Wilderness Tactical vs Leather Gun Belt

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Wilderness Tactical vs Leather Gun Belt

Post by suthdj »

suthdj wrote:
WildBill wrote:I own both leather and nylon belts. I use the nylon when I am wearing my cargo shorts or other less formal pants.

I two own Wilderness Tactical belts and like them. They are very stiff and good for a full size handgun.

I brand that also like is the Uncle Mike belt. I don't care for most of their products, but I do like the Reinforced Instructor belt.

First of all they are cheaper than the Wildness Tactical and have a two day delivery time. About $33 on Amazon Prime with free shipping.

Second you can buy them in small, medium, large and ex-large so you get more adjustment room than the Wilderness Tactical.

I recently bought the Uncle Mike and really like it. They are not as well built or as stiff as the Wilderness belts, but do a decent job.

The only disadvantage is that they only come in black. :tiphat:
I bought the uncle mikes last night $26 and change and free next day delivery with prime.
Sadly disappointed in this belt, it wasn't big enough for my waist must be something wrong with belt.

Really is a nice belt will be ordering a larger one soon.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

A bit of brag: Yesterday, I bought a "Beltman" Elephant belt with a matching key hanger with a Texas star concho.

I should have them in about a month or so.

I placed the order with Jim, the owner of "Beltman" and enjoyed a great conversation with him. I really like the guy.

Topic author
Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Taypo »

Abraham wrote:A bit of brag: Yesterday, I bought a "Beltman" Elephant belt with a matching key hanger with a Texas star concho.

I placed the order with Jim, the owner of "Beltman" and enjoyed a great conversation with him. I really like the guy.
That's a pretty good lead time. My leather guy (Thompson Tactical) is backed up about 8 weeks right now.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Never tried a Wilderness belt. My current nylon is a great belt from Volund Gearworks. Really like the low profile hook they use.

I found a Wilderness 5-stitch Instructor belt on clearance at Midway and ordered one Monday. $36 delivered, including an $0.86 round up for NRA. ;-) Seemed like a great price for a belt that lots of folks rave about. Looking forward to trying it.

I'd love to find a nice leather belt... something borderline "dressy" that I could wear with slacks but doesn't look out of place with nice bluejeans (my usual work attire). Once I settle on a good OWB carry holster (with retention), I'll be looking to invest in a good leather belt. I've carried concealed AIWB for so long nobody has seen my belt in quite some time, so, nylon has been an easy choice. Looking forward to trying concealed OWB and dressing up a bit. :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:A bit of brag: Yesterday, I bought a "Beltman" Elephant belt with a matching key hanger with a Texas star concho.

He is a great guy. I have three of his belts. None of them are Elephant hide. :totap:
NRA Endowment Member

glazer1972

Post by glazer1972 »

Aegis Enhanced Belt- Ares Gear beats the pants off a Wilderness Tactical. The Aegis belt has a boy scout style buckle which doesn't require velcro. Velcro will wear out resulting in a useless belt. The Aegis is also much stiffer than the Wilderness 5 stitch. If you look at them though they are much higher but considering how many wilderness ones I was going through on account of the velcro issue the Aegis is the better value for me.

DanD
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DanD »

The Aegis Enhanced Belt- Ares Gear costs around $121 and the original Wilderness Instructors Belt costs around $43. I could get almost 3 Wilderness belts for the cost of 1 Aegis Enhanced Belt. I have been wearing a 5 stitch Wilderness belt for a little over 2 years and it shows almost no wear, is still stiff, and the velcro is like new.

I did look at a few reviews of the Aegis Enhanced Belt and it does look like a good belt, but it is a bit out of my price range. Here is one of the reviews I looked at http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... egis-belt/
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

RoyGBiv wrote:Never tried a Wilderness belt. My current nylon is a great belt from Volund Gearworks. Really like the low profile hook they use.

I found a Wilderness 5-stitch Instructor belt on clearance at Midway and ordered one Monday. $36 delivered, including an $0.86 round up for NRA. ;-) Seemed like a great price for a belt that lots of folks rave about. Looking forward to trying it.

I'd love to find a nice leather belt... something borderline "dressy" that I could wear with slacks but doesn't look out of place with nice bluejeans (my usual work attire). Once I settle on a good OWB carry holster (with retention), I'll be looking to invest in a good leather belt. I've carried concealed AIWB for so long nobody has seen my belt in quite some time, so, nylon has been an easy choice. Looking forward to trying concealed OWB and dressing up a bit. :mrgreen:
ROYGBIV -
I have found that a cordovan leather belt, rather than black, seems less formal, and goes well with jeans and other slacks.
In addition to my two black bullhide belts, I bought one of them from the Beltman.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

suthdj wrote:
suthdj wrote:
WildBill wrote:I own both leather and nylon belts. I use the nylon when I am wearing my cargo shorts or other less formal pants.

I two own Wilderness Tactical belts and like them. They are very stiff and good for a full size handgun.

I brand that also like is the Uncle Mike belt. I don't care for most of their products, but I do like the Reinforced Instructor belt.

First of all they are cheaper than the Wildness Tactical and have a two day delivery time. About $33 on Amazon Prime with free shipping.

Second you can buy them in small, medium, large and ex-large so you get more adjustment room than the Wilderness Tactical.

I recently bought the Uncle Mike and really like it. They are not as well built or as stiff as the Wilderness belts, but do a decent job.

The only disadvantage is that they only come in black. :tiphat:
I bought the uncle mikes last night $26 and change and free next day delivery with prime.
Sadly disappointed in this belt, it wasn't big enough for my waist must be something wrong with belt.

Really is a nice belt will be ordering a larger one soon.
I am sorry you had that problem. I should have mentioned that I had the same issue.
I followed the advice of some of the Amazon reviewers, rather than Uncle Mike's guidelines, and had to return my belt for the larger size.
Fortunately the replacement only cost $4.50 for shipping the old belt back.
I had my replacement in three days.
NRA Endowment Member

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

I ordered both my Wilderness belts 7 or 8 years ago. They fit very well at the time, less well as I gained a bunch of weight. I've lost that 60 lbs. and am wearing those belts once more.

As far as the Velcro goes, that has not been a problem. I understand that you can return the belts for new Velcro for a nominal fee. I've not done that, nor had to. Both belts have held up very well, so far.

My Beltman belts have been extremely durable and completely satisfactory. I got them with Velcro inside, the idea being the holster could Velcro to the belt. I never paid much attention to that, and cannot recommend it.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”