SB11 & HB910 This week....

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

CrimsonSoul
Posts in topic: 18

Re: SB11 & HB910 This week....

Post by CrimsonSoul »

What the heck are up with these guys on sb1908, this isn't a discussion on the bill... this... wow
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

chamberc
Posts in topic: 8

Post by chamberc »

Low Budget Shooter wrote:So, under the new open carry law, Acevedo and his ilk think it would be "doing their job" to stop people who are peacefully open carrying and ask for their papers. Maybe the Dutton/Huffines amendment is more important that we thought! That doesn't mean the amendment is making the bill more likely or easier to pass, but it does shed some more light on its importance.
No, the law already says they can't do what the amendment says they can't do.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 35

Post by RoyGBiv »

Is this ribbing standard practice?
I find it insulting, but, maybe I'm missing the hazing aspect of it.

Seems beneath the role of a legislator.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

v7a wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Do you want to make a point, or pass open-carry? This is not the time for philosophical discussions. An attempt to get House concurrence will be made, but if that fails, then HB910 may not pass. Yes, it can go to conference, and yes, a conference report may come out, but there's absolutely no guarantee that both bodies will accept the report.
Now I'm a bit confused. Are you saying there's something else than can be done before/instead of a concurrence vote that will result in a higher chance of HB910 passing?
It is widely known that elected officials read the Forum and presumably some also read OCT's Facebook website. Attacks on law enforcement never sells in Texas, never. Seeing distrust of LEOs on those websites tends to galvanize elected officials into either supporting or opposing the Huffines amendment, and precious few will support it now that law enforcement has come out against it. Both the House and Senate can instruct conferees on what to demand or not accept. If the Senate demands the Huffines amendment stay in the Bill and the House is contra, then no agreement will be reached and there will be no conference report. If there is a report with or without the Huffines amendment, then one of the bodies may well kill HB910.

Then, there's always the possibility of a veto. Yes, Gov. Abbott said he'd sign an open-carry bill that lands on his desk, but no one foresaw the Dutton (now Huffines) amendment. I'm not saying he would veto it, but Huffines gave him a good reason to do so.

Chas.

CrimsonSoul
Posts in topic: 18

Post by CrimsonSoul »

Man, these guys are flying through bills.
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Low Budget Shooter wrote:So, under the new open carry law, Acevedo and his ilk think it would be "doing their job" to stop people who are peacefully open carrying and ask for their papers. Maybe the Dutton/Huffines amendment is more important that we thought! That doesn't mean the amendment is making the bill more likely or easier to pass, but it does shed some more light on its importance.
The Amendment makes HB910 much less likely to pass. It still may, but it affords the opportunity for Senators West and Ellis to kill it in the Senate, if the House does anything other than concur.

The Huffines amendment provides no protection to Texans. As Sen. Huffines himself argued on the floor of the Senate, it takes little more than carrying a gun to meet the requirements of his amendment and the reasonable suspicion requirement.

I must admit that I'm growing a bit weary of all of the discussion about Chief Acevedo. There's more than one city and town in Texas.

Chas.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 48

Post by NotRPB »

(My copy/pasting tweets does not *Necessarily* constitute endorsements or non-endorsements, they are FYI)
(and since I'm not the author, I can't vouch for authenticity of hearsay ones)

@KarinaKling 7m7 minutes ago

Rep. Phillips says he wants to keep #opencarry the way the senate passed it...putting him at odds with law enforcement #txlege
Last edited by NotRPB on Wed May 27, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 78

Post by v7a »

Never mind that anyone who supports Open Carry itself is at odds with law enforcement.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 52

Post by mr1337 »

v7a wrote:Never mind that anyone who supports Open Carry itself is at odds with law enforcement.
Texas Sheriff Association would probably beg to differ.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OldCannon »

NotRPB wrote:
v7a wrote:@MorganSmith tweet
@ArtAcevedo says he "really believes" @GovAbbott will veto #opencarry if amendment sticks prevent police from asking for licenses #txlege
‏@MarkW_KVUE 7m7 minutes ago

.@ArtAcevedo says if amendment can't be dropped, "The only responsible thing would be for the governor to veto" #opencarry #HB910 #txlege

]]]]]]]]]]]

@MarkW_KVUE · 19m 19 minutes ago

Sheriff's Assn president says if Texans want open carry, that's great, but drop "Huffines Amendment" and let law enforcement do their jobs

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

@JimVertuno 5m5 minutes ago

Texas law enforcement groups call for @GregAbbott_TX veto if they can't strip out limits on police powers in #opencarry #txlege

=================
@chucklindell · 5m 5 minutes ago

Police leaders in Capitol to urge no-police-stop language be stripped from open carry bill in conference. #txlege

@chucklindell · 2m 2 minutes ago

Author of open carry had planned to have House concur, tho, sending it to Gov. #txlege

@chucklindell · 2m 2 minutes ago

If no police stop stays in open carry, Austin Chief Acevedo urges Abbott to veto. #txlege
If Acevedo is against it, then it's definitely good for Texas. :tiphat: :lol:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 48

Post by NotRPB »

‏@cjones_cleat 7m7 minutes ago Austin, TX

Chris Jones retweeted Mark Wiggins

@CLEAT #TXchiefs #sheriffs calling for Conf Comm on #HB910. @84thLegislature #txlege
------------------------------------------------------
Mark Wiggins Verified account
‏@MarkW_KVUE

#opencarry #HB910 author Rep Phillips says will recommend House concur w/ Senate amendments (basically same). Vote expected today #txlege
Last edited by NotRPB on Wed May 27, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
safety1
Posts in topic: 114

Post by safety1 »

Chief Acevedo will be laughing himself to death if we send this back to the senate, it will die, and he will succeed
at getting want he's wanted all along, No OC in Texas.
It's time for the conservatives in the house to show the fortitude necessary and vote to concur!
He does not speak solely for all LEOs, but the liberal media is giving him plenty of mic time.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Topic author
safety1
Posts in topic: 114

Post by safety1 »

NotRPB wrote: ‏@cjones_cleat 7m7 minutes ago Austin, TX

@CLEAT #TXchiefs #sheriffs calling for Conf Comm on #HB910. @84thLegislature #txlege
‏@MarkW_KVUE

#opencarry #HB910 author Rep Phillips says will recommend House concur w/ Senate amendments (basically same). Vote expected today #txlege
I stand with Rep. Phillips!!!!!!!!!!
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

mr1337
Posts in topic: 52

Post by mr1337 »

safety1 wrote:
NotRPB wrote: ‏@cjones_cleat 7m7 minutes ago Austin, TX

‏@MarkW_KVUE

I stand with Rep. Phillips!!!!!!!!!!
Let's hope if the amendment stays that Gov. Abbott does the right thing.

All of this could have been avoided if the 5th Circuit just accepted the US v Black decision.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 78

Post by v7a »

mr1337 wrote:Let's hope if the amendment stays that Gov. Abbott does the right thing.
Even if he's against the amendment hopefully he'll still sign the bill and then next session he can tell the legislature that he wants a bill to remove that provision.
Last edited by v7a on Wed May 27, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”