SB11 Campus Carry House Floor Debate 5/26/15

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

NEB
Posts in topic: 4

Re: SB11 Campus Carry House Floor Debate 5/26/15

Post by NEB »

Charles, can you clarify for me? If I'm reading amendment 5 correctly, this bill as amended now only applies to the main non-health related universities? So since I work at one of the health-related institutions of higher education listed in 63.002, I'm out of luck? If I'm reading it correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that makes absolutely no sense. If anything, the students at a health-related university are older and more responsible than the students at a typical 4-year institution.

I guess it's a huge step in the right direction, but I just don't understand why it needed to be limited to non-health-related institutions. Since time is so short, I'm guessing that there's little chance that it can be fixed at this point.
Last edited by NEB on Wed May 27, 2015 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

SA-TX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SA-TX »

ELB wrote:
sig-sog wrote:What good is this bill with the opt out?
If I understand correctly, 2/3 of the Regents of the university have to vote to "opt out." So campus carry is on the premises unless they take action. Right now, universities and colleges have to "opt in" for campus carry (on premises) to be legal, and none of them have done this.
IIRC, at least the Student Senate at A&M voted to opt-in but not sure about the institution as a whole.

Tracker
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Tracker »

didn't take long: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics ... -house.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

he forgot the vote

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 29

Post by Jasonw560 »

safety1 wrote:Can anyone explain what happened??? I froze up on the feed right at the big moment.
How did that happen? it was like the Dems just rolled over. What the what???
It passed. By God, it passed.

So, from what I understand after reading the amendments, the schools (excluding medical schools and hospitals) have to designate just certain portions of the campus as "off-limits" and have a 2/3 vote. Have to have the Big Ugly 30.06 signs at the off limits places. Then, on EVEN NUMBERED YEARS, they have to submit a report to a standing committee as to where the off limits places are and WHY they are off limits. I can see the schools trying to ban them from dorms. They'll lose money on that deal, though, because upperclassmen will live off campus if they can.

Sounds like the legislature can tell them what is acceptable and what isn't for off limits places.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

ELB
Posts in topic: 9

Post by ELB »

SA-TX wrote:
ELB wrote:
sig-sog wrote:What good is this bill with the opt out?
If I understand correctly, 2/3 of the Regents of the university have to vote to "opt out." So campus carry is on the premises unless they take action. Right now, universities and colleges have to "opt in" for campus carry (on premises) to be legal, and none of them have done this.
IIRC, at least the Student Senate at A&M voted to opt-in but not sure about the institution as a whole.
They may have, but it was only an expression of support, it had no legal effect.
USAF 1982-2005

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 28

Post by SewTexas »

ELB wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:
safety1 wrote:Can anyone explain what happened??? I froze up on the feed right at the big moment.
They used a rule where 25 members can vote/sign/something and end all debate and amendments and force a vote immediately.
Talk about pulling a rabbit out of a hat.
I have never heard of that one. that's interesting.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jmra
Posts in topic: 14

Post by jmra »

SewTexas wrote:
ELB wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:
They used a rule where 25 members can vote/sign/something and end all debate and amendments and force a vote immediately.
Talk about pulling a rabbit out of a hat.
I have never heard of that one. that's interesting.
Is that like a seldom used nuclear option?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 19

Post by v7a »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Okay, now I can say a little more about the Rep. Zerwas amendment. Even with the Amendment, it decriminalizes campus-carry. While it is a version of opt-out, it does require a 2/3 vote of the Board of Regents and it cannot be the entire campus. I can't get into why at this point.

Now to the Senate, after 3rd reading, where the addition of private institutions is a problem.

Chas.
Charles, should we be contacting Senators asking them to concur with the House changes to SB11?

SA-TX

Post by SA-TX »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Okay, now I can say a little more about the Rep. Zerwas amendment. Even with the Amendment, it decriminalizes campus-carry. While it is a version of opt-out, it does require a 2/3 vote of the Board of Regents and it cannot be the entire campus. I can't get into why at this point.

Now to the Senate, after 3rd reading, where the addition of private institutions is a problem.

Chas.
Wahoo! :woohoo

Following along from Detroit but time to go to sleep with a smile. :hurry:

SA-TX

safety1
Posts in topic: 27

Post by safety1 »

v7a wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:They used a rule where 25 members can vote/sign/something and end all debate and amendments and force a vote immediately.
Huh? Why wasn't this rule taken advantage of earlier in the day?
Wondering the same?
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 29

Post by jerry_r60 »

That last amendment puts a new hurdle when it goes back to the senate as it know brings the property rights issue back into play. I guess they can strip it back out in conference, if they have the will to do it.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 71

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

v7a wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:They used a rule where 25 members can vote/sign/something and end all debate and amendments and force a vote immediately.
Huh? Why wasn't this rule taken advantage of earlier in the day?
I thought the same thing... Just pull that as soon as you get to the floor. But, I'm not complaining, this is movement in the right direction. I just hope they hammer it out in conference and get this on the books.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

I feel like a 115 year-old Amish dude trying to figure out a space ship... What happened? Is finding the TX legislative process to be confusing a sign of early-onset Alzheimer's? Do I need to talk to my doctor?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

sig-sog
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sig-sog »

So let's say a student has a class in bldg 1 where carry is allowed. Then let's say their next class is in bldg 2 does not allow carry. Does the student have to go to their car to store the handgun? And then go back to get it for class in bldg 3 where it is again allowed. This is ridiculous.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”