SB11 Campus Carry House Floor Debate 5/26/15

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 29

Re: SB11 Campus Carry House Floor Debate 5/26/15

Post by jerry_r60 »

It seems an important factor will be the selection of the members of the conference committee.

jamminbutter
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jamminbutter »

So twin giraffes take precedence over important state business? Geez

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 50

Post by Aggie_engr »

jamminbutter wrote:So twin giraffes take precedence over important state business? Geez
Hey everyone needs their own giraffe headwear to celebrate giraffe day!

causeican

Post by causeican »

jamminbutter wrote:So twin giraffes take precedence over important state business? Geez
:iagree:
2/22/10 Plastic
9/4/12 NRA Life Member
2/16/11 TSRA Life Time (EPL) started.

fickman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fickman »

RoyGBiv wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Reading Amendment 6... Looks like it changed the bill from "private colleges are still prohibited" to "private colleges can opt out".
I don't have a lot of grief about that, assuming I'm reading it correctly. Probably why it passed without a record vote.

Maybe I'm not reading it correctly?

Here's 411.2031(e): http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... 00182I.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(e) A private or independent institution of higher
education in this state, after consulting with students, staff, and
faculty of the institution, may establish rules, regulations, or
other provisions prohibiting license holders from carrying
handguns on premises that are owned or leased and operated by the
institution and located on the campus of the institution.
I wonder if the part about "after consulting with students, staff, and faculty..." has any teeth in it. Will students actually get a say? Will staff actually get a say? Or will libtard faculty have all the clout?
It's pretty easy to predict that fear mongering progressivism will win that argument.

When you leave civil liberties decisions to academics, they will never choose to support 2A. It's not in their genetics. Bottom line is that if you want to have 2A rights in any educational environment, the decision MUST be removed from the hands of educators and placed in the hands of legislators and judges.

Assuming campus carry passes in some useful form, it's a good step in the right direction. No law abiding person should disarmed. Predators will never obey any words on any page. It's only "Hope and Change" logic that could ever imagine a positive outcome from disarming the law abiding.
I kept thinking: I don't care about the opinion of an 18, 19, or 20 year old undergrad student on this matter. That's like letting the same group choose what brands of beer will be sold at alumni tailgate events.

. . . and in dialogue, people kept changing the words "staff, faculty" to "administrators". Big difference. And the feedback will only work if there is no retribution for somebody standing up and advocating for the right to carry.

I wouldn't have minded seeing some preemption language to protect the public university employees' rights to carry.
Native Texian

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RoyGBiv wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Reading Amendment 6... Looks like it changed the bill from "private colleges are still prohibited" to "private colleges can opt out".
I don't have a lot of grief about that, assuming I'm reading it correctly. Probably why it passed without a record vote.

Here's 411.2031(e): http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... 00182I.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder if the part about "after consulting with students, staff, and faculty..." has any teeth in it. Will students actually get a say? Will staff actually get a say? Or will libtard faculty have all the clout?
It's pretty easy to predict that fear mongering progressivism will win that argument.

When you leave civil liberties decisions to academics, they will never choose to support 2A. It's not in their genetics. Bottom line is that if you want to have 2A rights in any educational environment, the decision MUST be removed from the hands of educators and placed in the hands of legislators and judges.

Assuming campus carry passes in some useful form, it's a good step in the right direction. No law abiding person should disarmed. Predators will never obey any words on any page. It's only "Hope and Change" logic that could ever imagine a positive outcome from disarming the law abiding.
Exactly the point I was getting at....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Luggo1

Post by Luggo1 »

"Input" from various groups is meaningless. There will never be a consensus from any group in favor or concealed carry and if there was it is only "input". This is lipstick on a pig. Truly the exception that guts the rule.

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

I don't think private colleges can opt out. Amendment 6 explicitly states "strike Section 411.2031(e)". That's the section you quoted that allows the opt-out. With that section gone, there's no provision to opt out.

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

My reading of the amendment is that 411.2031 be removed. Do I need more coffeee?
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 4

Post by J.R.@A&M »

sugar land dave wrote:

My reading of the amendment is that 411.2031 be removed. Do I need more coffeee?
I've had two cups of French Roast, and that's how I understand it.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 25

Post by joe817 »

SewTexas wrote:Joe is going to be sorry he went to bed
Actually SewTexas the only reason the bill passed is BECAUSE I went to bed and stopped the jinx! :smilelol5: :lol:

I'm going to watch the recording of the melee. Thank you Lord!
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 4

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Going forward, are the next steps 1) concurrence (or likely, not) by the Senate, then 2) conference committee, then 3) both House and Senate approval of conference report ?

And if I have all that right, are House and Senate conference votes just up or down? I assume the are still at risk of chubbing or filibustering.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

safety1
Posts in topic: 27

Post by safety1 »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Going forward, are the next steps 1) concurrence (or likely, not) by the Senate, then 2) conference committee, then 3) both House and Senate approval of conference report ?

And if I have all that right, are House and Senate conference votes just up or down? I assume the are still at risk of chubbing or filibustering.
I won't belabor the first parts...I think you are on the right track.
Yes just up or down, I don't believe a concurrence vote can be filibustered, but the conference votes could.
Last edited by safety1 on Wed May 27, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

arthurcw

Post by arthurcw »

Dropped out last night sickened by the "sausage." Woke up this AM to cheers. But after catching up, it seems it's still dead, just allowed another couple of days to garner some $ from scared Bloombergbots for MDA.

Or is my take wrong? Because it seems the amendments will kill concurrence and there's no time for a conference. So all this is window dressing, just in a different form.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”