Costs for instructors course?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Costs for instructors course?

Post by Crossfire »

It is no rumor. As of now, DPS requires NRA, POST, or TCLEOSE certification before taking the CHL instructor course.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

As hillfighter noted, my post you quoted was from Feb. 18, 2009 and things have changed. It is clear that anyone seeking their first certification as a CHL instructor will have to already have NRA/TCLEOSE/"Other" certification to attend the CHL Instructor Course. It's undetermined whether renewing CHL Instructors will have to meet this requirement.

Chas.
fish wrote:If I don't have my Pistol instructors certification will the DPS CHL Instructors class cover this?

If I follow the post below I can get my certification to teach the CHL class if I go through the 4 day class at the DPS in Austin.

Thanks,
Chris
Charles L. Cotton wrote:As others have said, the DPS course fee is $100, plus 100 rds of ammo (minimum), hotel and either 3 or 4 days off work. (3 days if you are already an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, otherwise 4 days.)

Chas.

bwilie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bwilie »

In order to take the DPS CHL instructor course you now HAVE to be a certified instructor (TCLEOSE, NRA,etc). They have a new application form you print from DPS (new CHL-90).

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetFo ... CHL-90.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although not officially posted by DPS yet, even the current CHL instructors are going to have to have these credentials as well when they renew.
TX CHL Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection in the Home
NRA Range Safety Officer

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

bwilie wrote:Although not officially posted by DPS yet, even the current CHL instructors are going to have to have these credentials as well when they renew.
While this is likely to occurr, DPS has not made any such statement.

cw3van

Post by cw3van »

hillfighter wrote:
fish wrote:If I don't have my Pistol instructors certification will the DPS CHL Instructors class cover this?
In 2009 it would. Rumor says in 2013 DPS is going to enforce the NRA/TCLEOSE handgun instructor certification requirement for some people but not everyone, even though 411.190 requires at least one of these for all CHL instructors.

Code: Select all

(1) is certified by the Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education or under Chapter 1702, Occupations Code, to instruct others in the use of handguns;
(2) regularly instructs others in the use of handguns and has graduated from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors; or
(3) is certified by the National Rifle Association of America as a handgun instructor. 
The new CHL 90 that's online says you have to be a TCLEOSE Instructor, Private Security Firearms Instructor, or NRA Pistol Instructor before you will be accepted in the CHL Instructor program. :txflag:
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

Return to “Instructors' Corner”