Got an email from DPS today about Instructor Renewal

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
garcia946
Posts in topic: 1

Got an email from DPS today about Instructor Renewal

Post by garcia946 »

Got this email today concerning my renewal , has anyone else got it yet?
Next in my mind , shouldn't already being an Instructor shouldn't we be in option D in the FAQs ? Just saying....

This communication is being sent to each of you regarding the CHL Instructor renewal process.

The renewal period for CHL Instructors is not set to begin until six (6) months prior to the certificate expiration. Unfortunately, a renewal notification was mailed too early to those CHL Instructors whose certificate expires on December 31, 2013. We apologize for the miscommunication and want to ensure each of you is provided accurate information regarding the renewal requirements.

Regulatory Services Division (RSD) is requesting each CHL Instructor provide a completed CHL-90 (Concealed Handgun Instructor Supplemental Information) Form (attached – also available in the downloadable forms section located on our website). The completed form may be emailed to RSD_LRS_CHL@dps.texas.gov. This will enable RSD to work with each applicant independently to ensure all qualifications are met well in advance of the expiration date. For more information regarding the requirements noted on this form, please see our frequently asked questions (#44) found on our website at: http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Additionally, as you know, part of the renewal process includes continuing education training provided by the Department. Since there is proposed legislation that could impact the renewal training, RSD has not finalized the renewal procedures. Once the session has concluded, RSD will reach out to each CHL Instructor and provide information on the final procedures for completing the renewal process.

Should you have additional questions, we may be contacted at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Regulatory Services Division

License and Registration Service

Here is question #44

44. Do you have to be National Rifle Association (NRA) certified to become a certified Concealed Handgun instructor in Texas?

In order to become a certified CHL instructor, you must meet all the eligibility criteria under the Texas Government Code, §411.172 and §411.190. This includes proof you are currently certified to instruct others in the use of handguns (firearm instructor) as listed below:
A. Certified by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (TCLEOSE) as a firearm instructor - supporting documentation includes a copy of your TCLEOSE firearm instructor certificate. (Must be a firearm instructor, basic instructor is not sufficient.)

B. Certified under the Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 1702, (Private Security Act) as a firearm instructor – supporting documentation includes a copy of the Private Security instructor registration.

C. Certified by the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) as a firearm instructor – supporting document includes a copy of certificate of training and a copy your unexpired NRA credentials. ( Must be certified to instructor handgun/pistol)

D. Proof of graduation from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors. (Applicants under this section must regularly instruct others in the use of handguns.)
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

howdy

Re: Got an email from DPS today about Instructor Renewal

Post by howdy »

I got the same email today. It clears up absolutely NOTHING. What a complete waste of energy and time. They will let us know at the end of September what CE will be required for renewal. I guess I will sign up for another NRA Instructor Course. Mine expired 11 years ago AFTER I became a CHL Instructor. (OK...enough whining)
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

I got the same email earlier today. And yes, I would think that option (D) would apply to us, BUT there's been a good deal of discussion as to whether it does or does not. Many of us are looking to pick up the NRA Basic Pistol instructor's cert for this reason.

I would argue (philosophically) that since, at least up until recently, candidates who were not already either NRA or TECLOSE certified, or certified under some other nationally recognized program were allowed to take a 40-hour class as opposed to the abbreviated class, that the extra class time served to provide the information that is exempted by the NRA's BIT or TECLOSE's certifications.

BUT that has come into question. And the other provision for the exemption is that one regularly instructs students in the use of handguns; while, in fact you can go through the 40 hour class, gain a CHL instructor's certificate, and never actually teach a class. . . in which case, I'd have to agree that you wouldn't meet any definition of "regularly instructs"

SOOO....we're all waiting with baited breath to see what the ruling actually is. Some have asked auditors and gotten both answers. Some have asked DPS and not gotten clear answers...

SO...I suppose I could answer your question in short form by saying "you'd think so, but we don't know yet."
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

infoman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by infoman »

I can tell all current instructors that option "D" will not be satisfied simply by being an active Texas CHL instructor. I would highly recommend all active instructors to get your NRA stuff squared away ASAP.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

infoman wrote:I can tell all current instructors that option "D" will not be satisfied simply by being an active Texas CHL instructor. I would highly recommend all active instructors to get your NRA stuff squared away ASAP.
Yep. :tiphat: I am registered & waiting for next month.
BTW after completing the pistol & BIT course haw log does it take to get the Certificates in the mail?????
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

wally775

Post by wally775 »

You should have gotten a certificate of completion at the class or at least I received one.
I would think this would suffice. Once you are registered online at the NRA site you are good
to teach and can order materials. The instructors site is I am told updted every 24 with any changes.
To your question as posed I cannot say. It took me 105 days. I still have not received my card for some
of the other classes. The credentials group are really snowed right now.
Hope this helps.
:tiphat:

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

wally775 wrote:You should have gotten a certificate of completion at the class or at least I received one.
I would think this would suffice. Once you are registered online at the NRA site you are good
to teach and can order materials. The instructors site is I am told updted every 24 with any changes.
To your question as posed I cannot say. It took me 105 days. I still have not received my card for some
Hope this helps.

You are correct. A scanned copy of the certificate of completion is what I used for verification for my trip to Austin on April 1-5. We were told NRA is 6 - 8 weeks behind in getting out certificates due to having only 2 staff members attempting to keep up with all of the records.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

cw3van

Post by cw3van »

kg5ie wrote:
wally775 wrote:You should have gotten a certificate of completion at the class or at least I received one.
Hope this helps.

You are correct. A scanned copy of the certificate of completion is what I used for verification for my trip to Austin on April 1-5. We were told NRA is 6 - 8 weeks behind in getting out certificates due to having only 2 staff members attempting to keep up with all of the records.
:iagree: That's all you have to do.
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

infoman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by infoman »

As far as getting your instructor certificate "renewed", nothing will happen until July. You may possibly still need to either take an online exam, send in a CHL-100, or come to Austin. DPS literally doesn't know yet & won't know until July. But, one of the requirements will be to provide a CHL-90 & your NRA info w/ that.

Max1775

Post by Max1775 »

I have to renew before June. My checklist is showing that I need to submit a new CHL 90. I don't know what to do... :banghead:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Max1775 wrote:I have to renew before June. My checklist is showing that I need to submit a new CHL 90. I don't know what to do... :banghead:
You mean your actual CHL is up before June? That is independent of your Instructor Certification which does not expire until end of 2013 at minimum.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

6 Point Star
Posts in topic: 9

Post by 6 Point Star »

So far no one has addressed this issue that I have seen, especially for those who had the NRA Pistol Certification but let it expire during the time when the NRA required you to teach at least one class a year to keep it. Yea, I am in that situation. When I started teaching CHL I had all of them but DPS did not seem interested in them and NRA kept bugging me to teach their classes so I let it expire in 2006 which is to long for them to reinstate them. They will only do it since 2008, 2008 seems arbutary to me.

"D. Proof of graduation from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors. (Applicants under this section must regularly instruct others in the use of handguns.)"

Would not the now expired certification meet the requirement of "proof of graduation" if you are active in teaching a "handgun 101" class for those that take your CHL classes and don't shoot we'll. Or am I just reading something in to it that is not there?

Jerry

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

6 Point Star wrote:So far no one has addressed this issue that I have seen, especially for those who had the NRA Pistol Certification but let it expire during the time when the NRA required you to teach at least one class a year to keep it. Yea, I am in that situation. When I started teaching CHL I had all of them but DPS did not seem interested in them and NRA kept bugging me to teach their classes so I let it expire in 2006 which is to long for them to reinstate them. They will only do it since 2008, 2008 seems arbutary to me.

"D. Proof of graduation from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors. (Applicants under this section must regularly instruct others in the use of handguns.)"

Would not the now expired certification meet the requirement of "proof of graduation" if you are active in teaching a "handgun 101" class for those that take your CHL classes and don't shoot we'll. Or am I just reading something in to it that is not there?

Jerry
Hi Jerry and welcome to the Forum.

NRA certification certainly would meet the "nationally accepted course . . .", but the problem with an inactive or expired NRA Instructor trying to use the "other" category (as opposed to NRA or TCLEOSE) that that the Gov't Code requires people relying upon the "other" category to be "regularly" teaching that course. This is not required of people with either NRA or TCLEOSE certifications.

Chas.
Tex. Gov't Code §411.190 wrote:QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTORS. (a) The director may certify as a qualified handgun instructor a person who:

(1) is certified by the Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education or under Chapter 1702, Occupations Code, to instruct others in the use of handguns;

(2) regularly instructs others in the use of handguns and has graduated from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors; or

(3) is certified by the National Rifle Association of America as a handgun instructor.

6 Point Star
Posts in topic: 9

Post by 6 Point Star »

(2) regularly instructs others in the use of handguns and has graduated from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors; or

OK, Thanks, I did not read it that way. "Regularly instructs others in the use of handguns" did not specifically say that it had to be that course to me. It seemed to me that if that were the case then it would be no different than having the NRA Certification and teaching the NRA Course.

Anyone have an example of what would fall under this category?

Jerry

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

6 Point Star wrote:
Anyone have an example of what would fall under this category?
Perhaps someone certified by one of the well-known national schools like:

Suarez International Staff Instructor
Rob Pincus' I.C.E. Certified Training Instructors
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Instructors' Corner”