List your highest priority issue for 2011

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

What is your highest priority issue for the 2011 session?

Employer parking lots
53%
Campus-carry
28%
Open-carry
8%
Range protection
6%
Other
6%

Total votes: 231

karl
Posts in topic: 1

Re: List your highest priority issue for 2011

Post by karl »

Definitely campus carry for me. Just a couple months back there was an armed robbery in the middle of campus 60 yards from the building I spend my time in. That's not mentioning the countless reported and unreported incidents in the parking lots in the recent past.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by baldeagle »

Oldgringo wrote:I'd really like to see a balanced budget with lower school and property taxes.
There's one in every crowd. :biggrinjester:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

baldeagle wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:I'd really like to see a balanced budget with lower school and property taxes.
There's one in every crowd. :biggrinjester:
Our constitution requires a balanced budget.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

gigag04 wrote:I'm like 51/49 - Campus Carry/EPL

Teamless - IIRC Range Pro refers to legislation protecting existing ranges from new muni ordinances that would put them out of business, esp regarding noise issues. I could be wrong.
I'm equally torn between CC and EPL. They're both extremely important.

Since Charles restricted us to one top choice, I voted with Gigag04, but I really wanted 2 top choices. :???:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I voted for campus carry. I still have problems with the EPL bills and private property rights.

My second choice is range protection, if that means preventing our ranges from being shut down for noise violations or lead contamination. These, combined with mandatory liability insurance regulations will kill our shooting ranges.
Steve Rothstein

terryg

Post by terryg »

I voted parking lot - although if the campus carry bill included private then that would have the greatest impact on me personally. But, I think parking lot would probably serve to benefit the most Texans. :txflag:
... this space intentionally left blank ...

terryg

Post by terryg »

Nice OG. :thumbs2:
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Shasta

Post by Shasta »

My 21 year old lives at UH and is about to move to the Medical Center area. Those areas of town certainly haven't gotten any BETTER than when I was there almost 30 years ago. Although they practice personal safety and awareness to the greatest extent possible, I worry a lot about my boys and even more about my son's girlfriend. She has no choice but to take a couple of late afternoon classes. This time of year, it's awful dark around campus after those classes.

My husband and I are fortunate to own our own business. Although several of our clients have properly posted buildings, I've never been presented with anything by any client asking contractors/vendors not to carry in the parking lot.

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

Employer parking lot legislation won't do a thing for me at job #1, the penalties will remain (it would only help if there were a lockup facility required to be available at the gate, as there was years ago).

However, campus carry would be a huge improvement in my situation for jobs #2 and #3! Also, I think it would help educate those who seem most against CC, when they find that the campuses won't erupt with gunfire (as much as now, anyway)!
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I am about evenly split between parking lot and range protection. Although my company's policy prohibits parking lot carry, local management is not aware of that. This is from a conversation where the parking lot issue was raised by someone other than me and the management response indicated no knowledge, one of our managers even thought that the land didn't belong to the company and that there could be no such rule applied - I did not disabuse her of that.

Having lost a great range due to the actions of the city of McKinney, I feel strongly about range protection and could easily place that ahead of parking lots.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

ou20081

Post by ou20081 »

EPL for me. Dallas is no place to be 'alone'.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flintknapper »

terryg wrote:I voted parking lot - although if the campus carry bill included private then that would have the greatest impact on me personally. But, I think parking lot would probably serve to benefit the most Texans. :txflag:
Perhaps, but I wonder if any version that might pass would be so restrictive or ammended that it would cause a new set of problems for those that carry.

I.E. a requirement to park in a designated area (or a... come steal from me, lot). This would also have the effect of "outing" the CHLer. An anti-gun (or vindictive) employer....would immediately know who to fire. Texas is a Hire at Will State and while the employer could not fire you specifically for storing a weapon in your vehicle, they CAN fire you for any other reason (or no reason at all). They just need know who those people are, right?

The bill must be written carefully...and NOT passed in any "neutered" fashion.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPB »

OldSchool wrote:Employer parking lot legislation won't do a thing for me at job #1, the penalties will remain (it would only help if there were a lockup facility required to be available at the gate, as there was years ago).

However, campus carry would be a huge improvement in my situation for jobs #2 and #3! Also, I think it would help educate those who seem most against CC, when they find that the campuses won't erupt with gunfire (as much as now, anyway)!
:iagree: and that education for the younger crowd may carry over into other areas, when they become employed and/or own/manage businesses
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

Voted Range protection.

Although EPL is very important to me, I spend too much time at the range to even imagine that it could be shut down like many small airports, that were "out in the country" until the suburbs spread out, were.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I voted Campus Carry.

One reason is because I am a HS teacher. Now I know the bill is for college campuses but I see this as the foot-in-the-door to allowing carry at all schools eventually.

I think EPL is an easier sell.

Both of these are important issues.

Of course theres always the anywhere-LEOs-can-carry dream

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”