Winchester white box question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Winchester white box question

Post by cmgee67 »

Today I decided to go to the range and shoot a few out of my carry gun which is my G26. I had 100 rounds of perfecta brass and 200 rounds of Winchester white box. I have never had one issue trough my 26. After today she has about 700 rounds through her. It shot all the perfecta brass fine and I shot 150 of the Winchester. I had one failure to fire. So out of 250 rounds and 150 of it being Winchester I'm suspecting it was a bad primer? The G26 has never done that once before that's the only failure I have had with it. After it had the failure I took the round out an inspected it. Nothing looked out of the ordinary but I compared it to another piece of brass and the where the firing pin hit the primer it was not as deep as the others. I tried the round that didn't fire again and it fired. So I wonder if maybe it was just seated badly or something idk. I don't think it's the guns fault and I know the striker channel was clean because i am quite religious about keeping a clean carry pistol. Thoughts? Also I may add the strike on the primer seemed deep enough for it to go off. It didn't seem like a light primer strike

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Winchester white box question

Post by rotor »

In my experience the hardest primers are CCI followed by Winchester, Federal and Remington. Probably Win white box uses Winchester primers. I think that this is just one of those rare ammo problems that I would not be concerned with. Since you know the primer was struck reasonably well it is not the Glock's fault. Win WB is just good old cheap ammo for plinking and targets.

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I've had my s and m shield for 6 months and the only failures i had was with the winchester ammo. I had two jams from the one and only box of winchester i ever bought. No other failures or glitches from any of the other brands i've used. So far i have about 800 rounds thru my pistol. ;-)

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WWB also has a (somewhat deserved, IMHO) reputation for burning dirty. But I've never had failures to fire, or anything like that with it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Im pretty much certain it's the ammo because I have shot everything from steel cases and aluminum cased and brass of many brands and the Winchester is the only one I have ever had a prob with. Even with other firearms.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Could there be a correlation between striker fired pistols with FTfireF's to light strikes, as opposed to hammer fired pistols(with firing pins)? I am close to ignorant on striker fired guns, as I've never owned one, and probably never will. I have trust issued. But that's just me & I'm old. LOL.

But the only time I've had FTF's with hammer fired guns, I can only fault myself(ie: dirty firing pin channel, broken firing pin). Just a casual observation of one who's fired thousands of rounds of ammo thru firing pin guns. It has me scratching my head with the incidence of 'failure to fire' on striker fired guns as opposed to guns with a traditional firing pin gun. It just seems like there's more.....but maybe it's just me. :headscratch
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

loktite

Post by loktite »

Take Down Sicko wrote:I've had my s and m shield for 6 months and the only failures i had was with the winchester ammo. I had two jams from the one and only box of winchester i ever bought. No other failures or glitches from any of the other brands i've used. So far i have about 800 rounds thru my pistol. ;-)
Woah now!
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I think a good double action single action is a great gun but I just like the capacity I get with my Glocks "striker fired guns". I have fired almost 2000 through my Glock 19 9mm never had one failure to fire or jam. Same with my 26 except for today but like I said it eats every ammo and type of hollow point I can throw and I believe it just had a messed up bullet.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I,'ve used almost strictly 9mm Winchesterw WB .Although recently it's been the NATO designated stuff. I run it through a Berreta Storm SC a Berreta P92, and a River P95. Probably Over 2000 rounds. I've had 2 FTEs both with inexperienced shooters who were limp twisting, no failure to fires. I am wondering from the postings on this thread if the ammo might not like striker fired guns as much as those with hammers.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

My hammer-fired Tanfoglio BTA90 (CZ75 clone) likes Winchester White Box. FMJ for practice, JHP for practice and EDC. I have not noticed the Winchester ammo leaving any more or less residue than any other ammo I've used.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

BurtG

Post by BurtG »

So far, never had a problem of any type with Winchester WB here. This has been in three different CZs.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

loktite wrote:
Take Down Sicko wrote:I've had my s and m shield for 6 months and the only failures i had was with the winchester ammo. I had two jams from the one and only box of winchester i ever bought. No other failures or glitches from any of the other brands i've used. So far i have about 800 rounds thru my pistol. ;-)
Woah now!
"rlol" :smilelol5: :lol: "rlol" :smilelol5: :lol:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

WWB White Box in 9mm is the only factory ammo I have ever had a problem with. Probably 4 or 5 FTF over the last 4 or 5 years, one of which was on my DPS Instructor qual shoot in a Glock-19. Cost me 5 points. Not bad for practice and I do keep a box or two handy. Normally shoot my reloads and if a match or course requires factory, will shoot Blazer Brass or Federal before I do the WWB.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

S and M ????? I meant S and W "rlol"

dave_in_austin

Post by dave_in_austin »

Many (maybe 10 or 15) years ago I had a squib round in WWB 9mm. The primer fired and pushed the bullet a few inches into the barrel and did not cycle the action. There was no unburned powder to be found anywhere, so I guess that either it missed getting filled at all or the powder was spilled before the bullet was put in on the assembly line. I always wondered if some other round received a double charge of powder.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”