PA: BBQ gun goes bad

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 4

PA: BBQ gun goes bad

Post by seamusTX »

In Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, last week, a police officer earned a one-way ticket to the dog house.

While using his agency-issued sidearm to demonstrate firearms safety to friends at a Memorial-Day cookout, he allegedly shot his wife in the buttocks.

The woman was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

The officer was suspended from his job and charged with "simple assault with a weapon, recklessly endangering another person, false report to law enforcement and discharging a weapon in the City..."

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/U ... -AtYg.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sheesh. If shooting your wife is "simple assault" in Pennsylvania, what does it take to make it aggravated assault?

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: PA: BBQ gun goes bad

Post by chasfm11 »

Another source with the DA's office tells us that Harrisburg officer William Owens fired his city-issued gun in the air at least six or seven times, when one of the bullets hit his wife in the buttocks.
Something about the reporting on this story is not quite right.

The bottom line to the event seems to be this one.
The District Attorney says guns and alcohol are not a good mix. People who are under the influence do stupid things with guns.
AMEN

My sister and brother live In Cumberland Country, right across the river. I'm going to talk to them this weekend about more local scuttlebutt on this situation.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Moby Duck
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Moby Duck »

seamusTX wrote:Sheesh. If shooting your wife is "simple assault" in Pennsylvania, what does it take to make it aggravated assault?
If that's not a rhetorical question, I think the answer is doing it without a badge.
Yea, foolish mortals, Noah's flood is not yet subsided; two thirds of the fair world it yet covers.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Well, for once the officer was suspended without pay, and he is being prosecuted. I think his future career options will involve lawnmowers and dirty dishes.

- Jim

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

chasfm11 wrote:
Another source with the DA's office tells us that Harrisburg officer William Owens fired his city-issued gun in the air at least six or seven times, when one of the bullets hit his wife in the buttocks.

The District Attorney says guns and alcohol are not a good mix. People who are under the influence do stupid things with guns.
AMEN

My sister and brother live In Cumberland Country, right across the river. I'm going to talk to them this weekend about more local scuttlebutt on this situation.
So at first this bum said his wife went out the back door to check the pig and just gets shot. Then the bottom drops out on that tail because it's too far over the moon, so the cop takes a seat and fundamentally changes his story: He drank too many Heinie-cans or Duffs, rears and fires his gun wildly behind the house and his wife ends up with a bullet hole in her derriere. The bottom line is he should receive a stern sentence for breeching gun safety rules. :biggrinjester:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

seamusTX wrote: Sheesh. If shooting your wife is "simple assault" in Pennsylvania, what does it take to make it aggravated assault?

- Jim
Were there any pictures of the wife? :smilelol5:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

hi-power wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:

AMEN

So at first this bum said his wife went out the back door to check the pig and just gets shot. Then the bottom drops out on that tail because it's too far over the moon, so the cop takes a seat and fundamentally changes his story: He drank too many Heinie-cans or Duffs, rears and fires his gun wildly behind the house and his wife ends up with a bullet hole in her derriere. The bottom line is he should receive a stern sentence for breeching gun safety rules. :biggrinjester:
Now, there's just no call for that kind of nonsense! Bad enough this poor guy is going to be the butt of everyone's jokes for the rest of his life....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

thats going to be a real pain in the butt
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

I suspect he gonna wish he shot HIMSELF in the butt. It'd be less painful. This wound will last the rest of their lives. :evil2:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

hmmm, first it happened around 6:00 AM, then it happened around 6:00 PM, Then it happened around 6:00 AM again.

6:00 AM seems a little early to be drunk at a Saturday cook-out (unless it started Friday Evening!)
Never Forget. Image

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Well, no-one answered a pretty fundamental question: Did the wife need shootin' or not? :mrgreen:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

sjfcontrol wrote:hmmm, first it happened around 6:00 AM, then it happened around 6:00 PM, Then it happened around 6:00 AM again.

6:00 AM seems a little early to be drunk at a Saturday cook-out (unless it started Friday Evening!)
SJ its always beer thirty someplace :woohoo ok so if this guy is gonna be the butt of jokes till the end of time.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

The a.m./p.m. thing is pretty confusing. Six in the morning is not too early for some people, and just the end of a fun evening for others.

- Jim

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

sjfcontrol wrote:I suspect he gonna wish he shot HIMSELF in the butt. It'd be less painful. This wound will last the rest of their lives. :evil2:
At least the rest of their married lives. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

WildBill wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:I suspect he gonna wish he shot HIMSELF in the butt. It'd be less painful. This wound will last the rest of their lives. :evil2:
At least the rest of their married lives. :lol:
Which, I guess might actually be pretty short!
Never Forget. Image

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”