Range Failure?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Range Failure?

Post by sjfcontrol »

Students get three tries to pass the written test, and the proficiency test. I presume if they fail the written test three times, they get to re-take the course if they want to continue the effort. Is the same true if they fail the proficiency test three times? Has anybody ever had this happen? If so, how did you handle it? How would sitting in class another 10 hours improve their shooting skills?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

unhappycamper

Re: Range Failure?

Post by unhappycamper »

The shooting tests is easy. If a student hits the large center scoring area (11x17 or maybe a little larger) with all of their rounds at 3 yards and 7 yards, they can completely miss all their 15 yard shots and still pass with an 80. They can even get 1/2 the 7 round shots in the 4 point zone and pass with a 70. If they haven't passed after three tries, how would spraying and praying 50 rounds at the target again improve their shooting skills?

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

unhappycamper wrote:The shooting tests is easy. If a student hits the large center scoring area (11x17 or maybe a little larger) with all of their rounds at 3 yards and 7 yards, they can completely miss all their 15 yard shots and still pass with an 80. They can even get 1/2 the 7 round shots in the 4 point zone and pass with a 70. If they haven't passed after three tries, how would spraying and praying 50 rounds at the target again improve their shooting skills?

I know the test is easy. This is a hypothetical situation. What are the options, if any? (The student could always take a basic pistol class, and practice to improve his/her skills.)
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

unhappycamper wrote:The shooting tests is easy. If a student hits the large center scoring area (11x17 or maybe a little larger) with all of their rounds at 3 yards and 7 yards, they can completely miss all their 15 yard shots and still pass with an 80. They can even get 1/2 the 7 round shots in the 4 point zone and pass with a 70. If they haven't passed after three tries, how would spraying and praying 50 rounds at the target again improve their shooting skills?
Don't be so sure. When I initially got my CHL another person in the class was told to go home and get some practice time before coming back for the shooting portion after less than 10 shots at 3 yards. She did not even get all of her shots on her paper. It was the first time she had ever shot gun and was renting a revolver. She had passed the written portion just fine.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

In 12 years, we have only had 1 student to actually outright fail. He was thrown off the range and told not to come back. You can't point a gun at an instructor and pass. You do it twice and you don't even get to come back and try again.

We have had some other students who "failed", but not because they shot 3 times and didn't qualify. It is pretty clear to me that, if you can't do it in 2 attempts, you probably won't be able to do it in 3. For those people, we offer a coaching session, or a basic pistol class before they make that 3rd attempt. A few of those have been too embarassed, or for whatever reason, just never came back, so we had to put them down as "failed".
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

unhappycamper

Post by unhappycamper »

What's the procedure? Do you mark them failed on the original class form and then if they come back and shoot a passing score mark them as passed on a later class completion form? Do you mark classroom passed and leave the range part of the CHL-100 blank until they pass (or fail a third time)?

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

If any of my students fail the shooting test, I offer them my 15-minute fundamental session at the end of class. So far, everyone has accepted and passed on their second attempt.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Griz44

Post by Griz44 »

I have only ever failed one student at the range, she shot a hole in the loading table, so I took her gun away from her.
She came back a few weeks later and got some handling and skills help. She passed after re-qualifying.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”