SB11 & HB910 This week....

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 63

Re: SB11 & HB910 This week....

Post by mojo84 »

Cop organizaations out in full force against the amendment.

https://twitter.com/TMPALegislative" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://twitter.com/TMPALegislative/with_replies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
safety1
Posts in topic: 114

Post by safety1 »

I believe the Gov. said he'd pass any bill for OC that hit his desk.
Not buying this bull.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by steveincowtown »

The fact that so many LEO Organizations seem to be coming out against the amendment, tells me that we need the amendment.

The amendment is just restating what the 4th amendment guarantees and what case law stands behind. If someone is engaged in an activity which is lawful, an LEO may not engage in a non consensual stop to question them about that activity.

It concerns me gravely that ANY LEO would protest this amendment. If we amended the HB910 to say "LEOs may not randomly mace people" or "No use of Taser on people that are not a threat" would we get them same blow back?

If an LEO is a student of the law, and wishes to uphold their oath to protect the Constitution, this amendment should not bother them in the least.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

canvasbck wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I've been trying to stay out of this topic of discussion, other than explaining why the Huffines amendment is a major problem. That said, I feel compelled to point out something. Do you want to make a point, or pass open-carry? This is not the time for philosophical discussions. An attempt to get House concurrence will be made, but if that fails, then HB910 may not pass. Yes, it can go to conference, and yes, a conference report may come out, but there's absolutely no guarantee that both bodies will accept the report.

Chas.
Is there reason to suspect that the house won't concur, or is it your risk averse side speaking?
Absolutely!

Chas.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 48

Post by NotRPB »

v7a wrote:@MorganSmith tweet
@ArtAcevedo says he "really believes" @GovAbbott will veto #opencarry if amendment sticks prevent police from asking for licenses #txlege
‏@MarkW_KVUE 7m7 minutes ago

.@ArtAcevedo says if amendment can't be dropped, "The only responsible thing would be for the governor to veto" #opencarry #HB910 #txlege

]]]]]]]]]]]

@MarkW_KVUE · 19m 19 minutes ago

Sheriff's Assn president says if Texans want open carry, that's great, but drop "Huffines Amendment" and let law enforcement do their jobs

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

@JimVertuno 5m5 minutes ago

Texas law enforcement groups call for @GregAbbott_TX veto if they can't strip out limits on police powers in #opencarry #txlege

=================
@chucklindell · 5m 5 minutes ago

Police leaders in Capitol to urge no-police-stop language be stripped from open carry bill in conference. #txlege

@chucklindell · 2m 2 minutes ago

Author of open carry had planned to have House concur, tho, sending it to Gov. #txlege

@chucklindell · 2m 2 minutes ago

If no police stop stays in open carry, Austin Chief Acevedo urges Abbott to veto. #txlege
Last edited by NotRPB on Wed May 27, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

arthurcw
Posts in topic: 13

Post by arthurcw »

Is that kinda like the only responsible thing to do is report anyone you disagree with who has a gun so he can "check them out"? I mean, it does, "...keep him up at night."

CrimsonSoul
Posts in topic: 18

Post by CrimsonSoul »

Well I just called my rep (Bonnen) and voiced my support for the concurrence vote on hb910
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

mr1337
Posts in topic: 52

Post by mr1337 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Has Sen. Huffman made any public statements about her reasoning or justification for her amendment increasing the charge of not having the chl with you to a felony? Was her intent to make it a felony if someone just forgot their valid CHL at home or was she targeting those that may try to open carry without having applied and received a CHL?

I think there is an important distinction there.
I do not have any inside information, but I believe she offered an amendment to the Huffines amendment trying to get him to pull it down, or to defeat it if it came to a vote. When the point-of-order was raised, I believe that even with the Senate's liberal approach to the germane issue it was not germane because it set a penalty for non-CHL's and the bill applied only to what a CHL could and could not do. That's why I believe she pulled down her amendment to the amendment.

I have no answer why she offered a state jail felony for carrying openly without a CHL. She has been on our side and made sure our gun bills received a hearing and a vote in her committee. In fact, our bills were sent to her committee so they wouldn't die in Whitmire's committee where they traditionally go.

Chas.
She probably introduced it in response to certain groups and people claiming that the amendment is creating a de-facto unlicensed open carry.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 16

Post by J.R.@A&M »

deleted
Last edited by J.R.@A&M on Wed May 27, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Topic author
safety1
Posts in topic: 114

Post by safety1 »

The chances of HB910 making back from committee and both sides accepting it. Slim to none! IMO
The Senate Dems will filibuster it, they warned us twice already.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

boomstick
Posts in topic: 2

Post by boomstick »

It's all about the puppies! :rules:
SSGT, USAF Security Police (1975-1981)
NORAD Cheyenne Mountain, Osan AB Korea, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
TX CHL/LTC Instructor (2011-2017)
NRA Pistol Instructor (2015-2017)

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 10

Post by SewTexas »

Acevedo's officers will walk up to kids jaywalking and demand id's, which you do not have to have on you to walk on the street. So, do I think his officers will demand CHL's just because you are open carrying, yes. Do I like the Huffines Amendment, yes. Sorry, but I do. BUT, I think maybe it's time for it to go away if it means the bill will pass.

As an aside, I think Acevedo has entirely too much power in the capitol, the capitol is suppose to be for all the people of Texas, not just the people of Austin.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

chamberc
Posts in topic: 8

Post by chamberc »

steveincowtown wrote:The fact that so many LEO Organizations seem to be coming out against the amendment, tells me that we need the amendment.

The amendment is just restating what the 4th amendment guarantees and what case law stands behind. If someone is engaged in an activity which is lawful, an LEO may not engage in a non consensual stop to question them about that activity.

It concerns me gravely that ANY LEO would protest this amendment. If we amended the HB910 to say "LEOs may not randomly mace people" or "No use of Taser on people that are not a threat" would we get them same blow back?

If an LEO is a student of the law, and wishes to uphold their oath to protect the Constitution, this amendment should not bother them in the least.
The amendment ensures 910 doesn't pass.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 78

Post by v7a »

SewTexas wrote:Do I like the Huffines Amendment, yes. Sorry, but I do. BUT, I think maybe it's time for it to go away if it means the bill will pass.
But isn't the only mechanism by which it can go away a conference committee? And there's probably not enough time for that?

Low Budget Shooter
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Low Budget Shooter »

So, under the new open carry law, Acevedo and his ilk think it would be "doing their job" to stop people who are peacefully open carrying and ask for their papers. Maybe the Dutton/Huffines amendment is more important that we thought! That doesn't mean the amendment is making the bill more likely or easier to pass, but it does shed some more light on its importance.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”