to wheelgun or not to wheelgun (9mm vs .357)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
craig_o
Posts in topic: 1

to wheelgun or not to wheelgun (9mm vs .357)

Post by craig_o »

I love revolvers. I love everything about revolvers except their capacity, but even that can be mitigated.

I'm very, very torn. I'm a young guy and getting ready to buy the first gun all over again (first was a Kahr Arms PM9 that was stolen). A big part of me wants the 3" GP100, a big part of me wants the 3" Springfield XD9 Subcompact. I know I will own a .357 and a 9mm in some order at some point in my life because I love both rounds, but the question is which comes first...

My thinking is that I'll either own a full size .357 (4" GP100 or maybe a 686+) and a compact 9mm (XD9SC), or a full size 9mm (think BHP) and a compact .357 (the 3" GP100 in question).

The idea is to carry either weapon in every day here in Texas.

Your advice and opinions are VERY welcome.
In Texas, we have the death penalty and we use it. In Texas, if you kill somebody we're gonna kill you back.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I prefer the semi-auto b/c it's so much easier to reload quickly.

Also, if you're looking at the XD, your magazine holds a lot more rounds.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

Go SA. All the way... Unless you wanna be Wyatt Earp :-D
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

There's a big difference in weight between a 3" GP100 and an XD Sub. I can think of a bunch of reasons to carry the semi over the wheelgun but speed of reloads in NOT one of them.
A revolver can be reloaded just as fast as a Semi. Just look at Jerry Miculek. ;-)

I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

iflyabeech

Post by iflyabeech »

Why not try out an XD 357? I love mine!

Thane

Post by Thane »

What, no 1911? :lol:

I'd carry the BHP as a primary, with a revolver as backup.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

I wanna be Jerry Miculek when I grow up. :lol:
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Fosforos

Post by Fosforos »

I would go with a compact semi auto if I had to choose just ONE weapon.
I have a Glock 19, Bersa 380CC and a S&W 686. Concealing the S&W will take some doing, I think I will only be able to carry it during the winter, or in my Maxpedition man-purse.

quidni

Post by quidni »

I have the best of both worlds.... a 3" Ruger SP101 in 9mm. And yes, while I do prefer to pack a .45, the SP101 does get a decent share of holster time.
:grin:
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Man those were massive light loads on that revolver...lets see him try it with full power hollowpoints like everyone else will using

Its different when you cowboy action shoot, and shoot trying to save your life
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

dws1117
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dws1117 »

Jerry Miculek just isn't human.

Go with what you shoot best, enjoy shooting, and will practice with enough to become proficient.

In my short amount of time carrying a gun I've carried SA and am currently carrying a S&W Model 19. While I love the 1911 probably more than any other platform, I've found the smaller wheel gun slightly easier to conceal and carry and although I give up capacity, as has been mentioned, I don't feel that I give up much in the power department. Heck I still carry a full sized 1911 from time to time. That's what works for me, but we are all different.

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

Molon_labe wrote:Man those were massive light loads on that revolver...lets see him try it with full power hollowpoints like everyone else will using

I watched Jerry shoot 3 different Stages at last years Texas IDPA State match and he was just as fast as shown in video and he was shooting factory 45 acp. I doubt those were "light Loads". Another fact is he actually uses a Heavy double action trigger pull (I think in the 12lb range but can't be sure) as it allows quicker trigger reset. After a couple 100 thousand rounds, you develop incredible wrist and forearm strength that makes it look easy.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

hoss4570

Post by hoss4570 »

I love to shoot my "six guns", but in my humble opinion a good auto is what you need to carry, unless your an old geezer like my Dad and carry a SP101 .357 loaded with .38s. I have tried and tried to get him to carry an auto, but he still packs around that little, dinky five shooter. What ever blows your skirt up, I reckon. :fire :fire
Life member N.R.A.
Take a kid shootin'
ALWAYS count your shots
PROUD C.H.L. holder

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Although I have a S&W625, I don't carry it as often. Capacity is my main reason but speed of reload is also an issue with me. Just not as fast as others here.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Molon_labe wrote:Man those were massive light loads on that revolver...lets see him try it with full power hollowpoints like everyone else will using

Are you talking about Miculek? That is funny! I promise you would not want Jerry Miculek shooting at you with a revolver...no matter what your weapon choice is. His revolver using IDPA power factor loads sound a lot like a machine gun :grin: and he is not missing.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”