DL Photos on CHL

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
DFWTT
Posts in topic: 4

DL Photos on CHL

Post by DFWTT »

So a couple of my last students reported the use of their existing DL photo on their CHL when they received it I haven't had this happen until now. Has something changed with the way DPS is doing things regarding photos? I know they were in the process of making a change.

AEA
Posts in topic: 3

Re: DL Photos on CHL

Post by AEA »

I know renewals do not require another picture if DPS does not specifically request one. Same with fingerprints.

New applications, discussed somewhere, that DPS may also use the picture on the applicant's TXDL, but I do not know if that actually is in place or not. That's the way it should have been in the first place anyway!
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

JustMe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JustMe »

AEA wrote: That's the way it should have been in the first place anyway!
I was younger in my DL photo! Ah, the advantages of being able to renew by mail!
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

Topic author
DFWTT

Post by DFWTT »

Exactly, In one case the DL pic was 16yrs old. The man might have been 25 but is now in his 40's.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Well, I cannot respond further to that. Sorry.
Maybe Charles will chime in on the exact aspect of the changes.
1911's RULE!

JeepGuy79

Post by JeepGuy79 »

I renewed my 7 year old driver license and they kept the photo but used the new photos from my application on my texas chl. On my DL I have a lot more hair on my head and none on my face and my CHL I have a lot less hair and a terrorist looking beard. I wish they had used my DL photo lol.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Good example of why they should be the same. :thumbs2:
1911's RULE!

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

On those licences, what was the color of the background? Txdl is typically blue and CHL required to be white.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
DFWTT

Post by DFWTT »

White, off white is representative of my photos, also proved to be accepted by US Dept of State as well as DPS in license issuance. That was what was submitted. The DL photo DPS used was from 16yrs ago, color was off white.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

DFWTT wrote:White, off white is representative of my photos, also proved to be accepted by US Dept of State as well as DPS in license issuance. That was what was submitted. The DL photo DPS used was from 16yrs ago, color was off white.
Is that typical? I haven't been in TX for 16 years, but my DL's have always had a blue background.
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
DFWTT

Post by DFWTT »

Yea, this was the weird case. It is starting to happen repeatedly, the use of DL photos. I was wondering if it was me or a trend that others have noticed.

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

sjfcontrol wrote:On those licences, what was the color of the background? Txdl is typically blue and CHL required to be white.
My son just received a new CHL (due to address change) and the picture was an older picture from his DL that had a blue background.

BTW, I just renewed my DL (Feb 29th). I was forced to go to the local DPS office because the online system would not let me renew. Had to do new thumb prints and new picture. I was told to take my eye glasses off. When I stated, I was sure they would not cause a reflection of the flash, I was informed that the glasses would interfere with the 'retina identification'. Say what? I do not know if the DPS employee was pulling my leg or serious.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

alexrex20

Post by alexrex20 »

i hope they don't use the photo from my TXDL! it's 9 years old (and 40lbs lighter) but for some reason when i renewed my TXDL online a few years ago, it got a few shades darker... it doesn't even look like me!

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

i8godzilla wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:On those licences, what was the color of the background? Txdl is typically blue and CHL required to be white.
My son just received a new CHL (due to address change) and the picture was an older picture from his DL that had a blue background.

BTW, I just renewed my DL (Feb 29th). I was forced to go to the local DPS office because the online system would not let me renew. Had to do new thumb prints and new picture. I was told to take my eye glasses off. When I stated, I was sure they would not cause a reflection of the flash, I was informed that the glasses would interfere with the 'retina identification'. Say what? I do not know if the DPS employee was pulling my leg or serious.
You're now required to remove glasses for the CHL pictures, too. I doubt, though, that it has anything to do with 'retina ident'. THAT sounds like an urban legend to me.
Never Forget. Image

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

All I know is that DPS has had plans to use Texas DL photos for some time. This is a guess, but I suspect they are trying the system to make sure it works before dropping the photo requirement for initial students who have a Texas DL.

Chas.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”