Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
CodeJockey
Posts in topic: 4

Smartcarry Review

Post by CodeJockey »

Hello all,

I picked up a new SmartCarry holster on Friday and wore it all day Friday, Saturday, and today. I chose this particular holster because I needed deep concealment. I have to say I was a little skeptical at first, but after reading reviews and watching a few demonstration videos I decided to give it a try. Here is the breakdown as I see it:

Pros:
  • Deep concealment - It is completely undetectable. I'm a big guy (in the gut) :mrgreen:, and it doesn't show at all, nor is it difficult for me to draw from. I told my wife I was carrying and she didn't believe me.
  • Very quick draw, even with a belt. It took a bit of practice (with an unloaded weapon, of course), but I really don't think that I could draw any faster from an IWB holster. I will, of course, continue to practice this to get muscle memory and such down, but I'm convinced that it won't be a problem at all.
  • Comfortable - It took me a few hours of re-adjusting to get it situated so that I could get it comfortable, but now that I know how to wear it, I literally have no issues whatsoever with comfort. I can say with all sincerity that it would be easy to forget you were wearing this, even sitting down.
  • Convenient - It is not difficult to use the restroom. I haven't had any issues with that, and that was one of my concerns.
  • I can wear this with shorts, jeans, dress slacks, etc with no problems.
Cons:
  • The material seems a little less sturdy than I expected, so we'll have to see how it wears. This may not be a con, only time will tell on that.
  • If you were to be made wearing this it'd be when you sit, because it kind of sticks up a bit, but I really doubt this would happen, and it's not that big a difference anyway.
  • Seated draw could be difficult. In an office chair, recliner, etc, it wouldn't be too bad. In a car, that is a different story, esp. with the seatbelt in place. I will have to practice this, but I'm thinking I might need to come up with an alternate carry method in the car. Perhaps transfer it to a SafePacker in the car that is attached to the seatbelt. This is, so far, the biggest downside to this holster.
The bottom line is that this holster is a great deal for the price, and I am super glad I made the purchase. I will probably still get a VersaMax II or Brigade M-11 holster for cases where deep concealment isn't quite as necessary, but for me, I feel this is more comfortable, more versatile, cheaper, and the all around better choice.
Always watch your six!
NRA Life Member

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Smartcarry Review

Post by Mike1951 »

Don't they recommend on their web site reinforcing the edges with duct tape to minimize fraying?

As much overhang as I've got, I just can't imagine that drawing would be easy.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

kwf2006
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kwf2006 »

The Smartcarry holster is amazing.

I love mine for my PX4

The Smarcarry website needs a lot of work though.

Mention Tom Gresham's Guntalk and get a discount from Smartcarry
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either." -look it up.

Topic author
CodeJockey

Post by CodeJockey »

Mike1951 wrote:Don't they recommend on their web site reinforcing the edges with duct tape to minimize fraying?
Hmmm. I didn't see that on there, but their website certainly could use some improvement. Even if they do recommend that, I don't think I will do it. I think the duct tape would pull at hair on my leg, and duct tape always seems to get nasty as it wears. I think if it begins to fray, I'll have my wife fix it up with her sewing machine.

Mike1951 wrote:As much overhang as I've got, I just can't imagine that drawing would be easy.
I definitely have a lot of weight to lose, and it truly is no problem for me at all. What I'd recommend, if I were you, is to try it out. They offer a 60 day return policy, so you can order it and see if you like it. If not, send it back for a refund.
Always watch your six!
NRA Life Member

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Mike1951 wrote:Don't they recommend on their web site reinforcing the edges with duct tape to minimize fraying?
Ever notice how duct tape gets after a while, especially in warm areas? Might as well just tape the gun on at that point.
As much overhang as I've got, I just can't imagine that drawing would be easy.
See, there's a bonus; the Smartcarry will help you stay protected in running gear.

dwsUSA

Post by dwsUSA »

codejocky, what kind of pistol/revolver you were carrying?

Topic author
CodeJockey

Post by CodeJockey »

I was carrying my Wilson Combat ADP; however, I have tried it with my Bersa .380 and with a XD Sub-Compact 9mm. These holsters come in various sizes to accomodate sub-compact all the way to full size 1911s. I like the smaller weapons because they fit my hand a little better.

Edit: As an update, I have no grown so accustomed to this holster that I completely forget I have it on, and the concealment is as deep as it is possible to be. My wife has no idea whether or not i'm carrying. It works well with jeans, shorts, or dress slacks. I have been wearing it every single day since I got it, and nobody has been able to tell, even if I tell them I'm carrying.
Always watch your six!
NRA Life Member

dwsUSA

Post by dwsUSA »

I have two small kids who often sit in my lap. What is the position of the smartcarry when seated? Would the kids be sitting on it?

Topic author
CodeJockey

Post by CodeJockey »

I have 3 kids and they sit on my lap all the time. I kind of wear it off to the right side, so when they want to sit on my lap, I just have them sit on my left leg. In that case no. If they sat fully on my lap or on my right leg, then yes they'd be sitting on it.
Always watch your six!
NRA Life Member

doc540

Post by doc540 »

dittos on the SmartCarry

I've been wearing mine regularly for several months now, and it's so comfortable I forget I have it on. I carry a Smith 36 in it.

re: drawing

While it's difficult to draw when sitting or driving, when standing I can draw, point, and fire in around 3 seconds.

Circumstances dictate that I carry in deep cover, so the SmartCarry is working beyond my best expectations.

I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone having to carry in deep cover.

http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

By looking reeeeeal carefully at the guy in the dress slacks, methinks that's a 5-shot revolver. But, realistically, how many people are going to stare reeeeeal carefully for very long at that portion of someone else's body. ;-)

I've done some experimenting with their size small holster and a PM-9. For me, there's a "sweet spot" around 4:00 where the set-up rides quite flat in a "pocket" just below my waistline. Possible for me to carry rather comfortably with shirttail tucked inside the same type of shorts or jeans where I'd othewise carry with leather IWB rig - and untucked shirts.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I've "made" a co-worker who sometimes uses a SmartCarry, but only because he doesn't realize he should have stopped wearing tight jeans 25 years ago. ;-)

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

I use a Smart Carry from time to time and I really don't care for it much. I think it has to do with my body style as I have large thighs & large rear end but I'm not fat. (6' & 195). I always have to get extra "relaxed fit" type jeans for them to look/fit normal. When I bought it, I weighed about 300lbs and it worked great and was very comfortable. It was only after I lost a bunch of weight that I didn't care for it. I used it every day for about 9 months and haven't really used it since until recently. It hung in my closet for about 5 years.

I've recently changed jobs and the management there takes a dim view on carrying inside but I ride the bus/train to work and there is really no way I'm doing that without being armed. The Houston train attracts some very interesting characters. So, I wear the Smart Carry to work and then lock it up in my desk. I have an IWB but my place of employment has armed officers on patrol and the kydex clips of my Tucker would be a dead giveaway to a trained eye if I have a tucked shirt. The place is posted 30.06 and besides, I do need to make some attempt to follow the law...... :coolgleamA: Actually, not all the buildings and not all the doors are posted so I would have a slim good faith argument and the building I office in isn't posted at all.

My carry gun is a Mini Cougar so perhaps with a slimmer/smaller gun it might work better but with money as it is, right now that's the smallest I have.

Drawing with the SC is super easy. Reholstering is a super pain. I have to undo my pants to reholster. I know that some don't need to do that but I never been able to figure that part out. For me, it requires one hand to reach in and open the flap while the pistol is sliding in with the other and I just don't have that kind of room. Plus, with the tight fit, the belt and fabric squeezing against my right hand..... Even with my finger off the trigger, it makes me super nervous to be doing that so no thank you. I'll undo my belt to reholster.

I had to file some of the points off of my pistol as it would definately catch on the fabric when drawing. I even tore a couple holes before I realized I needed to do some filing.

The elastic has weakened somewhat over time but is still quite servicable and the velcro is still as strong as when it was new.

None of the seams have started to fray and only an idiot would use duct tape for anything that touched his body. If they start to fray, find a seamstress (if you weren't lucky enough to marry one) and get it touched up. If they don't like guns or look at you funny, tell them it's to carry a lifesaving device that you desperately need and that this holster is the best way to carry it. :lol::

:txflag: :patriot:
Last edited by TDDude on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

doc540

Post by doc540 »

Update:

The SmartCarry's been getting industrial use with no signs of failure or even significant wear and tear.

I'm so comfortable with it now I just keep it on and wear it around the house. It's become like putting on my belt. :thumbs2:
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

TDDude wrote:None of the seams have started to fray and only an idiot would use duct tape for anything that touched his body.
Hey, I didn't come up with the duct tape, they did!
Q: Can I wear my SmartCarry® holster while riding a bicycle?

A: We've recently been asked this question by several customers and have decided to add this to our frequently asked questions page. The answer is yes, you can ride a bicycle (or motorcycle) while carrying a handgun in a SmartCarry® InvisibleTM holster with no discomfort caused by the holster. In fact, we have a customer in West Palm Beach, FL who is a Police Officer and patrols his beat on a bicycle. He's worn out one SmartCarry® and is on his second holster now. If you ride a bicycle a lot while wearing your SmartCarry®, we suggest you add a piece of 2" wide duct tape (or have a piece of leather sewn in this location) to the bottom lower edge of the strong hand side of the holster to prevent wear caused by the excessive rubbing of your trousers against the outside of the holster as a result of pedalling the bicycle. And riding a motocycle is as easy as it is when you're not wearing the holster. Take a look at what one customer had to say after he wrecked his dirt bike while carrying his Glock 21 in a SmartCarry® holster, or click here to read a much more recent comment from a SmartCarry® user who made a 500 mile trip on his motorcycle while carrying in a SmartCarry®
Q: After wearing my SmartCarry® for several months, I notice some wear at the outside of the lower strong side of the holster. Is there any way I can stop the wear?

A: This wear is caused by the holster rubbing against your clothing, and yes, there is a way you can stop the wear and lengthen the life of your SmartCarry®. The fast and simple way is to put a piece of good quality 2" wide duct tape over the lower edge of the holster where the wear shows, with about 1/2" of the tape folded under and stuck to the back of the holster. Doesn't look good, but since only you or an intimate partner will ever see it, it really doesn't matter what it looks like, and the tape does the job of taking all the wear instead of the denim or duck cloth. Plus when the tape wears out you can replace it in minutes. For a real professional and permanent job, have a thin piece of leather sewn over the lower bottom of the holster, as some of our customers have done.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”