packing in class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: packing in class

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Let me see . . . have I ever heard of a CHL shooting the mirror in his bedroom? . . . Ah, no I haven't. Do I remember fellow officers shooting the mirror in the squad room while practicing their quick draw? . . . As a matter of fact I do, more than one. Do I recall a fellow officer shooting his briefcase sitting on the front seat of his car? Ah . . . yes I do! Do I recall an officer having an AD when he reholstered with his finger on the trigger at dept. qualifications? As a matter of fact, yes I do. Do I remember COPS drawing their revolvers and automatics at dept. qualifications only to find green "leather corrosion" on the muzzle. Again, yes I do! Do I remember any officer . . . well, you get the idea.

If anyone thinks COPS are master pistoleros, you haven't been around many COPS. There is no more reason to distrust a room full of CHL instructors than there is to distrust a room full of COPS. In fact, if the COPS aren't firearms instructors, there's a lot more reason to fear them than the CHL instructors. Except for a relatively few officers, COPS can't shoot and their gun handling skills are deplorable. Ask any experienced shooter who is a COP and they will agree. We used to actively recruit COPS to shoot our IDPA matches and we gave up because they didn't want to be "shown up by civilians." The COPS who do shoot with us just shake their heads.

A friend who spend 28 years with Houston PD said it best; if you see a COP unsnapping his holster HIT THE DIRT! This came from a guy with a lot of gun fighting experience.

Chas.

Edited to add: This is tongue-in-cheek.
Glad you added the last part Charles; I thought I was gonna have to call you on LEO bashing. ;-)

These are very true statements. My brother was a cop in a department for 30+ years, and Chief for 6 of them. He saw several ND's that occurred with officers 'playing' with their guns. A lot of cops many times don't shoot except at semi-annual or even annual qualifications, and then when they shoot they barely pass. There are also those that 'think' they are gun experts and prove they aren't when they end up having a ND. And, even if you are very familiar with them, you can have make mistakes. He had an ND by the armorer when he was routineing their Glocks; the bullet passed through a wall into the break-room on the other side and into the microwave (must have been those super strong magnetic forces emitted from the microwave that pulled the trigger of the Glock and not the armorers booger hook :nono: ). LOL

Even in my 4 years as a LEO I saw one ND during qualification, and know of one while re-holstering.

So, IMO, like Charles stated, keeping your gun concealed, being very familiar with safety rules and running them through your head constantly, and being a 'gun' person keeps most CHL's from having issues.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

charleyenglish

Post by charleyenglish »

I think the one main reason they don't want any packing is they don't want any confusion as to what gun is loaded and what gun is not loaded. If someone pulled out a loaded gun to show someone something and then got interrupted and set that gun down and someone else picked up the live gun.
They just try to make it as sterile as possible, so there are no screw ups from excited students.
Charley English
charleyenglish@gmail.com
432-210-4962

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

armedforfreedom wrote:I think the one main reason they don't want any packing is they don't want any confusion as to what gun is loaded and what gun is not loaded. If someone pulled out a loaded gun to show someone something and then got interrupted and set that gun down and someone else picked up the live gun.
They just try to make it as sterile as possible, so there are no screw ups from excited students.
Rule #1
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
Bill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Bill »

Why would you show anyone anyway, this is not smart, maybe on a range but not in a classroom. If you want to see my loaded gun see me at the range otherwise it stays holstered 100% of the time, Except while cleaning and we know Glocks don't need cleaning :banghead:
retired CHL Instructor

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

pbwalker wrote:
armedforfreedom wrote:I think the one main reason they don't want any packing is they don't want any confusion as to what gun is loaded and what gun is not loaded. If someone pulled out a loaded gun to show someone something and then got interrupted and set that gun down and someone else picked up the live gun.
Rule #1
Amen.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

GrannyGlock

Post by GrannyGlock »

If you have a license you may carry, but it must remain concealed and you may not take it out for any reason unless you NEED it for self-defense.

As you become instructors, you must be very aware of your gun handling skills which includes safe gun handling and NO GUN HANDLING IN PUBLIC, EVEN AROUND OTHER CHL HOLDERS. You will be held to the highest standards.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”