hybrid holsters: crossbreed vs. the rest?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
spolct
Posts in topic: 2

hybrid holsters: crossbreed vs. the rest?

Post by spolct »

from what i've seen, crossbreed super tuck is one of the originals or at least seems to be the standard for the hybrid leather/kydex IWB holster. i understand that there's some variation in the clips, and a couple that offer interchangeable kydex, but are there really any significant differences between "the standard" and all the others?

i've never had a CBST, but i've used a horsehide theis holster almost everyday for 2+ years and have liked it just fine. it seems to me that the major differences are price and availability.

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Re: hybrid holsters: crossbreed vs. the rest?

Post by A-R »

Have used CBST and it's a quality holster (especially like the availability of horsehide). But I've since found the Comp Tac Minotaur MUCH more comfortable (smaller overall size, softer more pliable leather) and now use it exclusively.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I would place the Comp-Tac Minotaur ahead of the Crossbreed Supertuck as well.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

Personal opinion here. I DO like on the alien gear how you have some control over retention.
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I have both a Crossbreed Supertuck and a Mini-Tuck and I no longer wear them. I much prefer my Kholsters for their comfort and price. My EDC pistols show no sign of holster wear and I carry every day.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

I am a fan of the Galco King Tuk simply because of the price point and brick and mortar store availability.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Dreamliner

Post by Dreamliner »

Most hybrid holsters are extremely comfortable after the leather forms to your body so the thing to consider is the quality. I'd say Crossbreed and Comp-Tac are the top end and can't go wrong with either if they suit your budget.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I have a crossbreed super tuck. I really like the looks of the Alien Gear. However, I sent them an email asking a question before I order one. It's been two weeks with no response.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

I've had two Crossbreeds, one horsehide and one cowhide, and now I have a horsehide Theis. I haven't noticed any significant difference between the two models. The Theis seems to squeak more, but some sports tape behind the clips fixed that.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Topic author
spolct

Post by spolct »

Jaguar wrote:I've had two Crossbreeds, one horsehide and one cowhide, and now I have a horsehide Theis. I haven't noticed any significant difference between the two models. The Theis seems to squeak more, but some sports tape behind the clips fixed that.
I'm assuming you preferred horsehide to cowhide with your crossbreeds, did you notice a significant difference between the two?

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I own or have owned Crossbreed, K holster, Old Faithful, and Alien Gear. I will be buying Alien Gear from now on. They use extra thick Kydex and extra heavy leather you have a choice of clips or snap straps and adjustable tension. Mine broke in in about three days and it's extremely comfortable.

Speakingof comfort of the four brands I listed the Alien Gear is most comfortable and the Crossbreed is the least comfortable. I'm wearing a Crossbreed with a Glock 17 it's been on all day and my side and thigh are starting to complain about the pressure being exerted on my love handles and right upper thigh while I am seated.

Inside waistband holsters are like shoes, if they don't feel good out of the box they probably won't feel good after break in. Also what is comfortable for one person may be miserable to another. And that is the origin of everyone's holster box! :biggrinjester:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

MoJo wrote:I will be buying Alien Gear from now on.
I like the looks of them but...

Because I am very high-waisted, it is uncomfortable for me as a right-hander to draw from an IWB holster on my right side. It seems to me that to cross-draw with my right hand from my left side could be very comfortable, provided of course that I learn to get my left arm up when I draw and whatnot.

Do you (or anyone) know if AG makes a cross-draw version? I suppose I should go to their website and ask them...

Taurus.40

Post by Taurus.40 »

When looking into hybrid holsters, always check out White Hat. They're here in TX and are nicer and more comfortable then CB.
NRA member

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

I've got a Comp-Tac MTac & an Aliengear. My Comp-Tac is in brown (1st gen) & I love that you can swap the kydex. The one thing about Comp-Tac that stands above all others is the body side doubling of leather, so you have buttery smooth polished leather against your body. See pic to see what I'm talking about:

I think that alone aides in comfort. Almost all other holsters have the roughed up side against your body. Ask yourself this: when you sit on a saddle, what kind of leather are you being exposed to? Polished or rough?

As for my AlienGear, I'm pleased with it. It's comfortable, even with the rough leather on the body side. I also like that you can swap out the kydex shells.

FYI: Swapping kydex shells is something the CBST can NOT do . . . (unless they've updated recently).

Beyond what leather sits on the body, I think an undershirt has made the biggest difference in comfort for me.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

larlev

Post by larlev »

CAM00057.jpg
I own 6 and found firearmholster.com a few months ago. Can be worn IWB or OWB, I bought one for my sr40c and then later for my xdm compact. They are really great holsters. Edges are smooth unlike many stamped holsters. kYdex edges are also smooth, no burrs. Retention is spot on for both guns I have. Smaller than most and for me as a HVAC contractor makes a huge difference with all the moving around I do throughout the day.

Fleece backing with a thin rubber layer does help with sweat. Comfortable right out of the package. I do have a crossbreed and the FH is my favorite out of the ones I own.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”