Police Academy Adventures

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 193

Re: Police Academy Adventures

Post by nightmare69 »

healthinsp wrote:I've let my 14 y/o have a glass of wine when out to eat several times.
Perfectly legal. I wonder if this same concept applies to tobacco products? Can a parent go out and supply their minor child with a pack of cigarettes?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

nightmare69 wrote:
healthinsp wrote:I've let my 14 y/o have a glass of wine when out to eat several times.
Perfectly legal. I wonder if this same concept applies to tobacco products? Can a parent go out and supply their minor child with a pack of cigarettes?

You have to be present with your minor when they drink. You can't buy them a case and let them go on their own.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

texanjoker wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:

You have to be present with your minor when they drink. You can't buy them a case and let them go on their own.
I understand that, what I was wondering if a parent could legally buy their child a tobacco product?
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Keith B »

nightmare69 wrote:Had TABC today taught by a local TABC agent, learned some cool stuff like...It is perfectly legal for a parent to order drinks for their minor child in a restaurant and let them drink them. As far as TABC goes, parking lot is included in the premises. Funny how terms can differ when referring to different laws like child, premises, ect.
An legal age person can also order for their under age spouse.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ELB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ELB »

nightmare69 wrote: ... Interesting day, saw a video of a woman beating the poop out of her husband all caught on hidden camera. ...
A policeman once explained to me and some other CHLs that he was much in favor of CHL and in general hoped that if he were in a jam, some citizens would help him out. If I recall his story correctly, he said that when he was a still a pretty new police officer, he was sent on a DV call all by himself, found a little skinny man sitting on the curb in front of a house, I think with some bruises. The officer went to the front door and a HUGE woman opened it, then tried to shut it again. He shoved his nightstick in the door to keep it from closing; she just ripped it out of his hand into the apartment and he didn't see it again until much later. Somehow the door came open again, I forget whether he forced it or she opened it back up, but in any case he ended up in a wrasslin' match with this big fat strong gal who outweighed him...and he was not winning, which he found hard to comprehend at the time. His radio wasn't getting out so he couldn't call for help, and had visions of this not ending well at all. Finally a neighbor or two came over to see what the ruckus was about and he was able to subdue her with their help. He eventually found his nightstick: when she yanked it thru the door, it flew across the room, hit the wall, and fell behind a couch.

He said that really woke him up about reality and was ever after grateful for those citizens' help. Lotsa lessons there.
USAF 1982-2005

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JP171 »

Keith B wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Had TABC today taught by a local TABC agent, learned some cool stuff like...It is perfectly legal for a parent to order drinks for their minor child in a restaurant and let them drink them. As far as TABC goes, parking lot is included in the premises. Funny how terms can differ when referring to different laws like child, premises, ect.

The Problem with both of the above that I have seen and heard of is that sometimes LEO's and TABC Leo's ignore that the law says it is legal and Prosecutors will charge with child endangerment, providing to a minor and disorderly conduct. I have even seen(heard of in the news) charges of injury to a child and felony convictions for both of the above. of course your mileage may vary.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

If you are the type of parent that buys your minor child alcohol and let's him get hammed drunk then I agree you should be charged cause you are a idiot.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

JP171 wrote:
Keith B wrote:

The Problem with both of the above that I have seen and heard of is that sometimes LEO's and TABC Leo's ignore that the law says it is legal and Prosecutors will charge with child endangerment, providing to a minor and disorderly conduct. I have even seen(heard of in the news) charges of injury to a child and felony convictions for both of the above. of course your mileage may vary.

Coming from a child abuse background those that put whiskey in their babies bottles tend to get charged. That is different then having a cold one with your 17 year old daughter or son. :thumbs2:

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Got a huge test Monday to study for. Today during Mental Health Code a girl who is bipolar, OCD, manic depression, along with a few others came by to talk to use about dealing with people with mental illness. All I have to say is, wow. Some of these people I really feel sorry for.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 53

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:Got a huge test Monday to study for. Today during Mental Health Code a girl who is bipolar, OCD, manic depression, along with a few others came by to talk to use about dealing with people with mental illness. All I have to say is, wow. Some of these people I really feel sorry for.
Very interesting approach. I think that it's a very good idea to get the opportunity to communicate with a real person afflicted with those illnesses. Kudos to the academy for including this in the curriculum.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Made a 92 on the family violence/CIT test. It was tough with a few truck questions. Now we can relax a bit and in the next 4 weeks we start getting into the fun stuff. Really only 2 more tough tests till graduation then the TCOLE test. Next week on Wednesday we get sprayed with OC. I'll make sure to get mine on video and upload it for y'all to see.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Excaliber »

WildBill wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Got a huge test Monday to study for. Today during Mental Health Code a girl who is bipolar, OCD, manic depression, along with a few others came by to talk to use about dealing with people with mental illness. All I have to say is, wow. Some of these people I really feel sorry for.
Very interesting approach. I think that it's a very good idea to get the opportunity to communicate with a real person afflicted with those illnesses. Kudos to the academy for including this in the curriculum.
:iagree:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Keith B »

nightmare69 wrote:Made a 92 on the family violence/CIT test. It was tough with a few truck questions.
What were the truck questions? Which type of truck most wife beaters drive? Do they have big tires on them? Do they have 4x4 posts for bumpers? :biggrinjester:

Seriously, glad you are doing well in the academy. Keep up the good work!! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Keith B wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Made a 92 on the family violence/CIT test. It was tough with a few truck questions.
What were the truck questions? Which type of truck most wife beaters drive? Do they have big tires on them? Do they have 4x4 posts for bumpers? :biggrinjester:

Seriously, glad you are doing well in the academy. Keep up the good work!! :thumbs2:

Here is one question I remember.

If a person has previously been arrested TWICE for family violence what offence do you charge him with?

A. Class A misdemeanor

B. 3rd degree Felony

C. Class B misdemeanor

D. State jail felony.

The correct answer is class A misdemeanor cause you have to be convected 2 or more times before you can be charged with felony 3.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 35

Post by mojo84 »

nightmare69 wrote:
Keith B wrote:

Here is one question I remember.

If a person has previously been arrested TWICE for family violence what offence do you charge him with?

A. Class A misdemeanor

B. 3rd degree Felony

C. Class B misdemeanor

D. State jail felony.

The correct answer is class A misdemeanor cause you have to be convected 2 or more times before you can be charged with felony 3.

Now that is a "truck" question. Now watch out for the spelling and grammar police. :biggrinjester:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”