300 Bllack-Out Feed Back Requested Please

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Sidro
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 300 Bllack-Out Feed Back Requested Please

Post by Sidro »

I have the 8.5" pistol with the Sig brace. No suppressor on it and I shoot the 110 grain V-max loads in it. Accuracy is great out to 250 yards with this setup and coyotes are generally dead right there. Feral hogs also fall to this load and setup. Fun gun to shoot and makes one heck of a truck gun due to the size. Would really like to make it a SBR but don't know that I want to put up with all the paperwork hassle. I have a 3x9 scope zeroed 2" high at 100 yards on it and 45 degree flip up sights zeroed at 50 yards on the gun.

Topic author
Surgeon
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Surgeon »

Sidro wrote:I have the 8.5" pistol with the Sig brace. No suppressor on it and I shoot the 110 grain V-max loads in it. Accuracy is great out to 250 yards with this setup and coyotes are generally dead right there. Feral hogs also fall to this load and setup. Fun gun to shoot and makes one heck of a truck gun due to the size. Would really like to make it a SBR but don't know that I want to put up with all the paperwork hassle. I have a 3x9 scope zeroed 2" high at 100 yards on it and 45 degree flip up sights zeroed at 50 yards on the gun.
Sounds like you've got it rigged out pretty nicely. And yeah not interest in the peppercorn hassle either. Most of the comments that I'm hearing back up what you're saying about limited distance and maximum punch. I'm convinced.
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LSUTiger »

Surgeon wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:I have been toying with the idea of 300 black out in 9" from radical. For the cost of the upper it's a no brainer. And for the cost of the ammo, for my limited purposes wont break the bank, but it is another caliber to stock.

I've shot 300 blk out SBR's before and they are lots of fun.
Kinda my thoughts too. I've checked other prices on uppers and Radical seems to offer some great cost saving leaving more play money for ammo and necessary toys....
BTW, I have to ask, did you go to LSU and what years? I was there until'78'. Geaux Tigers!
I did grad school at LSU in 2007, the season they won the 2008 BCS. Fun times.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Topic author
Surgeon
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Surgeon »

LSUTiger wrote:
Surgeon wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:I have been toying with the idea of 300 black out in 9" from radical. For the cost of the upper it's a no brainer. And for the cost of the ammo, for my limited purposes wont break the bank, but it is another caliber to stock.

I've shot 300 blk out SBR's before and they are lots of fun.
Kinda my thoughts too. I've checked other prices on uppers and Radical seems to offer some great cost saving leaving more play money for ammo and necessary toys....
BTW, I have to ask, did you go to LSU and what years? I was there until'78'. Geaux Tigers!
I did grad school at LSU in 2007, the season they won the 2008 BCS. Fun times.
Yeah , I think I was just a tad earlier than you. 08 was a great time for the Tigers!!!!
I only tried out for the golf team....
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

Weg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Weg »

Weg, how dirty is "dirty"? I have noticed that when shooting my 5.56 upper suppressed, even with the gas-piston system, if I remove the magazine while it still has rounds in it, the metal of the remaining cartridges is dull and obviously dirty with something, although it is more like a dulling of the metallic sheen, rather than visible crud. The magazines appear to get dirty faster too. The dirty cartridges feed just fine. Unsuppressed, the gun runs clean as a whistle with the GP operating system. It just gets a little noticeable dulling of the metal finish on the barrel around the gas block (it's a matte finish stainless barrel), which wipes right off. I'm asking all of this, because I'm curious how much of the dirt in your gun is from the pistol-length gas system, and how much is from the suppressor?
I find a large amount of un-burnt power in the lower, on the magazine, and on the carrier group. I have not done any extensive shooting unsuppressed so I can't comment on the whether it is different without a suppressor. I'm pretty sure the un-burnt powder is not coming down the gas tube as there never is any on the inside of the bolt carrier when I remove the bolt for cleaning, so I assume it is blowing back out of the chamber from the back pressure caused by the suppressor? I reload with AA1680, and at first I was very worried about the un-burnt powder, but since my velocities are consistent, along with group size, I quit worrying about it, but it's definitely un-burnt powder.This is all with .300 blackout subsonic handloads. With milsurp .556 suppressed I have no unburnt powder, just a lot more powder soot buildup in the receiver, much worse than without the suppressor.

txblackout
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txblackout »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
psijac wrote:IWI has released a 300 blk conversion kit for the Tavor. Also Sig MCX can be converted to a 300 black with a barrel and rod change. Both of those rifles are piston.
That's good information, thanks. Unfortunately, I've already registered the SBR for an AR lower, so for this build I'm committed to that platform. Perhaps when I decide on a 7.62x39 platform I'll take a look at the Sig. I know the TVOR is a fine weapon, but I just don't have a personal desire for a bullpup.
Weg wrote:
"One thing..... and others can correct me if this is wrong.... but it seems that the only way to get a suppressed .300 Blk SBR to cycle reliably in an AR platform is to (A) avoid gas-piston systems generally :grumble and (B) to stick to pistol-length gas systems specifically. That first one breaks my heart as I've become a devotee of gas-piston systems, and the direct impingement SBR upper will just end up pooping all over the innards of my 'til now pristine AR15...... which of course is perfect justification to build out another Spikes Tactical/Timney/MFT lower to keep my 5.56 carbine upper mounted on.
"

Mine has a pistol length gas system with a 16" barrel and it functions fine with everything, and yes, it gets very dirty, especially with the suppressor on it.
Weg, how dirty is "dirty"? I have noticed that when shooting my 5.56 upper suppressed, even with the gas-piston system, if I remove the magazine while it still has rounds in it, the metal of the remaining cartridges is dull and obviously dirty with something, although it is more like a dulling of the metallic sheen, rather than visible crud. The magazines appear to get dirty faster too. The dirty cartridges feed just fine. Unsuppressed, the gun runs clean as a whistle with the GP operating system. It just gets a little noticeable dulling of the metal finish on the barrel around the gas block (it's a matte finish stainless barrel), which wipes right off. I'm asking all of this, because I'm curious how much of the dirt in your gun is from the pistol-length gas system, and how much is from the suppressor?
It is very very dirty. dirty particles come out the charging handle and burn your eyes (unless you get a gas blocking charging handle). Magazines are filthy etc. even the gap between upper and lower will have crap coming through it.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”