hybrid holsters: crossbreed vs. the rest?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

LAYGO
Posts in topic: 2

Re: hybrid holsters: crossbreed vs. the rest?

Post by LAYGO »

One thing I don't like about the Aliengear holsters is the clips compared to my MTAC. The metal clips can be a PITA to get clipped on to the belt. I'm guessing from their stiffness. I don't have those problems with my MTAC. Slides over easy.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

xb12s
Posts in topic: 1

Post by xb12s »

I recently received and then returned an AlienGear Holster. I wanted to like it. It is priced right and has a lot of great things going for it. (I have others -- Tucker Answer, Crossbreed SuperTuck and MiniTuck, Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC and CTAC). The Aliengear clips were a disappointment (more on that in a minute). The leather is thicker and the kydex is thicker. Both are negatives in my opinion since it adds to the bulk that is tucked inside your waistband. You don't need .093 kydex when .06 or .08 will do the job. You also lose flexibility with the thicker kydex. You can overlook this pretty easily since we are talking about hundreds of an inch with the kydex. But overall though, it seemed like a full tenth of an inch with the thicker leather and kydex. I didn't measure though to compare. I was attracted to the notion of the replaceable kydex shells (a feature also found on the Comp-TAC Minotaur MTAC) and all the adjustability so I gave them a shot. The main complaint however was again, the clips. The clips have a tall stand-off (unlike most of the other brands) that interferes with sliding the holster into your pants. It catches on the stand-off. Also, the distance between the attachment point of the clip to the opening of the clip where the belt slides in is too small. So, just when you get the holster to slip past the bigger than needed spacer it jumps past the clip opening and you have to try again. The other brands have a longer distance between the clip attachment point and the opening of the clip. I spent a lot more time trying to wriggle that thing onto my belt than I do my other holsters. Let me say this though -- if you swapped out the clips for another brands' clips and spacer, I would have probably been happy enough for still a lot less money.

Lionman13

Post by Lionman13 »

I cannot understand why (crossbreed especially) many of these have large unsightly clips. They would stand out like a sore thumb at work. Not really concealed very well.

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

Taurus.40 wrote:When looking into hybrid holsters, always check out White Hat. They're here in TX and are nicer and more comfortable then CB.
:iagree: I love my maxtuck and the interchangeable kydexs. I used the velcro clips and like the stealth when the shirt is tucked in.
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”