HB1911 Com Substitute

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 6

Re: HB1911 Com Substitute

Post by ninjabread »

bblhd672 wrote:Statists all..interested only in maintaining power over the peons who pay their salaries, recognizing that power is threatened by an armed citizenry.
The first time I read it, I thought you said sadists and that made sense too.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Ruark »

I personally don't think 1911 will pass. It's just too messy in more ways than I care to describe here.
doncb wrote: I've said it before, politicians are only interested in themselves and don't give a you know what about the people they represent. Lot of good it does to have a majority.
That's pretty much it. It's all about ego, campaign contributions, getting invited to the correct barbecues, and re-election.

Another thing about this whole fiasco is that it shows the relative powerlessness of the governor's office. Here we have perhaps the most pro-gun governor in Texas history, yet he has no influence whatsover on this whole process, except to sign a bill when the lege is done with it.
-Ruark

ralewis
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ralewis »

Ruark wrote:I personally don't think 1911 will pass. It's just too messy in more ways than I care to describe here.
doncb wrote: I've said it before, politicians are only interested in themselves and don't give a you know what about the people they represent. Lot of good it does to have a majority.
That's pretty much it. It's all about ego, campaign contributions, getting invited to the correct barbecues, and re-election.

Another thing about this whole fiasco is that it shows the relative powerlessness of the governor's office. Here we have perhaps the most pro-gun governor in Texas history, yet he has no influence whatsover on this whole process, except to sign a bill when the lege is done with it.
:iagree:

I'll add that it would't break my heart if this did not pass. I fear several unintended consequences with HB1911 passing.

Seems to me there is philosophical principle in play here that is anti-license. To me, (especially with the requirement that you need to meet the same qualifications for a LTC) it seems SB16 that drastically reduces the fees accomplishes almost the same thing as HB1911. You are basically paying $40 to carry some more places.

What seems to me to be the issue here is the philosophical view that the 2nd Amendment should not require a license. Practically speaking, the 2A says what the courts say it says, and the best we have now is the Licensing system which (again to me) seems a reasonable compromise that contributes to putting the public more at ease with the idea of carrying in public.
Last edited by ralewis on Fri May 05, 2017 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

ninjabread wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:Statists all..interested only in maintaining power over the peons who pay their salaries, recognizing that power is threatened by an armed citizenry.
The first time I read it, I thought you said sadists and that made sense too.
:iagree: (maybe even more so than the original....) :biggrinjester:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Ruark wrote: Another thing about this whole fiasco is that it shows the relative powerlessness of the governor's office. Here we have perhaps the most pro-gun governor in Texas history, yet he has no influence whatsover on this whole process, except to sign a bill when the lege is done with it.
Which is as it should be but it still sucks...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Flightmare »

Deplorable lunatic since 2016

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

That's a good article.. Someone should make it a sticky in the legislative forum...
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

That is pretty depressing reading material. :mad5 :banghead: :grumble :boxing
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Lynyrd wrote:
That is pretty depressing reading material. :mad5 :banghead: :grumble :boxing
I agree. I think this is what happened to HB 560. I suspect a great many good bills have suffered a similar fate. Unfortunately, there's nothing that the good reps/senators can do about this. If the powers that be want to slow roll a bill to death, they have that authority. The rules would need to change if we want to see progress.

tx85
Posts in topic: 14

Post by tx85 »

Article: Texans could carry a handgun without a license under a House bill that's stuck in the chamber
But with a web of procedural deadlines fast approaching, it's unclear if the Legislature is prepared to pull the trigger and bring the measure to the floor.

"If you really feel passionate about something, you keep talking to your colleagues and keep making changes. That's what we're doing," said bill author Rep. James White, R-Hillister. "I'm always confident, but confidence doesn't amount much to probability."

House rules create a number of avenues for those in leadership to kill bills without ever putting them to a vote. Mark Jones, a political science professor at Rice University, said it looks like White's unlicensed carry bill could run the risk of getting lost in the calendar shuffle. Thursday is the last day the House can give preliminary approval to bills that originated in the lower chamber.

"This is the time of the year where Todd Hunter does that voodoo he does so well," Jones said, referring to the chairman of the powerful Calendars Committee that sets the House schedule. "Since there doesn't seem to be a real groundswell of either public support or even party support to push it through, that Representative Hunter may just never schedule it to be considered on the floor. In which case, when the clock strikes midnight on May 11th, it will be dead."

Ruark
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Ruark »

What we should do is allow them X number of days for the session, but require them to stay until they have voted on ALL of the bills, no matter how long it takes. That would get some stuff done. All this racing against the clock is just plain stupid.
-Ruark

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Ruark wrote:What we should do is allow them X number of days for the session, but require them to stay until they have voted on ALL of the bills, no matter how long it takes. That would get some stuff done. All this racing against the clock is just plain stupid.
That is the antithesis of limited government. Frankly, I like the fact that only about 15-25% of the proposed bills get passed in any given session. It means that change in the state of Texas comes slowly and we don't have major knee-jerk reactions without getting the vast majority of the legislators onboard.

Yes it means good change comes slowly too, but it also means that bad changes can be more easily headed off.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Papa_Tiger wrote:
Ruark wrote:What we should do is allow them X number of days for the session, but require them to stay until they have voted on ALL of the bills, no matter how long it takes. That would get some stuff done. All this racing against the clock is just plain stupid.
That is the antithesis of limited government. Frankly, I like the fact that only about 15-25% of the proposed bills get passed in any given session. It means that change in the state of Texas comes slowly and we don't have major knee-jerk reactions without getting the vast majority of the legislators onboard.

Yes it means good change comes slowly too, but it also means that bad changes can be more easily headed off.
:iagree: Bingo! This is why I like that Texas only meets every other year for 150 days, instead of round the year legislation.

tx85
Posts in topic: 14

Post by tx85 »

Ruark wrote:Another thing about this whole fiasco is that it shows the relative powerlessness of the governor's office. Here we have perhaps the most pro-gun governor in Texas history, yet he has no influence whatsover on this whole process, except to sign a bill when the lege is done with it.
It's simply not true that Abbott has no power to influence the process. The Governor can veto bills, which gives him indirect power to influence the process (i.e. he can behind the scenes threaten to veto some legislator's pet bill if they don't support his priority bills).

On banning sanctuary cities, Abbott was very vocal that he wanted the legislature to send him a bill. And lo and behold, the legislature has already sent him the bill he wanted, even though it is much more controversial than permitless carry (maybe not among the GOP, but definitely in the media and among the Democrats that help elect Straus).

As far as I know, Abbott has not said a word about permitless carry this session. Is it a surprise that unlike with SB4, Straus will feel comfortable blocking HB1911?

It's also worth noting there was no companion bill in the Senate. Why? Possibly because there isn't enough support for permitless carry in the Senate, and rather than admitting that by taking a vote, they're more than happy to let Straus take the blame.

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RossA »

ralewis wrote:
What seems to me to be the issue here is the philosophical view that the 2nd Amendment should not require a license. Practically speaking, the 2A says what the courts say it says, and the best we have now is the Licensing system which (again to me) seems a reasonable compromise that contributes to putting the public more at ease with the idea of carrying in public.

That's the biggest problem of all. Instead of just following the Constitution and not infringing upon the right to keep and bear arms, we have allowed the left to force us into "reasonable compromise" of our Constitutional rights all along.
Maybe some are willing to compromise their rights, but I am not.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”