Status of Taurus Curve

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Eric Lamberson
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Status of Taurus Curve

Post by Eric Lamberson »

I teach low light classes. I always require every student to learn to use a hand held light because--If you use your pistol light to search, you are potentially pointing your pistol in an unsafe direction (e.g. at an innocent person). Several police officers have taken my classes with issue pistol/light combinations. They learn to use a hand held for searching and are then free to go to the pistol light to engage.

I believe that is the point.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

Topic author
DonFromTexas
Posts in topic: 9

Post by DonFromTexas »

OK, I understand the reasoning now. If it is however dark and I don't HAVE a flashlight handy, I still can use the gun light as a flashlight. I have seen so many cases of a family member trying to get into the house without disturbing the owners for instance, getting shot because that moving figure seemed to be a threat. I would choose to know WHO I am shooting at before firing, again an old combat thing, friendly fire kills lots of our own soldiers.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

DonFromTexas wrote:OK, I understand the reasoning now. If it is however dark and I don't HAVE a flashlight handy, I still can use the gun light as a flashlight. I have seen so many cases of a family member trying to get into the house without disturbing the owners for instance, getting shot because that moving figure seemed to be a threat. I would choose to know WHO I am shooting at before firing, again an old combat thing, friendly fire kills lots of our own soldiers.
But the point made by Eric Lamberson is you do not want to muzzle sweep your family members with a gun either. If you are pointing your handgun's weapon light at them you are also pointing your muzzle.

Now Mas Ayoob and some other instructors make the point that one can searching a room by using indirect light from the gun-mounted light. Pointing towards the floor at low ready will still provide enough indirect light to identify a threat without pointing the muzzle at them, and to move from low ready to muzzle on target is very quick.

That said, I personally would not purchase a brand new Taurus model for self defense. Companies with much higher quality reputations such as Glock, Smith & Wesson, and Ruger have all had recalls related to new product introductions. I certainly wouldn't be buying a new model Taurus. I am done with buying the latest and greatest model of any gun from any manufacturer as soon as it hits the market, especially if it is a significantly new design. Adding a new color or a different sight, I have no worries there.

If a combo light/laser is drawing you to this gun, you could also look at something like a Streamlight TLR-4. It would give you a much higher quality unit that can go onto any railed handgun.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

After looking at the curve and doing some reading on it I have come to the personal conclusion that it is more of a gimmick type of gun. Every manufacturer is looking for something new and innovative, just do not think this is it..... guess time will tell....
Salty1

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

Salty1 wrote:After looking at the curve and doing some reading on it I have come to the personal conclusion that it is more of a gimmick type of gun. Every manufacturer is looking for something new and innovative, just do not think this is it..... guess time will tell....
i saw one at the gun show saturday. I wasnt impressed. I didnt like the fact it didnt have any "normal" sights.

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

Current status: bent out of shape.

"rlol"
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 3
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Eric and Jumping Frog:

Thank you for explaining the "sweeping" aspect I touched upon earlier, with regards
to using a pistol-mounted light. I had not fully explained the concept in my post.

With regard to buying a new model firearm that MAY have problems, the Taurus Curve
has a definite problem, since the Taurus website explains how to return one.

Sure, maybe it's just etching the caliber on the weapon, but when you think about a
straight magazine matching up properly with a curved pistol, what could possibly go wrong?

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
DonFromTexas
Posts in topic: 9

Post by DonFromTexas »

Tired of waiting for the Curve, I bought a Kel-Tek P-3AT this morning. It will do me just fine until I can find something I like better.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”