SB11 Campus Carry House Floor Debate 5/26/15

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 50

Re: SB11 Campus Carry House Floor Debate 5/26/15

Post by Aggie_engr »

Rep. Terry Canales says we shouldn't mess with the calendar schedule, if we do it's de facto movement of bills which was defeated by 2/3 vote on an earlier motion and I'll move to amend each of those motions. From Canales website...

"So the first time - if we don't adopt this amendment - that somebody yanks a gun out of somebody's belt because we couldn't adopt the safety measure, you will not forget that you voted against this measure." Rep. Terry Canales

My question for Rep. Canales, how is purposely stalling all bills ahead of SB11 not changing the schedule of which bills get a fair hearing and vote on the house floor?
Last edited by Aggie_engr on Tue May 26, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Papa_Tiger »

I applaud the legislators for using the rules as written to achieve their desired result. I only wish some of our national representatives would stand on principle and use the rules to their fullest extent to block things that they dislike.

As much as I may dislike the likely outcome of their actions, I appreciate that they are willing to work within the rules as written.

In my opinion, the likely death of SB 11 hangs VERY firmly on Strauss and his buddies shoulders. The fact that the House had the Senate bills (SB 11 and SB 17) for nearly 2 months before they did anything with them points very squarely to the Strauss (Calendars Committee appointed by Strauss, overseen by Strauss) as the source of much of the issue. What should have been a stellar year for 2A bills winds up being pretty underwhelming. The biggest positive I see coming out of this session is the passage of SB 273 by both houses. Finally some teeth to stop governmental entities from posting unenforceable 30.06 signs!

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 19

Post by v7a »

I hope House Rs retaliate by voting down every D-authored bill remaining this session (that otherwise would have passed with R support).

Ruark
Posts in topic: 29

Post by Ruark »

I'm watching it on and off. They're talking about SB1337 right now... something about authority of Texas Water DEvelopment Board to provide financial assistance to subdivisions... Stickland is wandering around, blocking the camera a few times.

You know, I watch this and it all seems so pointless sometimes. I mean, everybody already knows how the vote is going to go, and these people getting up and speaking are just talking into empty space. NOBODY is listening to them; everybody's walking around talking, joking, back-slapping, sometimes right in front of the speaker. I mean, jeez..... you wonder what the freaking point is.
Last edited by Ruark on Tue May 26, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ruark

juno106
Posts in topic: 10

Post by juno106 »

Or...

those Senators who refused to allow SB11 to be amended to HB910, because they "trusted" Strauss
Papa_Tiger wrote:In my opinion, the likely death of SB 11 hangs VERY firmly on Strauss and his buddies shoulders. The fact that the House had the Senate bills (SB 11 and SB 17) for nearly 2 months before they did anything with them points very squarely to the Strauss (Calendars Committee appointed by Strauss, overseen by Strauss) as the source of much of the issue. What should have been a stellar year for 2A bills winds up being pretty underwhelming. The biggest positive I see coming out of this session is the passage of SB 273 by both houses. Finally some teeth to stop governmental entities from posting unenforceable 30.06 signs!

mojo84
Posts in topic: 21

Post by mojo84 »

Here is a post from Dan Patrick's facebook page. I think he took an unnecessary jab at the House and Straus. The timing of which is akin to making your waiter mad before he brings you your food. It seems like it is just asking for some extra goodies in your food. Dan Patrick seems very clumsy in his political dealings. I think this post was ill advised and the timing was beyond poor.

Dan Patrick
May 22 at 9:40pm ·
The Senate passed out Open Carry nearly two months ago to the House. The Senate Bill was not taken up by the House. They passed their Open Carry over to us instead.
With the clock running out and only days to go we moved the House bill on Open Carry, very similar to our original bill, tonight.
After almost 8 hrs of debate on the floor the bill finally passed 20-11
It is now up to the House to agree with the bill, which I believe they will, and then it goes to the Governor
The House has also had Campus Carry bill for two months. They have agreed to pass that bill in the next few days.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 50

Post by Aggie_engr »

Ruark wrote:I mean, jeez..... you wonder what the freaking point is.
They like to hear themselves talk?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Campus-carry is dead.

SB11 passed the Senate on March 19th and was in the House the next day. Speaker Joe Straus didn't refer it to committee until 46 days later (5/9/15). A rules vote has just killed campus-carry because of the intentional delay getting this early-passed bill to the House Floor on the very last day it could pass. This is Joe Straus' fault. Undoubtedly, others were involved, but the control and responsibility falls on Straus' shoulders.

Chas.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 71

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Yeah, I think we can stick a fork in it. The failed suspension of the rules is also a load.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Papa_Tiger wrote:I applaud the legislators for using the rules as written to achieve their desired result. I only wish some of our national representatives would stand on principle and use the rules to their fullest extent to block things that they dislike.

As much as I may dislike the likely outcome of their actions, I appreciate that they are willing to work within the rules as written.
This was not an underhanded move; it's done all the time. It is done in part because of the Star Chamber-like procedure of having a Calendars Committee that works in absolute secrecy. The House should have the same procedure used by the Senate so no Member can secretly kill/tag a bill in Calendars.

Chas.

Vitticeps
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Vitticeps »

This stalling is pathetic. Nothing less than abusing the rules. The rules were never written with the intent to provide a way to delay bills that you do not like.

The more I learn about politics, the more saddened by it I become.

safety1
Posts in topic: 27

Post by safety1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Campus-carry is dead.

SB11 passed the Senate on March 19th and was in the House the next day. Speaker Joe Straus didn't refer it to committee until 46 days later (5/9/15). A rules voted has just killed campus-carry because of the intentional delay getting this early-passed bill to the House Floor on the very last day it could pass. This is Joe Straus' fault.

Chas.
Does this do anything for HB910, somebody has to save face or Bloomberg will rub this in our face for 2 years or more!
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Rrash
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rrash »

SB11 passed the Senate on March 19th and was in the House the next day. Speaker Joe Straus didn't refer it to committee until 46 days later (5/9/15). A rules vote has just killed campus-carry because of the intentional delay getting this early-passed bill to the House Floor on the very last day it could pass. This is Joe Straus' fault.

Chas.
...yet he will be overwhelmingly voted as Speaker in 2017. What is the definition of insanity again?

safety1

Post by safety1 »

Rrash wrote:

SB11 passed the Senate on March 19th and was in the House the next day. Speaker Joe Straus didn't refer it to committee until 46 days later (5/9/15). A rules vote has just killed campus-carry because of the intentional delay getting this early-passed bill to the House Floor on the very last day it could pass. This is Joe Straus' fault.

Chas.
...yet he will be overwhelmingly voted as Speaker in 2017. What is the definition of insanity again?
we are watching it!
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

safety1

Post by safety1 »

One act play.....are you serious??
NRA - Life Member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”