Life Jacket Locking Sleeve for car mounting

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
AustinMRH
Posts in topic: 2

Life Jacket Locking Sleeve for car mounting

Post by AustinMRH »

I've been looking for a good solution for how to secure my CCW when I am not able to carry. I am mostly thinking about a lockbox mounted in the trunk, but just came across the LifeJacket. A few site show them being mounted to a solid object. Clearly I know it is not as safe as a safe, but then I figure if somebody finds either they are going to make an effort to take them, even if they can't open them.

This is the Polycarb version, but I'd use the metal version.

Any thoughts or experience?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Life Jacket Locking Sleeve for car mounting

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I guess my primary objection is that it shows off what it contains, making it:
  1. NOT concealed for the purposes of MPA or CHL.
  2. NOT concealed which makes it a temptation to break into the car.
There are locking devices of nearly the same thickness that will fully enclose a large framed 1911 (I have one), and which can be secured under your front seat by means of a coated steel cable around the seat mount. They cost something like $29.95 at Cabelas and other sporting goods stores, and they always have them in stock.

I would not use the particular device in your post.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
AustinMRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AustinMRH »

I should clarify that I have no intention of mounting this out in the open. Whatever I end up with will be mounted in the rear underfloor storage of my SUV. While traveling the gun stays in the holster or in the console. When I get someplace I either can't carry or shouldn't carry I want a secure place to store the gun. Nobody will be able to see it, unless they are already in the car and tearing it apart. At that point it is probably just as safe as a box on a string.

Ideally I would love a smaller version of one of the 4 finger electric jobs. My car doesn't have an optional CD player, so there is a really nice little place carved out back there I would love to use. Problem is finding one small enough.

KFP

Post by KFP »

I have two of the same item that TAM mentioned - they're great for your intended purpose and about as compact as you could expect. There are two sizes, if you're hoping for compact, but with both being the same price, I opted for two larges. It's a tight fit, but I can squeeze my Glock 19 and my J Frame in one. If you watch them for a little while, sometimes they'll drop down to $20 each.

Center of Mass (http://www.center-of-mass.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) makes a wide variety of items that may be of interest to you. The sell an identical "safe" but you can get them keyed alike, or with a combo lock.

The primary purpose for mine is for air travel, I do have one under the front seat of my truck, but can't think of a time that I've used it. I don't think that the airline or TSA would be too pleased with the exposed portions of the pistol on the Life Jacket if you plan to fly with you gun.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

HarleyDave

Post by HarleyDave »

AustinMRH...

Have you installed and or used as yet, what do you think. Maybe a brief review would be helpful.
CHL Class 10/8/10,
LICENSE n Hand 11/12/10
His Firearms - Glock19, Springfield 1911 3", Sig P238, KAHR P380, Bond Arms Snake Slayer
Her Firearms - Glock19, Springfield 9 XD SC, Sig P238 {Liberty}

MickyD

Post by MickyD »

I just ordered something similar to if not the identical case mentioned by The Annoyed Man from Amazon for $25 delivered.
Mickey

Online application submitted: 10/16/2010
L-1 Fingerprints: 10/20/2010
Taurus PT640 40S&W: ?/2011
Taurus 24/7 40S&W: 10/20/2010 retired
CHL class: 11/6/2010
Mailed to Austin: 11/8/2010 Rec'd 11/10/2010
CHL received: 12/2/2010 24 days mailout to mailbox

NEB

Post by NEB »

I also have the case the annoyed man mentioned. It's cable is secured around my passenger seat frame, and the case slides nicely under the seat completely out of view. I can reach it from the driver's seat to store my firearm if I have to remove it, and with the mild clutter in my floorboard, it would likely be overlooked in a hasty smash/grab.

--NEB

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The only issue I have had with the lock-boxes shown above is that they tend to slide out from under the seat. I put a couple of strips of adhesive Velcro on them (the hook side) and that grips the carpet and keeps them in place. They are really easy to pull out, but just don't slide around any longer. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Keith B wrote:The only issue I have had with the lock-boxes shown above is that they tend to slide out from under the seat. I put a couple of strips of adhesive Velcro on them (the hook side) and that grips the carpet and keeps them in place. They are really easy to pull out, but just don't slide around any longer.
Great Idea!! I have been having that issue and could not figure out how to correct it.
Thanks Keith!
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

maisano

Post by maisano »

i used the same set up as the annoyed man and what i did is mounted it in my centerconsole. i just bolted it down in the midde and it fits great. I bought the one with the combo lock and fits both my weapons (not at the same time, but never tried it) the bodyguard 380 and the glock 30. but this thing wont go any wear. and i just couldnt fork over $250.00 for a centerconsole vault , so i saw what this guy did on tundrasolutions.

and what make it nice it is kinda of stealth now being i mounted it under my removeable tray that is in there. i will try to take some pics later.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Another shout-out for the Nanovault. Academy sells them now.
I can lock up my gun and slide it under the seat without leaving the drivers seat.
It also comes in handy for locking up a GPS.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

flechero

Post by flechero »

I have no experience with either product but the open design of the life jacket will certainly (over time) collect dirt, debris and junk inside... not a good combination for a semi-auto pistol.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”