Police Academy Adventures

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Re: Police Academy Adventures

Post by Excaliber »

nightmare69 wrote:Ive shot .357 before and even though its more recoil I liked it. I will try to shot the firearm first but I don't know of any gun shops that allow you to do that, doesn't hurt to ask though.
Try ranges that rent guns - many do.

And don't restrict your rental to just the .357 Sig - try the others that were mentioned here. You might even give the 1911 a try. There's a reason you see it in so many holsters around here.

It pays to do your homework before putting you money down on the counter. You can rent a lot of guns (typically for about $10 plus a box of the range's ammo) before you approach the cost of buying a gun you find you dislike and have to unload at a significant loss before you can buy another.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

Another option:

I noted you found the Glock 17 to be big for your hands. The first semi-auto I had was a Glock 17, and I thought the same thing. Then I found a Browning Hi Power (the original Hi Capacity 9mm), and what a joy to hold and carry. Fit my short little fingers perfectly, decent trigger (once the magazine disconnect was removed), and very flat and sleek, yet still a full sized service pistol. You can get reliable 13, 15, even 17 and 20 round mags for it (in 9mm).

The .40 Browning Hi Power is only a fraction of inch wider in the slide (grip is identical), feels and handles very much like it's slightly narrower brother. Best of all, you can get 9mm, 357 Sig, (and of course .40) barrels for it. The .40 magazines handle the 357 sig round (which is basically a .40 brass necked down to a 9mm bullet).

I've always wanted to go with 357 Sig, but the ammo was fairly pricey even before the big ammo rush.

The downsides of the BHP are 1) it does have a slide safety like the 1911 (it is a single-action similar to the 1911, but the internals are different). You must train to reliably operate that safety under pressure. It can be done of course, but it is an extra step and extra training. 2) Hi Powers out of the box come with a magazine disconnect, so that it won't fire if the mag is removed. I don't like this much either, and I think most BHP owners have it removed, and the action polished a bit while the gunsmith is at it.

It is a steel pistol, so heavier than the polymers, but that also absorbs recoil and the design of the pistol makes it not seem so heavy. I have tested my 9mm BHP along side my .40 BHP with both the .40 and 357 Sig barrels, and frankly I did not notice much difference in the recoil among them. Yes the .40 and .357Sig gave a little more push, but it was not much more.

I also tested the 357Sig barrel in my BHP along side the S&W Model 19 revolver in .357 Mag with nearly identical ammo (Hornady TAP hollowpoints, the .357 Mag was 125 grain and the 357 Sig was 124 grain). I chronographed them and killed some wet newspaper, and there saw no significant difference in the velocities or the expansion of the rounds, but the 357 Sig had much more pleasant recoil (and sound!).

Like Excalibur said, try out as many pistols as possible before plunking down $$. Try a Hi Power while you're at it. They are pricey pistols, but their owners love them (which is why they are pricey).
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 193

Post by nightmare69 »

Thanks will check them out.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

CoolBreeze
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CoolBreeze »

[quote="nightmare69"]Shot a 95 on the day qualify. I did really well until we went to 15yrds with 12rds and only 20secs. I took too much time in the first mag and had to shoot the last 6 off really quick. Shoot 3 off in the 7 ring. At 25yrds we had to shoot 8rds no time limit. I jerk the trigger on 2 and that plus the 3 was how I got a 95.

Awesome! Congrats! :tiphat:
The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. -Thomas Jefferson
Never Shoot a Large Caliber Man with a Small Caliber Bullet
IANAL - Please do not assume anything in my posts is legal advice

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

We are doing SFST the last couple of days. Tonight we had 15 people come up and drink measured amounts of alcohol and we performed the SFST. It was fun but it's a lot to remember and we have to know it all for the test tomorrow in front of the instructor. Using the correct terminology is what I'm having most trouble with, lots of big words.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Started the review for the state TCOLE test this week. Got drugs today and tomorrow. Other news open carry Texas started a chapter in my county.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

TomV
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TomV »

Good luck!
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith B
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Keith B »

nightmare69 wrote:Started the review for the state TCOLE test this week. Got drugs today and tomorrow. Other news open carry Texas started a chapter in my county.
They give you drugs before you take the test? Wow, sure has changed from the days I took my POST test. LOL

Good luck. I am sure you will do fine with or without drugs!! ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Keith B wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Started the review for the state TCOLE test this week. Got drugs today and tomorrow. Other news open carry Texas started a chapter in my county.
They give you drugs before you take the test? Wow, sure has changed from the days I took my POST test. LOL

Good luck. I am sure you will do fine with or without drugs!! ;-)
Lol. Health and safety code. The instructor is a DEA agent out of Tyler. It's been interesting so far.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:We are doing SFST the last couple of days. Tonight we had 15 people come up and drink measured amounts of alcohol and we performed the SFST. It was fun but it's a lot to remember and we have to know it all for the test tomorrow in front of the instructor. Using the correct terminology is what I'm having most trouble with, lots of big words.
Remembering big words after drinking measured amounts of alcohol can be a problem for some people. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

WildBill wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:We are doing SFST the last couple of days. Tonight we had 15 people come up and drink measured amounts of alcohol and we performed the SFST. It was fun but it's a lot to remember and we have to know it all for the test tomorrow in front of the instructor. Using the correct terminology is what I'm having most trouble with, lots of big words.
Remembering big words after drinking measured amounts of alcohol can be a problem for some people. ;-)
I'm glad it's over, had to say and do it perfectly to pass. Direct and sustained nystagmus at maximum deviation was 1 of the eye tests for example.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Question, let's say after I pass the state TCOLE test and go to work as a jailer will I be able to walk past a 30.06 armed legally? I know once I'm commissioned I could but what about before?
5/20-Plastic in hand.

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Post by A-R »

nightmare69 wrote:I'm glad it's over, had to say and do it perfectly to pass. Distinct and sustained nystagmus at maximum deviation was 1 of the eye tests for example.
Fixed it for ya :thumbs2:
Last edited by A-R on Fri May 02, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Auto correct for ya.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 21

Post by gigag04 »

A-R wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:I'm glad it's over, had to say and do it perfectly to pass. Distinct and sustained nystagmus at maximum deviation was 1 of the eye tests for example.
Fixed it for ya :thumbs2:
It's actually officially considered just one of the "clues" checked for in the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”