Plano officer shoots suspect trying to activate light

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
MojoTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Plano officer shoots suspect trying to activate light

Post by MojoTexas »

"A Plano narcotics sergeant intended to activate a flashlight affixed to his service weapon when he accidentally pulled the trigger, fatally shooting a drug suspect in a Far North Dallas parking lot last month, the officer told investigators in this statement. "

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/archive ... nt-to.html
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

Oldgringo

Re: Plano officer shoots suspect trying to activate light

Post by Oldgringo »

What can you say after you've said, "oops, sorry".

CainA
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CainA »

Kinda reminds me of the scene in Pulp Fiction...oops!

-Cain

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Excaliber »

MojoTexas wrote:"A Plano narcotics sergeant intended to activate a flashlight affixed to his service weapon when he accidentally pulled the trigger, fatally shooting a drug suspect in a Far North Dallas parking lot last month, the officer told investigators in this statement. "

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/archive ... nt-to.html
The most obvious potential cause here would be having the trigger finger inside the trigger guard when grappling with a suspect. If the support hand executed a strong gripping motion, the "wiring" of the human nervous system makes it a virtual certainty that a similar involuntary hand contraction would occur on the strong hand side, as has been repeatedly documented in many incidents over the years. The strength of this contraction would be more than enough to activate the trigger (around 50 lbs. of force in an adult male).

The second possibility is that this negligent discharge appears similar in some respects to the one in California several months ago where a BART transit officer discharged his handgun into the back of a prone handcuffed suspect. In that case, the officer stated he intended to draw and discharge his taser, but inadvertently drew and fired his gun instead. He was convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

Mistaking a gun for a taser may sound implausible to those who have not had to execute multiple critical tasks during a struggle with a suspect. Having been there a time or two, it doesn't stretch my credulity at all.

In the BART case, the officer had received far more training in firing his handgun than his taser, and the taser holstering system setup on his duty rig was arranged so that both the taser and the handgun would be manipulated by the same hand. The hand functions for drawing and firing both were the same. Under the stress of a struggle, while his mental decision was to draw and fire the taser, the hand assigned to that task performed the more dominant function instilled by training - drawing and firing the handgun.

I suspect a similar sequence of events may have happened in the Plano case, if the officer's statements about his intent are true. In the article, the officer stated that he had no intention of firing his handgun, and no intent to place his finger inside the trigger guard. However, his department had recently issued him a Surefire X300 weapon light with an activation mechanism that he described as located under the trigger guard instead of on the grip, as his previous weapon light switch had been. The only configuration I can find in the Surefire X300 accessory that would match this description is the single frontstrap mounted switch option.. (The full range of accessory options can be seen here.)

Here we have a newly issued piece of equipment that requires a different mode of operation from similar gear the officer was much more familiar with, and a light activation switch that is turned on with rearward pressure applied just under the trigger guard. This switch is designed to be activated by the middle finger on the frontstrap. However, under the stress of a struggle, I can easily see how a decision to execute this brand new and not repeatedly practiced maneuver could result in an officer executing the mechanically similar and very heavily practiced maneuver of pulling the trigger with the trigger finger. This would be especially easy if both factors were in play - a trigger finger already in the trigger guard and a hand squeeze to activate the light that causes a contraction of the trigger finger as well.

I am not privy to details of the Plano investigation, and I cannot make valid judgments on what did or did not happen during the tragic event sequence during an arrest. However, I think there is value in exploring the potential mechanisms and contributing factors that may have come into play here because, whether they did or did not contribute to the tragedy in this most recent case, they most certainly can and have done so in other incidents in the past. Awareness of these possibilities may help some of our members make good equipment selection, training, and planned procedure choices and avoid a similar tragedy in the future.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

One thing to note, they never did mention if the guy was carrying heroin or not.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Wow, that seems like a spectacularly bad design.
NRA lifetime member

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

I like how the DMN article is titled "Gun-mounted flashlight blamed in fatal Plano police shooting", because clearly the flashlight pulled the trigger.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

This is sad for all involved.

All the training I have recieved says that a gun light is a supplement for a handheld light. When I clear a bldg, or need to illuminate someone, I use my small streamlight, even of my weapon is drawn. Also only use my non trigger hand to activate the light (TLR-1s).

We had an email sent out about it from the train/rec dept re-emphasizing
this.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

gigag04 wrote:This is sad for all involved.

All the training I have recieved says that a gun light is a supplement for a handheld light. When I clear a bldg, or need to illuminate someone, I use my small streamlight, even of my weapon is drawn. Also only use my non trigger hand to activate the light (TLR-1s).

this.
I've never been tempted to buy a weapon-mounted light. I keep a Mag-Light in my pickup, and small LED tactical flashlight by the bed. If I want to illuminate something, I will use a flashlight. If I want to stop a threat, I'll use a firearm. If I need to use both at the same time...that's why God gave me two hands. I don't like the idea of using a weapon-mounted flashlight because the only thing you SHOULD be illuminating is a target you intend to destroy. Illuminating anything else with a weapon-mounted flashlight is "sweeping" in my book and leads to tragedies like this.

Just my opinion of course.

MojoTexas :txflag:

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sjfcontrol »

KC5AV wrote:
No kidding! About the only way it could be worse is if it was attached to the front of the trigger itself! A little pressure gets light, more pressure gets a BANG! :shock:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

MojoTexas wrote:One thing to note, they never did mention if the guy was carrying heroin or not.
Even if he was, it wouldn't have constituted justification for the shoot.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

KC5AV wrote:
In and of itself, I don't agree. The same switch location is used on the best Crimson Trace laser grips and other similar devices with no documented issues that I am aware of. These devices are intended to be activated by a firm grip on the handgun which does not include movement of the trigger finger.

I suspect that some combination of violations of Rules 1 and 3 and the symmetrical hand clench phenomenon are bigger factors here.
Excaliber

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sjfcontrol »

Excaliber wrote:
KC5AV wrote:
In and of itself, I don't agree. The same switch location is used on the best Crimson Trace laser grips and other similar devices with no documented issues that I am aware of. These devices are intended to be activated by a firm grip on the handgun which does not include movement of the trigger finger.

I suspect that some combination of violations of Rules 1 and 3 and the symmetrical hand clench phenomenon are bigger factors here.
It appeared to me it was designed such that you squeeze with the trigger finger to fire, or the middle finger to turn on the light.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

gigag04 wrote:This is sad for all involved.

this.
This is a far more sound practice.

When the light is mounted on the gun, there is a very strong temptation to use the gun as an illumination tool even when pointing a gun is not warranted. Sooner or later this results in the gun being pointed at things and people when there is no good reason to do so, thus inviting tragedy.

There are some situations where a light mounted gun make sense (e.g. high risk situation special response entry team), but using such a tool requires real discipline to properly manage its use under the less than ideal field conditions officers face every day.
Excaliber

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
KC5AV wrote:

It appeared to me it was designed such that you squeeze with the trigger finger to fire, or the middle finger to turn on the light.
That's exactly correct.

However, if one's finger is on the trigger or alongside the trigger guard instead of the frame to begin with, deliberately clenching the hand to turn on the light under the stress of an arrest struggle may cause involuntary movement of the trigger finger as well.
Excaliber

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”