HB910 on House Calendar for 3rd Reading

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 46

Re: HB910 on House Calendar for 3rd Reading

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The Dutton/Rinaldi Amendment will not kill HB910. The Amendment may be stripped in the Senate, then it may not. There is a sound case law basis for it and it does not preclude law enforcement from making an investigatory stop if there are factors present beyond the mere possession of a firearm. The Amendment essentially states current federal case law in some but not all jurisdictions (nothing in the 5th Cir.).

It's most unfortunate that Stickland/Grisham/OCT are grossly mischaracterizing the impact of the Amendment solely to camouflage their unmitigated legislative failure this session. It is further proof that the true goal of OCT/Grisham is to make OCT/Grisham look good, not pass open-carry. They place the focus not on the message, but on the messenger.

Chas.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 23

Post by Ruark »

You know, a LOT of my feelings about these cop-stops would depend on the nature of the interaction. If a passing officer just briefly paused, glanced at my CHL, said "thanks, have a good one" and kept walking, that might be tolerable now and then. But if he acts in a domineering manner, attracting attention, takes my gun "for your own safety" while he examines my CHL/ID, then tells me to stand there (maybe with a couple of other officers who have arrived by now) while he moseys back to his cruiser to run a warrant check (while a crowd gathers) or mutters for 10 minutes on his shoulder mic, well, you get the picture... that would be a different matter.
-Ruark

The Wall
Posts in topic: 20

Post by The Wall »

So if HB910 doesn't pass the Senate, the House should turn around and pass SB17 & 11 as written, and watch Stickland squirm.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 36

Post by mr1337 »

Ruark wrote:You know, a LOT of my feelings about these cop-stops would depend on the nature of the interaction. If a passing officer just briefly paused, glanced at my CHL, said "thanks, have a good one" and kept walking, that might be tolerable now and then. But if he acts in a domineering manner, attracting attention, takes my gun "for your own safety" while he examines my CHL/ID, then tells me to stand there (maybe with a couple of other officers who have arrived by now) while he moseys back to his cruiser to run a warrant check (while a crowd gathers) or mutters for 10 minutes on his shoulder mic, well, you get the picture... that would be a different matter.
Don't forget running the serial of the gun and emptying the chamber and magazine, dumping the rounds on the sidewalk before giving it back to you, for "officer safety."
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Maxwell »

mr1337 wrote:
Don't forget running the serial of the gun and emptying the chamber and magazine, dumping the rounds on the sidewalk before giving it back to you, for "officer safety."

Don't you think that's a little bit of a conspiracy theorist point of view? I mean really, how many people do you know, or anyone for that matter, that have ever had an officer "dumping rounds on the sidewalk..."...?
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

thechl
Posts in topic: 8

Post by thechl »

My wife was speeding through west Texas. I was the front seat passenger. A trooper pulled her over. She gave him both her licenses. The trooper asked if there were any guns in the car. She said, "I don't have one, but he does." The trooper leaned into the car and asked where I had the gun. I told him in my right front pocket. He said: "I won't touch mine if you don't touch yours." I assured him, with a smile, that I thought that was best course of action. A few minutes later he returned to the car with a written warning for her. We were back on our way.

He never even asked if I had a CHL.

This is how I expect most police encounters with citizens go down. No drama. I suspect that will continue to be the case...for most.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 13

Post by TexasCajun »

ScooterSissy wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:
RPBrown wrote:The question I have is will this amendment be accepted by the senate or is this a bill killer?
The Dutton amendment probably would have been a non-issue for the Senate. But Stickland decided to run his mouth, so it might very well be a bill killer now.
I think the attention the amendment is getting has more to do with Bud Kennedy misrepresenting what the amendment means. He used Strickland's views, but he would have run with his misrepresentation anyway, that's his MO.
Stickland made it so that Bud Kennedy wouldn't have to interject his own actual views on the subject. Just like in the courtroom, it's as much about what you DON'T say as what you do say. That he chose to start peacocking about this and that he chose now to do so should tell you all that you need to know about him.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 18

Post by locke_n_load »

Maxwell wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

Don't you think that's a little bit of a conspiracy theorist point of view? I mean really, how many people do you know, or anyone for that matter, that have ever had an officer "dumping rounds on the sidewalk..."...?
I have seen a video where the officer ejected every round from the magazine onto the ground. Happen much? No. Ever happen? Yes.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 8

Post by LSUTiger »

Maxwell wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

It happen to me years ago while living in LA-Louisiana, I was pulled over for speeding, informed the state trooper of CHL, he disarmed me, dropped the mag and emptied the one in the chamber on the ground then set it all in the hood of my truck not to gently, scratching the H E double hockey sticks out of it-both truck and gun. The round on the ground covered in grit, dirt and other abrasive stuff scuffed up the brass and projectile seemed a little out of shape.

Not only did I get a ticket but also a scratched gun, truck and round that did not seem quite right so I had to dispense of an expensive JHP round at the range.

Then last year, in LA again, this time with TX chl, a local yokel pulled me over, again I informed of CHL and he disarmed me and then took my gun and cleared it and placed it in his vehicle and did not return it to me until the stop was over. Im sure he ran the serial #. He was so nervous and wound up about it I thought he was gonna explode. All was professional but he really seemed uncomfortable, the kinda LEO who should stick to a desk job. The other was the kinda LEO who just wanted to be disagreeable because he could.

So it's not far fetched to run into the kinda police officer who might give you unnecessary grief for "your safety" or just because he could. So far I all LEO encounters in TX have been much better, no disarming.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

CJD
Posts in topic: 32

Post by CJD »

The Wall wrote:So if HB910 doesn't pass the Senate, the House should turn around and pass SB17 & 11 as written, and watch Stickland squirm.
Well I hope they would at least add the amendments to 30.06 and 30.07 back in.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Maxwell wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

It's not unheard of.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@3 min 28 secs through 4 min 25 secs
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Taypo »

mr1337 wrote:
Maxwell wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

It's not unheard of.

Gee whiz, I wonder why they gave him a hard time? Using an OC zealot to make your point kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Out of curiosity, any idea where the first part of that video is? The one you're linking to edited out the beginning, which pretty much set the tone for that whole interaction.
Last edited by Taypo on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 9

Post by ScooterSissy »

mr1337 wrote:
Maxwell wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

It's not unheard of.

Maybe the guy should have waited a few minutes, and then called in that some crazy man dumped bullets all over the ground, and drove off and left them ...

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Taypo wrote:
mr1337 wrote:
Maxwell wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

It's not unheard of.

Gee whiz, I wonder why they gave him a hard time? Using an OC zealot to make your point kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Out of curiosity, any idea where the first part of that video is? The one you're linking to edited out the beginning, which pretty much set the tone for that whole interaction.

You can view the beginning of the video by seeking to the beginning on the youtube video (I didn't edit anything out, I just liked to the part that was relevant.)

Why is he considered a zealot by just walking down the street with a rifle? He's not waving a sign or harassing anyone. The police started the encounter, not him. He's just asserting his rights. Police should treat everyone equally who are engaging in lawful activity. It's obvious the police just do not approve of his openly carrying of a firearm, which is legal in that jurisdiction.
Keep calm and carry.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Taypo »

mr1337 wrote:
Taypo wrote:
mr1337 wrote:
Maxwell wrote:
mr1337 wrote:

It's not unheard of.

You can view the beginning of the video by seeking to the beginning on the youtube video (I didn't edit anything out, I just liked to the part that was relevant.)

Why is he considered a zealot by just walking down the street with a rifle? He's not waving a sign or harassing anyone. The police started the encounter, not him. He's just asserting his rights. Police should treat everyone equally who are engaging in lawful activity. It's obvious the police just do not approve of his openly carrying of a firearm, which is legal in that jurisdiction.
Yep, my bad. Internet fail on my part.

I can exercise my rights to walk around in a jockstrap and hairnet, but I'll bet that gets a police response too.

The person in the video was trying to provoke a reaction, which he did. He got exactly the response he hoped for and he got it on video, so I suppose he considers that a success. The OCT folks were exercising a right too, and weve all seen how well that worked out.

If you don't see a difference between someone standing on a corner with a long gun and someone carrying a pistol while they go about their daily business, I can understand why you'd think this would occur on a regular basis. In the real world, I'm quite confident that the two are drastically different and will get two different responses.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”