Requesting experiences and thoughts on Lasers

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Hyunchback
Posts in topic: 1

Requesting experiences and thoughts on Lasers

Post by Hyunchback »

I'll admit to having purchased a set of Laser Grips and I'll also confess that after trying them a time or two I put them back in the box.

My experience told me that I was focusing on that little dot and would not be aware of what else may be happening. I imagined not being aware of what a prospective bad guy may be doing. If he's dropping his gun while I'm focusing on the little dot I could be in trouble. If he's grabbing my family member while I'm looking for my dot I could be in trouble.

I don't want to limit my question to just this one brand.

To those of you who have lasers of some sort on your carry piece what are your experiences with them? Do they activate when you don't want them to? Do the batteries die prematurely? When firing with a laser what is your impression of the experience?

The model I had features a switch to turn off the pressure switch. If I had these on a gun would I carry the handgun with that switch on, and chancing other pressures putting the laser on and revealing my concealed handgun? Or would the switch be off and be useless until any potential trouble is over with.

So I'm putting the issue out for input from the fine and experienced folks here.
What is Project One Million: Texas?
The "Project" is a grassroots effort to increase the number of Texans who are members of the National Rifle Association from 250.000 to 1,000,000.
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com/

Lumberjack98

Re: Requesting experiences and thoughts on Lasers

Post by Lumberjack98 »

The use of lasers has typically been pretty controversial. Just recently, a lot of gun mag writers have changed their positions on them from against them to for them.

My biggest reason for using laser grips is that I may not always be able to get a proper sight picture when having to take a shot and the laser enables you to have the gun in almost any position and see where the shot will go.

The laser should not replace proper training with your pistol and it's sights, it's just another tool.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

Lumberjack98 wrote:The laser should not replace proper training with your pistol and it's sights, it's just another tool.
:iagree:

I've never used them, however, have seen people shooting at local ranges with them. Usually what I see is the dot dancing around the target until the shooter jerks the trigger. The end result is a target that looks like they used birdshot at 50 yards. My guess is they focus completely on the dot and drive themselves nuts trying to chase it. Most would be better off spending the money on some instruction and a pellet pistol or .22 to learn sight alignment/sight picture/trigger control.

All that said, I am sure that in some circumstances they would be useful.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

I have used laser sights on a couple of occasions. On the surface they seem to be a great idea - just put the dot on the target and shoot! Actually I found them to be distracting to use. I found myself looking and the sights and then the dot and then the sights so it actually took longer to shoot than with just the sights. I imagine that they would be much better at night, but I haven't had the opportunity for night shooting yet.
NRA Endowment Member

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I have a set of Laser Grips on my night carry gun. I have practiced with them and don't really find the dot distracting as long as I follow proper sight discipline.

I accidently left my laser on at the start of an IDPA match a few years ago. The SO didn't even realize they were illegal so I could have gotten away with finishing the stage, but I chnaged my grip and turned it off as soon as I noticed. I don't think it affected my score either way.

I don't think I would own Laser Grips if my wife hadn't given me a set for a gift, but I do have a couple of laser sighting tools that can be added to a gun as a sight.

I also have several holo and red dot sights, and like them immensely.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

I have an Insight M6X on my home defense gun. It's the model with light and laser. It's really for my wife in the event that I'm not home. I've shot with it several times and don't find it too distracting, but depending on it alone I'm not as accurate. I'm still "minute of felon", but with a proper sight picture, I can just as quickly keep 'em in the kill zone at the typical 7-10 yards. My wife however, does not shoot very often and only then to make sure she can hit center mass in the event of an emergency. I'm working on encouraging her and supporting her and hoping she'll become more interested in shooting. I don't expect it to be a hobby, but I'd like her to shoot enough to be more proficient. For her, the laser is very good. She's shot with it several times and is always center mass. Her opinion is that she's got 14 bullets, she's got to hit them sometime. She can use the laser and put 14 rounds in a sillouette target very easily. In my opinion, the laser is usefull for what it is, but like others have mentioned, it really can't take the place of good training.
TacTex
NRA Life Member

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

Lumberjack98 wrote: The laser should not replace proper training with your pistol and it's sights, it's just another tool.
:iagree: Well said!

Originally i was for lasers, not so much for helping me shoot as I try to work on being an instinctive aimer, but as pure intimidation to the bad guy. There's a mental difference between looking down the barrel of a gun and looking down the barrel of a gun and seeing that red dot on your chest. A distinct difference in my mind. I did some research on lasers about a year or two ago and found numerous police officers searing by them for just that very reason. They all described incidents where they drew down on someone with little effect and then turned on the laser and the guy just layed it down because he suddenly realized he was really about to get shot. There's something to be said for that imo.

More recently though I've switched philosophies. The above may be true for law enforcement but in most scenarios I can see myself getting into I want to be in a position where I've already shot the guy before he even knew i was armed. I find myself going back to these words a lot
In small unit tactics sheer surprise may totally invert numerical superiority
- Jeff Cooper
I don't want to advertise my presence or my intent to the BG in most situations so a laser is probably not something I want in a home defense weapon.

However, it would be nice to have the option of a laser so that i can just turn it on at the flick of a switch if I want it as I can envision some scenarios that might benefit from that as well as a tactical light which is very nice to have imo.

On a different note, why are lasers and lights so darn expensive? I can get a cat toy laser from petsmart for under $10 and a quality mini-maglight for about the same. Adding a $5 rail mounting bracket doesn't justify a $150 price jump imo. I looked at a model the other day that was both laser and tactical light with a rail mounting bracket that was over $230. I'm blown away by that.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

LedJedi wrote:On a different note, why are lasers and lights so darn expensive?
Because they can. When someone starts selling them for what they are worth, prices will drop. I am surprised that it hasn't happened yet.

I also doubt the "intimidation factor" for a CHL. In most situations, by the time the BG would notice the laser things would be over.
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My eyesight is not as good as it used to be. It's not terribly bad either, but I have trouble picking up my sights in low ambient light without my reading glasses on, particularly my front sight. Trouble is, I've just got aging eyes, and I have to wear bifocals when I'm out and about now. At the range, with the bifocals on, it requires tilting my head back unnaturally to bring the reading part of the lenses into play to see the front sight without blurriness. I can use my reading glasses at the range, and that works, but they are actually a hindrance when I'm driving or walking around, so I pretty much have to wear the bifocals most of the time. While a laser is no substitute for a good sight picture, particularly if you have good eyesight, it does seem to me that if I can get the red dot onto center of mass, I can be assured of placing a shot at any reasonable distance within an inch or so of that red dot. Under the pressure of an actual shooting situation, that may be the best I can hope for.

Currently, the only pistol in my house with a laser sight feature is the S&W 642 Airweight I just gave my wife a couple of days ago for Valentines Day. Having played around with it a little bit (unloaded and inside the house) has pretty much convinced me that getting a set of these for my 1911 might be worth trying, but they sure are spendy.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

I am both pro and con lasers. For my AR equipped with night vision the laser is invaluable, especially the IR one. I can keep the NV goggles on my head where there more useful instead of on the weapon where they are less effective.

For CCW use (outside the home), I’m not impressed with lasers. The internal lasers are typically too hard to turn on, and the fight is over before you get them in the game. Rail mounted still have the problem of turning them on, and they add bulk to your CCW and drastically limit your holster choices.

For CCW Laser Grips are probably the only real choice. They don’t “bulk up� the pistol and can use standard holsters. The on button is located where the majority of users will automatically activate the laser during the act of drawing, so they’re on when you need them.

For me, I have a problem with indexing my trigger finger. The location I index on is right in front of the laser lens, so I block the laser. After decades of training myself to index it’s so ingrained there’s no chance of changing it, so the laser is of very limited use to me.

I also seem to be slower when using the laser. During practice sessions, the laser slows me down by ~1/10 second when firing two handed or strong hand only inside 7 yards. Inside 3 yards I point shoot, so the laser slows me down even more while I locate the dot.

When I switch to off-hand (let’s assume my strong hand has been taken out of action) the laser is a distinct advantage and increases my hit accuracy.

I know some folks that are absolutely convinced on the benefits of laser for clearing their house. Aside from the discussion of is it smart to clear your house by yourself, they feel it gives them an advantage in the typical extremely low light situation most would face when hunting an uninvited guest in their house.

I personally don’t care for the idea since I feel it telegraphs your presence to the bad guys. While you’re pieing the door, the laser is telling everyone in the room exactly which door your about to enter from. The darker the room, the more obvious the laser dot is.

With the exception of my rifles for night work, my lasers have become safe queens.

Fosforos

Post by Fosforos »

MrsFosforos has CrimsonTrace grips on her Colt Defender.

I mainly see them as a nice training tool, the dot shows what is happening when you pull the trigger. Having someone else tell you that you are shooting low and left because you are anticipating recoil and slapping the trigger is not the same as seeing it happen before your own eyes.
But with four cats in the house, it's tough to get any amount of time to dry practice before you have a bunch of them jumping for the dot.

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

Fosforos wrote:But with four cats in the house, it's tough to get any amount of time to dry practice before you have a bunch of them jumping for the dot.
Admit it you’re not practicing you are really just messing with the cats. "rlol"
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Image Image Image Image
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Fosforos

Post by Fosforos »

Wildscar wrote:
Fosforos wrote:But with four cats in the house, it's tough to get any amount of time to dry practice before you have a bunch of them jumping for the dot.
Admit it you’re not practicing you are really just messing with the cats. "rlol"
You got me...
we ended up getting a laser pointer for the cats, since I ended up in violation of the Rules with the laser grips, by pointing at something I wasn't intending to destroy.

...sometimes I do have the urge though, like today when one of them knocked a clothes iron off a shelf and it dropped 4 feet, bouncing off the middle of my head.

TScottTX

Post by TScottTX »

Lumberjack98 wrote:The laser should not replace proper training with your pistol and it's sights, it's just another tool.
The Annoyed Man wrote:My eyesight is not as good as it used to be. It's not terribly bad either, but I have trouble picking up my sights in low ambient light without my reading glasses on, particularly my front sight. Trouble is, I've just got aging eyes....
+1 I've had the Lasermax in a Glock and currently have CTC laser grips on a Beretta 96 - why not? They don't hurt anything if not used and it's an extra tool that I have at my disposal. Lots of guys and gals carry knives, flashlights, extra mags and who knows what but boohoo the laser that doesn't weight anything or take up any added space. I say if you can afford one, go for it!

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”