School Zones & Cell Phones

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: School Zones & Cell Phones

Post by Oldgringo »

glbedd53 wrote:The new law will require that both hands must be visible at all times while driving in a school zone.
Not everybody has two arms and/or hands. :patriot:

Commander Cody
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Commander Cody »

I see nothing wrong with the stop. The police man thought you were texting, you told him you were not texting... done deal.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

XnTx
Posts in topic: 1

Post by XnTx »

I usually have my right arm stretched behind the passenger seat, steer with my knee, and wave with my left hand.
CHL - 9/22/11
NRA Life Member - 12/12/15
XDS .45 or P380

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

If you only have one hand just duct tape a glove to the wheel

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RoyGBiv »

Commander Cody wrote:I see nothing wrong with the stop. The police man thought you were texting, you told him you were not texting... done deal.
The policeman THOUGHT.....

Not a very high bar you're setting...

A policeman can THINK whatever they want.... but they cannot act without PROOF.
It requires PROOF to exceed the burden set forth in the 4th Amendment.

It is NOT, IN ANY way OK for anyone to stop me while driving my car because they are unable to see both of my hands.
The day this becomes the law is the day America is lost forever.

OMG.! I'm becoming a Libertarian.! "rlol"
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

There are several school zones within an eight block radius of my house and it is nearly impossible to get from my house to the highway without going through at least one of them. However, there is one with sign that says, "when flashing." The lights have not flashed yet this school year. I don't know what they are up to on this one.

I do have a couple of questions, though. RGB's post brought these to mind.

1. Are we prohibited from using our phones in a school zone if we are parked? I do this if I arrive early before they are let out.
2. Are we prohibited from using our phones in the school's parking lot? I also do this while parked waiting for them to be let out.
3. If the answer to #2 is yes, then does it make a difference if it is a public or private school?
4. This law only applies to the driver and not any passengers, right?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Commander Cody wrote:I see nothing wrong with the stop. The police man thought you were texting, you told him you were not texting... done deal.
The policeman THOUGHT.....

Not a very high bar you're setting...

A policeman can THINK whatever they want.... but they cannot act without PROOF.
It requires PROOF to exceed the burden set forth in the 4th Amendment.

It is NOT, IN ANY way OK for anyone to stop me while driving my car because they are unable to see both of my hands.
The day this becomes the law is the day America is lost forever.

OMG.! I'm becoming a Libertarian.! "rlol"

:boxing
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

:boxing Does not mean anything unless you can PROVE it. The policeman does not have to prove anything to ask you a question. He may have to PROVE something to make it stand up in a court of law, but I still think it was a good stop.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

Personally I use an iPhone 4S with a bluetooth headset. I just reach up to my headset, tap the action/answer button, and tell Siri to send a message to <insert_name_here>. :coolgleamA:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

RottenApple wrote:Personally I use an iPhone 4S with a bluetooth headset. I just reach up to my headset, tap the action/answer button, and tell Siri to send a message to <insert_name_here>. :coolgleamA:
I think the hands free stuff is okay even in school zones. At least as far as talking goes. Texting is another subject, but maybe that can be hands free with the new iPhone. IDK

Personally, I don't like the hands free, bluetooth, stuff that much. When I tried it I found myself paying less attention to what I was doing then when I just held the phone up to my ear. Even when I'm walking around. However, my car has bluetooth and I can talk through the car's system. That's not too bad, but I still think I pay more attention to what's going on around me when I'm holding the phone to my ear. I don't talk on the phone very much while walking or driving and never in a school zone. I'm just saying what I've observed in my own behavior.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

C-dub wrote:Texting is another subject, but maybe that can be hands free with the new iPhone. IDK
Siri is the personal assistant that is part of the iPhone 4S. Among other things, it can read you your text messages and use speech-to-text to create messages for you.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

RottenApple wrote:
C-dub wrote:Texting is another subject, but maybe that can be hands free with the new iPhone. IDK
Siri is the personal assistant that is part of the iPhone 4S. Among other things, it can read you your text messages and use speech-to-text to create messages for you.

WOW! What'll they think of next?

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

Oldgringo wrote:WOW! What'll they think of next?
LOL. Siri is pretty neat. It can perform web searches, get information on weather (local & otherwise), provide directions from point A to point B, etc, etc. And all voice activated. The best part is that it responds using natural language instead of a specific, pre-defined series of commands.

My wife is a home care nurse and communicates extensively via text messages with her nurses, physical therapists, etc. Being able to do it all handsfree is a huge benefit to her.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Commander Cody wrote::boxing Does not mean anything unless you can PROVE it. The policeman does not have to prove anything to ask you a question. He may have to PROVE something to make it stand up in a court of law, but I still think it was a good stop.
I know... there are a myriad of "excuses" that LE can use to pull you over if they want to...
It seems like the more we tolerate it, the less freedom we'll have.

Do I want LE to stop "bad guys"? Sure.
Do I want to be stopped because I have one hand on the stick shift? No.

Am I prepared to lose a few BG's so that I don't get stopped for having my hand on the shift? Yes.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety", Ben Franklin.

Cheers Commander. :tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Ropin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ropin »

Siri sounds like a pocket wife to me. She tells you what you're supposed to do, where you're supposed to be...and the rest of the joke isn't forum-level. :biggrinjester:

Doesn't stop me from wanting a new iPhone.
Class 08/08
Packet Sent 08/10
Processing app 08/31
Complete 10/21

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”