HB910 on House Calendar for 3rd Reading

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K5GU
Posts in topic: 58

Re: HB910 on House Calendar for 3rd Reading

Post by K5GU »

K5GU wrote:
gregsauls wrote:I heard from a couple sources that what the non-germane amendment that Stickland was trying to get introduced Friday was to remove fees for a Texas CHL, ie free CHL. In a way it would get even closer to the constitutional carry/no-infringement goal the OC gang has desires on seeing or more likely torpedo CHL-Open carry for this session. He would also have record to run on to show who voted against "his" version/amendment that denied Texas OC.

If this is true, I can see why the whole Stickland side show needed to go down in flames with regards to HB-910. Weird if true.
If I read Stickland's commentary in the House Journal correctly, it seems his amendment would have allowed open carry with or without a CHL. If true, I don't see how it could be germane. Germaneness notwithstanding, he wasted a lot of time and written space in the journal on an amendment that would've been tabled anyway.
This is the part of Stickland's commentary written in the House Journal I was referring to where he is addressing "unintended consequences" for the police. And doesn't seem rational to me. How could making open carry without a CHL reduce the LEO's concerns? Maybe I'm reading it wrong. From page 59 of the journal:

"..Consider the following testimony, given in the Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety, on March 17 in a public hearing on HBi910. Assistant Police Chief Donald McKinney of the Houston Police Department
stated: "We r’e not going to stop everybody that s’ open-carrying to identify them. If this bill goes, we d’ like to see some language that addresses that, that takes our cops out of that position. Because they r’e caught in
the middle. There s’ no way they can balance this."

The Stickland amendment addresses this concern by legalizing the open carry of handguns for those both with a CHL and those without, which removes all unintended consequences of a more limited measure directed at allowing for the open carry of a holstered handgun."

Note for any "journalists" reading this, this post is discussing a failed attempt to amend HB910 as it was being debated on the House Floor on 04-17-15.
Last edited by K5GU on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is good.

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by rbwhatever1 »

jmra wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:Here I was thinking spam bots were writing the articles, with the headlines like "Texas set to approve open up have of handguns, witnessed as get for gun-rights activists" from this article http://www.bulletinstandard.org/us/texa ... 10153.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It will be hard to convince me otherwise.
Wow! That was painful.
Very. Incoherent sentences a plenty in that one.
III

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

rbwhatever1 wrote:
jmra wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:Here I was thinking spam bots were writing the articles, with the headlines like "Texas set to approve open up have of handguns, witnessed as get for gun-rights activists" from this article http://www.bulletinstandard.org/us/texa ... 10153.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It will be hard to convince me otherwise.
Wow! That was painful.
The way the article is written reminds me of some of the imported product user manuals - some of which are pretty funny the way they're written.
Life is good.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 75

Post by mojo84 »

rbwhatever1 wrote:
jmra wrote:
Wow! That was painful.
That have big hamburger right gun stuff Christmas in April all over The Grand ole opry State of Tejas right there. Nothing like plumbago pie.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra
Posts in topic: 21

Post by jmra »

mojo84 wrote:
rbwhatever1 wrote:
jmra wrote:
Wow! That was painful.
That have big hamburger right gun stuff Christmas in April all over The Grand ole opry State of Tejas right there. Nothing like plumbago pie.
Precisely inexactly accurate.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

mojo84 wrote:
rbwhatever1 wrote:
jmra wrote:
Wow! That was painful.
I thought it was interesting that their web page has a statement that their site contains copyrighted material that they don't have permission to print, but if you want, you can ask them to remove it, "..Please send email to copyrights@bulletinstandard.org in any copyright issues on any material that you want use to delete from our website database, before you contact with our lawyers!"
The web site has to be a joke.
Life is good.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RoyGBiv »

I got a malicious page warning from AVAST. Just FYI.

Definitely painfully bad editing.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

RoyGBiv wrote:
I got a malicious page warning from AVAST. Just FYI.

Definitely painfully bad editing.
Pings and trace route queries show several hops to Germany, DNS in Canada.
Life is good.

TBJK
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TBJK »

Am I the only one bothered by admendment 12? Not that I intend on carrying extra mags but would like the option too without it being criminalized.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 46

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TBJK wrote:Am I the only one bothered by admendment 12? Not that I intend on carrying extra mags but would like the option too without it being criminalized.
That amendment was tabled; it's not in HB910. Only one amendment was attached and it was a very good one, i.e. Shaefer's 18.

Chas.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

mojo84 wrote:
rbwhatever1 wrote:
jmra wrote:
Wow! That was painful.
That was hilarious I don't care if you're drinkin or not...
III

TBJK
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TBJK »

Good, I must have mis-read/mis-understood it then. Thanks

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

rbwhatever1 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
rbwhatever1 wrote:
jmra wrote:
Wow! That was painful.
That was hilarious I don't care if you're drinkin or not...
That article has to be taken from a foreign news article and translated with an on line translator, then printed without editing it.

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 10

Post by G.A. Heath »

:iagree:

I suspect that there will be at least one hissy fit (Stickland) and one anti-gun pouting session (Nevarez) but that HB910 will be engrossed to the Senate without too much trouble.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”