Shoulder Holsters

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
MadMax
Posts in topic: 1

Shoulder Holsters

Post by MadMax »

Hi folks. I'm brand new in the CHL game ( i'm actually playing the waiting game). I really like the shoulder holsters and would like any opinions on the best for carrying. I'm 6'8" so I'm pretty sure "custom size" is going to be my best option. I'm ready to buy a good leather rig and I really like the style that uses your belt as a tie down also.
10/16/10 - CHL Class Taken
10/18/10 - Package mailed to DPS
10/21/10 - Package received by DPS
11/04/10 - Information put in DPS system
11/08/10 - Fingerprints finished
11/12/10 - Background Check updated
11/17/10 - Plastic mailed
11/22/10 - PIH

WildBill

Re: Shoulder Holsters

Post by WildBill »

MadMax wrote:Hi folks. I'm brand new in the CHL game ( i'm actually playing the waiting game). I really like the shoulder holsters and would like any opinions on the best for carrying. I'm 6'8" so I'm pretty sure "custom size" is going to be my best option. I'm ready to buy a good leather rig and I really like the style that uses your belt as a tie down also.
Welcome to the forum MadMax. Maybe you should find out what Dirty Harry wore. :mrgreen:
Try looking into the Galco Miami Classic.
NRA Endowment Member

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I've only used nylon shoulder rigs, so I can't help you with a recommendation, but I definitely like them in cases where I'm wearing an overshirt (with small pistols), coat or jacket. Much easier access when you're driving, especially.

Plus they help hold up my OWB holsters :biggrinjester:
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

fm2

Post by fm2 »

Legends in leahter make a couple of them.
http://www.legendsinleather.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

PRO
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PRO »

I’m 6’2” and I prefer leather shoulder harnesses, however the current trend is for 1” leather support straps. Look on eBay for a Bianchi Scorpio 13A that is made for the weapon you choose to carry. This is a large rig that fits me with plenty of room to spare as I can let it out another 4”. It also has a 3” leather strap over the shoulder/back that helps carry the weight of my 92f.
Phil

It is the little people who will suffer from QE2. The buying power of my mothers retirement will decrease by 40%

Warhammer
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Warhammer »

I'm also interested in what shoulder holsters have worked best for folks here and what features in particular they liked or didn't like. I'm thinking about making a shoulder rig, so I'm hunting for ideas on the details. In particular, what are folks' feelings on rigs with tie-downs versus those without?
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion." - Rogers, Will

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have a Galco Miami Classic II. They offer a standard, and a large harness for this system. Being someone of "generous" proportions, I availed myself of their large harness set. My guess is that if you order that set and let it all the way out, you should have enough room for someone 6'8". In any case, if you phone Galco directly, their customer service people are very knowledgeable and helpful, and if their large harness is not going to be big enough, they will be able to tell you. And if it isn't large enough, they can certainly make you one that will be the right size.

I have chronic and relatively severe back issues, and consequently, I cannot always wear a belt holster - IWB or OWB. I bought the shoulder holster system as an alternative for those days when I want to carry one of my semi-auto pistols but not on my belt. It does work, but it isn't my favorite method of carrying because it requires some kind of cover garment that isn't part of my normal wardrobe. That makes it impractical on really hot days. But it does work as advertised, and that is more than can be said about some holsters.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PRO
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PRO »

Warhammer wrote:I'm also interested in what shoulder holsters have worked best for folks here and what features in particular they liked or didn't like. I'm thinking about making a shoulder rig, so I'm hunting for ideas on the details. In particular, what are folks' feelings on rigs with tie-downs versus those without?
I prefer the tie downs on the mag holder as it offsets the weight of the weapon, however, I dont like the holster side tied down as it tends to poke the barrel out the back when I sit.
Phil

It is the little people who will suffer from QE2. The buying power of my mothers retirement will decrease by 40%

The Annoyed Man

PRO wrote:
Warhammer wrote:I'm also interested in what shoulder holsters have worked best for folks here and what features in particular they liked or didn't like. I'm thinking about making a shoulder rig, so I'm hunting for ideas on the details. In particular, what are folks' feelings on rigs with tie-downs versus those without?
I prefer the tie downs on the mag holder as it offsets the weight of the weapon, however, I dont like the holster side tied down as it tends to poke the barrel out the back when I sit.
I don't bother with tie-downs on either side. We're talking a full sized .45 caliber gun on one side, and two 10 round magazines on the other side. Nothing is going anywhere except hanging straight down.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Warhammer

Post by Warhammer »

I'm thinking that I'll use leather for the harness and either Kydex or a leather/Kydex combo for the holster and mag carrier. I'd like for both the holster and mag carrier to not have snaps for retention, but use fitting and maybe tensions screws instead. So far, I like the design of the Galco Mami Classic II and the Alessi Bodyguard best.
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion." - Rogers, Will

Cosmo 9

Post by Cosmo 9 »

I have one of these http://www.andrewsleather.com/monarch.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you're welcome to take a look at. It's a very nice rig but for the same reasons as TAM I don't get to use it much. I think you may need to use a retention strap though without the holster being held firmly in place a tight fit may be tough to draw.
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

Warhammer

Post by Warhammer »

Cosmo 9 wrote:I have one of these http://www.andrewsleather.com/monarch.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you're welcome to take a look at. It's a very nice rig but for the same reasons as TAM I don't get to use it much. I think you may need to use a retention strap though without the holster being held firmly in place a tight fit may be tough to draw.
I hadn't thought about draw problems without a tie down. Maybe a thumb break isn't that bad after all. The link you posted also shows an option back strap. I might try that method as well.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I've used the Kangaroo cloth shoulder holster, but find no matter how I adjust it the gun works it's way out from under my arm to the front of my chest.

The Annoyed Man

Warhammer wrote:
Cosmo 9 wrote:I have one of these http://www.andrewsleather.com/monarch.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you're welcome to take a look at. It's a very nice rig but for the same reasons as TAM I don't get to use it much. I think you may need to use a retention strap though without the holster being held firmly in place a tight fit may be tough to draw.
I hadn't thought about draw problems without a tie down. Maybe a thumb break isn't that bad after all. The link you posted also shows an option back strap. I might try that method as well.
I've had no problem drawing from the shoulder holster without a tie-down.

THIS THREAD BY FLINTKNAPPER is a must read for anyone who is getting into shoulder holsters for the first time.

That thread was posted in response to THIS THREAD which I posted after having first bought my shoulder holster. I was grateful to both flinknapper and longtooth for their instruction, and it made a difference for me. If you are going to buy a shoulder holster, read both threads before spending the money. I'm not saying not to do it. I'm saying do it with your eyes wide open. It really is a different way of carrying (OWB and IWB are not that different from one another), and it has different requirements than belt carry.

#TINVOWOOT

Warhammer

Post by Warhammer »

That thread gave some really good info, TAM. Thanks!

So far, I've decide to use the shoulder holster kit from Tandy as my starting point. At only $19 (with my Gold Membership) I can't cut my own straps much cheaper, and these are already cut, ends rounded, pre-punched, etc... The shape of the straps is similar to the Miami Classic. I don't like the leather spider that came with the kit (it doesn't allow the straps to swivel freely), so I'm going to make a new one from .06 Kydex. I'll probably leave the leather its natural color, as I think that will stand out less than a darker color. I'm debating on whether to use the hardware from the kit or change it out. The screws are chrome, and I'd prefer black, but it's not really that important. The ring connectors are squared, which I like more than the round ones used on some rigs. The round ones tend to cause the leather straps to bunch up. I'm leaning toward the holster and double mag carrier being all Kydex. I think I'm going to integrate a hook around the back of the slide that will be disengaged by a push from my thumb. This will both secure the gun and aid in drawing without the holster trying to grab the gun. I'm still considering the back strap to help steady everything without the use of tie-downs.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”