Questions on approved courses

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Tha_Veteran
Posts in topic: 3

Questions on approved courses

Post by Tha_Veteran »

I have applied to become an instructor and got my packet today. I have taken several pistol courses while in the military because it was my primary weapon. Since it was my primary weapon there is really no documentation on what courses I have taken. I can provide my MOS, and maybe a list of courses. Is there anything that I can do. :bigear:

Thanks i advanced.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" - T. Roosevelt

11/01/09 Class Taken
11/05/09 Packet sent
11/10/09 Packet received
11/27/09 Processing Application
12/10/09 Application Completed - license issued
12/14/09 Plastic in Hand

Papacub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Questions on approved courses

Post by Papacub »

The only suggestion I can make is to call DPS CHL section or email them and find out if what you have is good enough. The email address is CHLinstructors@txdps.state.tx.us
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified RSO
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA

Topic author
Tha_Veteran

Post by Tha_Veteran »

Thanks Papacub, I will get on that asap. :tiphat:

11/01/09 Class Taken
11/05/09 Packet sent
11/10/09 Packet received
12/14/09 Plastic in Hand

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MoJo »

Your DD214 should have all the training you recieved while in the military. Were you an instructor?
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
Tha_Veteran

Post by Tha_Veteran »

No not an instructor. I was a Tanker, my primary weapon was the M9.

11/01/09 Class Taken
11/05/09 Packet sent
11/10/09 Packet received
12/14/09 Plastic in Hand

Bill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bill »

I see you are in Denton, my sister has an auto repair shop Charlie Becks Garage. You may know of it, Charlie died several years ago but my niece's husband runs it for my sis. I lived there 5-11 years of age back in the 60's, I have always liked Denton, of course it has grown so much, mainly Denton county
retired CHL Instructor

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Did your unit do the right thing and produce and provide a Certificate of training? For what ever oginized and official training program of instruction they put togeather?
http://www.army.mil/usapa/eforms/pdf/A87.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did you participate in any of the last few years of Mobil training team events for small arms that select leaders have be able to go to at local duty stations prior to deployment?
Say the Small Arms Master Gunner (SAMG) course?

Or the civilian contracted ones from Texas and farther that have been brought to Fort Hood (if that is where you where ever last stationed)? If so, you should be able to provide a training roster showing you were in the course (ATARS) and then get a POI from the course presenters.
Unless other then that, you can cite the passage from the Program of instruction at your MOS producing school that states you were trained , and or any POI from an NCOES school that states the same.

I have no idea if DPS will except any of that,, so I'm only commenting on what the Army (your units) can or could could have done to provide what your looking for.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

I thought they wanted instructor training to qualify for the shorter class. If they wanted handgun training, a TR-100 should qualify.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

boomerang wrote:I thought they wanted instructor training to qualify for the shorter class. If they wanted handgun training, a TR-100 should qualify.
It is instructor training - - - I'm taking the short course because I'm NRA certified as a Basic Pistol Instructor.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

MoJo wrote:
boomerang wrote:I thought they wanted instructor training to qualify for the shorter class. If they wanted handgun training, a TR-100 should qualify.
It is instructor training - - - I'm taking the short course because I'm NRA certified as a Basic Pistol Instructor.
Right. My point was that taking several pistol classes, even in the military, is not the same as having prior training as a firearm instructor.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

boomerang wrote:
MoJo wrote:
Right. My point was that taking several pistol classes, even in the military, is not the same as having prior training as a firearm instructor.
LOL,, it was my point as well... :mrgreen: In the Army, it is the NCO that instructs the other 1/2 million soldiers in everything they do.. Train the trainer programs via In house schools or outside contractor is how we do biz.

Your average NCO has more instructor training and actual instructing time then many of the instructors I've met doing CHL or range briefings / classes ...There are exceptions of course, NCO'S I would not trust to train someone to put on flip flops, and Many civilian instructors that take pride and professional steps in there training of others.. :hurry:

The OP may not have been an NCO, or may never have had any instructor training... so none of this above may apply... it was just a suggestion. :thumbs2:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”