encounter w/Lampasas LEO

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
razrbak
Posts in topic: 5

encounter w/Lampasas LEO

Post by razrbak »

Around 10:30pm I arrive in Lampasas for a business call that next morning. As I procede down the main drag I notice a LEO pull a quick u-turn and pull in tight behind me, so close that I am not even able to see his headlights. Then I notice him turn his headlights off for a couple of seconds, then back on with the blue lights. So I pull off into an Autozone lot, dome light on, window down, hands 10 & 2. He approches and introduces himself and I annouce that I am a CHL holder and that I have a firearm in the vehicle. He says "No problem, as long as I don't see it. I pulled you over because one of your licence plate lights is out". After a quick chuckle and a "you're kidding me", I collect my DL, CHL and insurance proof. He's back in 3 minutes with my ppwk, not even a warning and says "thank you notifying me of your firearm and pulling off the road, you would not believe the number of people who will just stop in the middle of the road, I really appreciate that. Have a nice evening."
That's all,
Eric
Last edited by razrbak on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1/23/10 CHL Class & Shoot
1/25/10 ppwk & $ sent in
2/11/10 PIN# recieved
2/18/10 application approved/liscence issued
2/22/10 plastic in hand
Ruger SP101 357mag
Taurus 709 Slim 9mm

McKnife
Posts in topic: 1

Re: encounter w/Lampasas LEO

Post by McKnife »

He was a' fishin'.

You played it cool :coolgleamA: , but personally, I don't announce that I am carrying until the officer asks for ID. Just saying. YMMV.
:coolgleamA:

Topic author
razrbak

Post by razrbak »

McKnife wrote:He was a' fishin'.

You played it cool :coolgleamA: , but personally, I don't announce that I am carrying until the officer asks for ID. Just saying. YMMV.
Yeah, probably wise. I was honestly a bit rattled and punchy, had been driving for a couple of hours and did not much appreciate someone dart in behind me to the point I cannot see their headlights.
1/25/10 ppwk & $ sent in
2/11/10 PIN# recieved
2/22/10 plastic in hand
Ruger SP101 357mag
Taurus 709 Slim 9mm

Springbike

Post by Springbike »

I was pulled over near Dallas this past weekend by a State Trooper. Great guy. He comes to the passenger window, i pass my DL and CHL. He asks me if i have a weapon and I say "I do" and he says great. Doesn't ask where. Hands back the CHL takes my license... Gives me a warning for no front tag.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 6

Post by E.Marquez »

OK, Weird point 1:
My Name is Erik
Weird point 2:
I was pulled over in Lampasas for a license plate light out http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 78#p396916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Common point 1: I was allowed to go on my way with no ticket or warning
Common point 2: The LEO was friendly, appreciative of my method of pulling over, motor off, windows down, light on, notification of CHL with DL..
razrbak wrote:Around 10:30pm I arrive in Lampasas for a business call that next morning. As I procede down the main drag I notice a LEO pull a quick u-turn and pull in tight behind me, so close that I am not even able to see his headlights. Then I notice him turn his headlights off for a couple of seconds, then back on with the blue lights. So I pull off into an Autozone lot, dome light on, window down, hands 10 & 2. He approches and introduces himself and I annouce that I am a CHL holder and that I have a firearm in the vehicle. He says "No problem, as long as I don't see it. I pulled you over because one of your licence plate lights is out". After a quick chuckle and a "you're kidding me", I collect my DL, CHL and insurance proof. He's back in 3 minutes with my ppwk, not even a warning and says "thank you notifying me of your firearm and pulling off the road, you would not believe the number of people who will just stop in the middle of the road, I really appreciate that. Have a nice evening."
That's all,
Eric
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

razrbak wrote: After a quick chuckle and a "you're kidding me"
:headscratch
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

lws380

Post by lws380 »

So was the light out or not? Next time stomp on your brakes! "rlol"

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

lws380 wrote:So was the light out or not? Next time stomp on your brakes! "rlol"
I know that was said in jest ... but we don't want anyone getting hurt over a traffic stop. ;-)

I know...the public generally dislikes being pulled over for what we think is a "trivial" violation like a burned out bulb (or bad ground), but it IS a legitimate stop.

Depending upon who you get.....it can result in anything from a "fishing expedition" to just a friendly notification that your light is out.

I have NEVER been cited for a burned out bulb in 40+ years of driving, I've always just been made aware of it and the officer was always courteous and professional. I mean...lets face it, a bulb is almost NEVER going to burn out in your driveway, so at sometime...we're all going to be driving around in violation.

Most cops are pretty cool with that.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

Here is an interesting question. The LEO did a quick u-turn. How was he able to spot a license plate light out going the other way in order to know to execute that turn. Just askin'.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Because what was said was..."As I procede down the main drag I notice a LEO pull a quick u-turn and pull in tight behind me"

Car passes by, light observed out and the officer did a "quick u-turn and pull in tight behind me""

LEO's sit on the main road, off the side and observe traffic near a MPH change section of the road. They orient the vehicle one direction of the other(unless it's the MC cop) and run Radar .. but you can watch them swivel their head and watch vehicles as they pass by.

Your confusion is understandable :thumbs2: I just happen to pass though Lampasas many times a week. My son goes to school there, and the town stores are an equal distance from my house in the next town over as the shops in the town on the other side of me.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

I assumed that the LEO was driving and coming from the opposite direction (hence the u-turn), not that he was parked. Passing in opposite directions, even at a slow speed, it takes a quick and well timed twist of the neck to see the rear license on the other car. My expectation was that he had to be looking specifically for it.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Topic author
razrbak

Post by razrbak »

gigag04 wrote:
My "chuckle" was more of a relief exhale w/a laugh thrown in w/some indignation. Again, it was fairly late at night (did not recognize my vehicle?), I had been driving for a couple of hours from Ft Worth. I cannot answer as to why the officer decided to abrutly conduct a u-turn and quickly come in behind me , but it kinda freaked me out. I was aware of my speed, I was not speeding or driving erratically, I drive for a living (outside sales/consulting), 41y.o. with a VERY clean driving record. I found it somewhat off-putting that someone who is to "protect and serve" would 1.) Pull a quick u-turn on a town main street (4 lanes plus turning lane)-possibly endagering others and himself, then 2.) tailgate with feet of a person to verify if there was enough light on their licsence plate- endagering me and himself. Yes, the light was out. Yes, I do apperciate being notified of it. And yes, the officer was extremely polite and respectful.
1/25/10 ppwk & $ sent in
2/11/10 PIN# recieved
2/22/10 plastic in hand
Ruger SP101 357mag
Taurus 709 Slim 9mm

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

razrbak wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
My "chuckle" was more of a relief exhale w/a laugh thrown in w/some indignation. Again, it was fairly late at night (did not recognize my vehicle?), I had been driving for a couple of hours from Ft Worth. I cannot answer as to why the officer decided to abrutly conduct a u-turn and quickly come in behind me , but it kinda freaked me out. I was aware of my speed, I was not speeding or driving erratically, I drive for a living (outside sales/consulting), 41y.o. with a VERY clean driving record. I found it somewhat off-putting that someone who is to "protect and serve" would 1.) Pull a quick u-turn on a town main street (4 lanes plus turning lane)-possibly endagering others and himself, then 2.) tailgate with feet of a person to verify if there was enough light on their licsence plate- endagering me and himself. Yes, the light was out. Yes, I do apperciate being notified of it. And yes, the officer was extremely polite and respectful.
So he was moving,, in the other direction when you passed by? If so, then .. sounds like you were just a vehicle to be looked at and see what happened when he pulled behind you..... the answer seems to be,,, nothing happened... but a violation was then observed (light out).
As for his actions behind your vehicle..... Only you and him know if it went as your remember it...There is always two sides to a story, usually, neither are as factual as they are remembered.

Who has the less distorted version? We don't, we were not there. :thumbs2: You were, glad it worked out for you,, no citation and no one was hurt in the contact.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

flintknapper wrote:I have NEVER been cited for a burned out bulb in 40+ years of driving, I've always just been made aware of it and the officer was always courteous and professional. I mean...lets face it, a bulb is almost NEVER going to burn out in your driveway, so at sometime...we're all going to be driving around in violation.

Most cops are pretty cool with that.
That reminds me of back in my ER days... I worked the PM shift from 3:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. I was on my way home one night and when I started my car, I realized that one of the headlights was burned out... but it was only out on "low beam." When I had the high beam on, both lights were lit. Since it was a few minutes shy of midnight and there were almost no cars on the streets, I just drove home with my high beams on, figuring I would deal with it in the morning.

So I'm going up a main thoroughfare that crests a slight hill, and a ways before I get to the crest, another vehicle going the other way pops over the crest coming toward me. To be polite, I flick off my high beams, and wouldn't you know that the other car is a cop. He whips a U-turn and pulls me over. I got a ticket for having a headlight out—never mind that I work in the same ER he brings people into regularly, he even vaguely knows me, he knows that I'm on my way home having just gotten of my shift, and I've just told him that I just discovered the problem minutes before and won't be able to correct it until tomorrow morning.

Yes, it was a legitimate stop.

Yes, there was a safety equipment issue that needed to be addressed.

No, he did not handle it with common sense. I still had to pay a fine and get it fixed. I would have gotten it fixed first thing the next day anyway, and the fine wasn't that much money, but it's the principle of the thing. The guy was a jerk. God willing and the crick don't rise, maybe some brother officer will return him the favor some day right after he comes off his night shift.

That said, I'm all about safety on the road, and if I have a light out and I'm unawares of it, I would want a cop to let me know of it if he spots it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
razrbak

Post by razrbak »

Very true Erik... and thank you for your service.
Eric
1/25/10 ppwk & $ sent in
2/11/10 PIN# recieved
2/22/10 plastic in hand
Ruger SP101 357mag
Taurus 709 Slim 9mm

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”