Will You OC Using A Non-Retention Holster?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

WesTx
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Will You OC Using A Non-Retention Holster?

Post by WesTx »

All of my OWB holsters I will use do not have any straps, thumb breaks or built in retention mechanic. Not against it, just don't have any. All of my holsters do hang on to the gun pretty good and you have to draw straight out with some force to get it out.

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CoffeeNut »

No.

Since the holster and gun will no longer be compressed by my pants/belt I would like an extra layer of protection to keep the gun where it is supposed to be. For OWB/OC I'll be using a thumb-break and if I ever feel I need more than that I'll just CC.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RHenriksen wrote:I wish I knew what make/model of paddle holster in this video:

Looks like a Fobus. But consider this....... You try that on MY paddle holster, and because of my physique, you're just going to pull my pants down, and you still won't have the gun.......but you WILL have your face in my considerable (but shrinking) butt, and that is NOT a happy place to be, as I am inclined to fart whenever surprised.

But on second thought, that can't be a Fobus. They're not kydex, they are some kind of injection-molded plastic that is different from kydex.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Turns out it IS a Fobus. See the comments I've just exchanged with the video's maker.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LikWid
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by LikWid »

Most people who are going to go for your gun, and going to try to pull it UP, and out of the holster. What good is a video of him showing me, him telling someone to push down, therefore making it easier to break? Would it have been that easy if a smaller guy was pushing down on it? Would it have broken if NO ONE was pushing down on it? He also commented that it was an older version, looks nothing like my Fobus.

amtank
Posts in topic: 4

Post by amtank »

Skiprr wrote:
amtank wrote:What type of motors are Yall using?

Holster type for me is driven by gun size.
I'm sorry.

What?
If I carry my typical gun I conceal the only holster I have has no active retention. Two of my holsters for my large pistols all have some form of active retention. I am not going to be purchasing any more holsters so if I choose to carry the small 9mm then I will carry it without active retention.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

Embarrassing for the criminal. He had surprise on his side and still lost.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

amtank wrote:
Skiprr wrote:
amtank wrote:What type of motors are Yall using?

Holster type for me is driven by gun size.
I'm sorry.

What?
If I carry my typical gun I conceal the only holster I have has no active retention. Two of my holsters for my large pistols all have some form of active retention. I am not going to be purchasing any more holsters so if I choose to carry the small 9mm then I will carry it without active retention.
Gotcha. It was an auto-correct glitch that caused "holsters" to become "motors." Makes more sense now.

I haven't counted lately, but like many here I have, probably, 25 or 30 holsters. All but one of the OWB holsters--a leather one from Wilson Combat--were purchased for purposes other than daily open carry; all are Kydex or hybrids, most are Comp-Tech. Also like most who live in a urban area, I don't anticipate open-carrying except at the range.

But in the winter months I do sometimes opt for my Galco shoulder rig, and the law come January is very welcome so I can take off my jacket in an over-heated restaurant. I suffered through a dinner last January where the restaurant had the heat turned up to, I swear, 80 degrees...and I had to keep my sport-coat on the entire time.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

amtank

Post by amtank »

The motors comment was intentional actually. It was in reference to the rocketry.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
The Wall wrote:Didn't carry before OP, and won't after.
:headscratch Why do you not carry?
I'm thinking this is a typo, and that he meant to type "Didn't use a retention holster before OC, and won't after."
Thanks but that's not what I meant either. I made my post easier to understand. If you read the title of the topic and then my answer it would make sense. I don't carry now without a retention holster and won't after OC goes into effect.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

amtank wrote:The motors comment was intentional actually. It was in reference to the rocketry.
Austin Area Rocketry Group 585 http://aarg.org flies 1/8A to M motors in a large corn field between Hutto and Taylor on the first Saturday of the month. I'll be there this weekend with my 9mm pistol (in a retention holster) and 13mm to 29mm motors. ;-)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

amtank

Post by amtank »

oljames3 wrote:
amtank wrote:The motors comment was intentional actually. It was in reference to the rocketry.
Austin Area Rocketry Group 585 http://aarg.org flies 1/8A to M motors in a large corn field between Hutto and Taylor on the first Saturday of the month. I'll be there this weekend with my 9mm pistol (in a retention holster) and 13mm to 29mm motors. ;-)
I never got around to attending launches and getting a high power card. There were no clubs where I grew up. I guess it's a bad idea to let a teen watch October Sky with no direction and a helpful reference librarian.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

amtank wrote:
oljames3 wrote:
I never got around to attending launches and getting a high power card. There were no clubs where I grew up. I guess it's a bad idea to let a teen watch October Sky with no direction and a helpful reference librarian.
So now I know why you never replied to me.

You're what, maybe 13?
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”