First Homemade Leather/kydex 'Crossbreed' style holster

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Fedaykin
Posts in topic: 4

First Homemade Leather/kydex 'Crossbreed' style holster

Post by Fedaykin »

Okay so I've been messing around with Kydex and a heatgun. I really love working with this stuff and can think of all kinds of uses for it now that I see how easy it is to work with. I got some leather, waxed leather stiching, a tapestry needle and permission from the wife to hide out in the garage for three nights! Here are the results, what do you guys think?

It's pretty comfortable, although I have to say I like my all kydex FIST holster a little better. The thing I really like about this crossbreed style is that it distributes the weight a little better on your belt. The thing I don't like is that you can definitely feel all that leather up against your skin on a hot day. It's comfortable to wear, but you definitely feel like you're 'wearing' something compared to my FIST Kydex IWB. That little thing just feels like you tucked your pistol in your belt. I will definitely use both holsters depending on how I'm dressed. I think the leather will work wearing 'dress' clothes with an undershirt. The FIST Kydex IWB will before evenings and weekends:

I'm really happy with the way the Kydex formed around the thumb safety to keep it locked:

This leather piece is raw so I might tan it later and i'm thinking of adding a 'combat cut' once its nice and formed to my hip:

Here's my FIST Kydex:
Smith & Wesson M&P .40 compact

3/02/11 - DPS Received packet
3/14/11 - First Status
4/18/11 - Background Green
4/19/11 - Pending Manufacturing
4/20/11 - Manufacturing
4/22/11 - MAILED
4/25/11 - Plastic!! (55 days)

40khammer
Posts in topic: 6

Re: First Homemade Leather/kydex 'Crossbreed' style holster

Post by 40khammer »

Looks like you're off to a good start. One thing I would suggest is using rivets instead of thread. Seems like the threading would be the weak point of your holster. You can buy them at Knifekits.com

They also have some really nice metal clips on knifekits.com too. Here's mine:

Topic author
Fedaykin

Post by Fedaykin »

Thanks man! :tiphat: Yours looks great, looks professional.

The thread is actually waxed leather stitching, it's the same stuff used on pure leather holsters. It's super strong. Although, I'm not really happy with the performance of my holster because the leather I used is too thin so the retention on it stinks. It also rides to hight so I need to lower the clips.

I'm really happy with the kydex portion though, that part turned out exactly as I wanted. I kind of scalloped the top and got a good thumb safety pocket on there. Next time I will use thicker leather and a thicker Kydex. This one was .040" thick, I think I will up it to .060. Right now it crushes a little bit when the gun is unholstered.

Actually the Old Faithful Holster kit is looking pretty good to me http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/. I wish I'd seen that kit before I made this one, but this was a good learning experience.

3/14/11 - First Status
4/20/11 - Manufacturing
4/22/11 - MAILED

40khammer

Post by 40khammer »

I used the .06 Kydex. With the leather try to find 8oz leather. I'm not sure what the 8ounces means, but its plenty thick enough to provide retention and pliable enough to still be comfortable.

Those kits are pretty neat, but I actually make holsters in large quantities to sell so I'd end up spending a fortune on the materials. I buy all my mats from Knifekits.com in bulk.

ac-mech
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ac-mech »

i just finish this for a glock 26...

40khammer

Post by 40khammer »

Where do you guys get your leather from and how much does it cost you per square foot?

I buy mine from knifekits.com I use 8oz leather at 12.95 per sq ft but they don't sell the suede backed leather.

paulhailes
Posts in topic: 1

Post by paulhailes »

How easy is it to mold the Kydex? I wouldn't mind making a holster that could fit my 3.8 XDm with a TLR-3 attached.

40khammer

Post by 40khammer »

paulhailes wrote:How easy is it to mold the Kydex? I wouldn't mind making a holster that could fit my 3.8 XDm with a TLR-3 attached.
You cook it in the oven on 300 degrees for about 4-5 mins then use a foam lined press to mold it. It is possible to do all the molding by hand, but you don't get the little details and whatnot that way.

ac-mech
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ac-mech »

I do.. .060" kydex 300 degrees for 2.5 minutes and press it...

Topic author
Fedaykin

Post by Fedaykin »

paulhailes wrote:How easy is it to mold the Kydex? I wouldn't mind making a holster that could fit my 3.8 XDm with a TLR-3 attached.
It is EXTREMELY easy to work with. I've seen some guys heat it up in the oven but it does give off a plasticy smell and they wife may not like that. I just heat mine up with a heatgun I bought at Autozone. I made a video of another holsters that I modified the Kydex on here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvYQIYQpp58

I find it's much easier to work with the heatgun then trying to rush it from the oven to the workbench. And if you mess it up, you just re-heat it and the image of the gun just fades back out of it in about 30 seconds! You can heat and re-heat until you get it just the way you like it, you don't have to be afraid of messing up the Kydex. Just be a little bit careful not to hold the heatgun in one spot for too long. Just keep waving it around in circles and you'll be fine.

Use a piece of foam to smash down on the kydex on your pistol and get the Kydex to wrap around it the edges. Again, trial and error workred best for me. You can practice a few times without much worry.

I got my leather from Hobby Lobby, it's a bit too thin though. I bought a kit from "Old Faithful Hosters" that should be here next week. I'll post some more pictures once I get it put together.
Last edited by Fedaykin on Mon May 30, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

3/14/11 - First Status
4/20/11 - Manufacturing
4/22/11 - MAILED

Topic author
Fedaykin

Post by Fedaykin »

ac-mech wrote:i just finish this for a glock 26...
That looks sweet! Nice job, you've got plenty of room to move your clips up and down to adjust ride and cant. The kydex looks great! :thumbs2:

3/14/11 - First Status
4/20/11 - Manufacturing
4/22/11 - MAILED

40khammer

Post by 40khammer »

I'm thinking about making a "premium" version of my holsters with some bells and whistles added. I was thinking about using a suede backed leather so the soft side is against the body. Adding adjustable clips so the customer can adjust the cant in any way he feels like it. And also thinking about lining the inside of the kydex with some very very thin suede or felt to prevent holster wear. I think I saw somebody do that on this forum. Any other ideas?

13MWZ

Post by 13MWZ »

One day I'll get all the stuff together and give this a shot, looks like fun and the options are endless! What kind of foam are yall using to form the kydex?

40khammer

Post by 40khammer »

I use an actual Kydex press bought off Knifekits.com, but I've heard of people buying a yoga mat from Walmart and cutting it up. Glue the pieces together and put them between 2 flat surfaces and you have a homemade press.

83v45magna

Post by 83v45magna »

Looks like you and I are definitely on the same page about cant angle. I'm wearing my crossbreed close to it's
adjustment limit.
Great job on that holster!
********************************************************************************************************

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it
slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves. ~D.H. Lawrence

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”