Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Surgeon
Posts in topic: 12

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SMALL COMPACT SEMI FOR PETITE LADY

Post by Surgeon »

Good news and bad news.
Good news: Momma wants to get her LTC.
Bad news: Although she's a good shot, she's tiny with little hand strength needed for racking the slide and chambering a round.
We've discussed a .38 special for her conceal carry but she wants to test using a semi-auto.
So the question is; Can anyone recommend a small lightweight ladies compact semi auto that would be easier to rack/ chamber a round than say a Glock, 1911 or Beretta ? I've already shown her a number of recommended techniques to make it easier but....it ain't happening.
So if your wife/girl friend/ S.O. has or is using one that is near and dear to her heart feel free to share. I'm all ears.
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 2

Re: RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SMALL COMPACT SEMI FOR PETITE LADY

Post by ghostrider »

I'm not sure if its easier to rack the slide, but you may want to try a Sig P238 or P938. The P938 is easier to shoot than its small size would suggest; mind you its not an inexpensive choice..
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Topic author
Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

ghostrider wrote:I'm not sure if its easier to rack the slide, but you may want to try a Sig P238 or P938. The P938 is easier to shoot than its small size would suggest; mind you its not an inexpensive choice..
Thanks for the suggestion. Just looked up the price....they're proud of em aren't they.
I'll look into it. She's getting it for MY birthday... go figure?
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

My wife has small hands with little grip strength. She has a S&W 9mm Shield that she struggles to operate. The recoil is a little more than she likes, but she perseveres. We decided to try .380 pistols and after shooting several (6 or 7 ) different models she liked the Glock 42 the best. I steered her toward locking breech semi's since they are a little easier to rack. She shot the G42 well also. She did good with the SIG 238, but liked the Glock better. She doesn't know I bought her one for Christmas because two of our daughters have been out of town and we had to postpone Christmas until this weekend. You may want to find a range that will rent pistols for her to try, but I recommend locked breech over the blowback/recoil operated pistols in what ever caliber she can handle.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Post by troglodyte »

We've discussed a .38 special for her conceal carry but she wants to test using a semi-auto.
Just a reminder that there is no semi/non-semi license anymore. You can take the test with either and carry either.

I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

puma guy wrote:My wife has small hands with little grip strength. She has a S&W 9mm Shield that she struggles to operate. The recoil is a little more than she likes, but she perseveres. We decided to try .380 pistols and after shooting several (6 or 7 ) different models she liked the Glock 42 the best. I steered her toward locking breech semi's since they are a little easier to rack. She shot the G42 well also. She did good with the SIG 238, but liked the Glock better. She doesn't know I bought her one for Christmas because two of our daughters have been out of town and we had to postpone Christmas until this weekend. You may want to find a range that will rent pistols for her to try, but I recommend locked breech over the blowback/recoil operated pistols in what ever caliber she can handle.
Had not considered that. Good to know. I know of several ranges here in Houston that offer rentals so I think this weekend will be a range day and we'll do some tire kicking. Thanks, good info.

Topic author
Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

troglodyte wrote:
Just a reminder that there is no semi/non-semi license anymore. You can take the test with either and carry either.

I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Was not aware that part had changed. That makes things a lot easier. Thanks much

Topic author
Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

AndyC wrote:Take her to a gun store with a good range and let her try racking various examples.

:iagree:

bubba84

Post by bubba84 »

Walther PK380 is my wifes EDC. Its small enough to carry but still big enough to where its easily shot.

My 6 year old demonstrating the slide ease.

http://s302.photobucket.com/user/bci219 ... v.mp4.html

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

I would recommend teaching proper technique.
Just did this morning at the range with the wife and one of her friends.
Both women having trouble racking M&P Shields in 9mm (my recommendation).

This was taught to me and I taught them, assuming a right hand shooter:

Fleshy or butt of left hand on left side of slide.
Pinky, ring and middle finger of left hand on right side of slide, these fingers can apply much more force than the index finger and thumb.
Pull back and release. Can also assist by pushing frame forward with right hand.
Be sure to turn body enough to keep muzzle down range and trigger finger straight (not on trigger).

After a few minutes they were good to go, just requires proper technique and practice.
Can probably search you tube if needed.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The SIG P238 (.380ACP) is a very popular handgun with women. It's easy to rack the slide, it has real sights, and mild recoil. If she's left-handed, an ambi-safety kit is available.

Like all SIGs, they are overpriced. The best price Martha found was $519, with Tru Glo sights, at Academy.

Chas.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

flowrie wrote:I would recommend teaching proper technique.
Just did this morning at the range with the wife and one of her friends.
Both women having trouble racking M&P Shields in 9mm (my recommendation).

This was taught to me and I taught them, assuming a right hand shooter:

Fleshy or butt of left hand on left side of slide.
Pinky, ring and middle finger of left hand on right side of slide, these fingers can apply much more force than the index finger and thumb.
Pull back and release. Can also assist by pushing frame forward with right hand.
Be sure to turn body enough to keep muzzle down range and trigger finger straight (not on trigger).

After a few minutes they were good to go, just requires proper technique and practice.
Can probably search you tube if needed.
One more thing, do all of this in your "workspace".
Close to your chest and under your chin.
When a jar of pickles won't open, you don't try to open at arms length, you pull it up close in your "workspace" so you can apply more force.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

When my hands and forearms were greatly reduced in strength by stroke, I had my friend mill aditional groves in my slide and also applied skate board tape for additional grip.

Topic author
Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The SIG P238 (.380ACP) is a very popular handgun with women. It's easy to rack the slide, it has real sights, and mild recoil. If she's left-handed, an ambi-safety kit is available.

Like all SIGs, they are overpriced. The best price Martha found was $519, with Tru Glo sights, at Academy.

Chas.
That's kind of what I'm seeing too. I guess another trip to the gun shows, range and stores will produce something she can manage. But as it was mentioned she can test with either/or so maybe a nice revolver will do the trick.
Thanks Chas.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”