7-28-15 Flower Mound Home Invasion

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

7-28-15 Flower Mound Home Invasion

Post by Greybeard »

This one is close to home, even closer for a couple of my friends. I'm biting my tongue on some of this just now, trying not to be too much of a typical Monday Morning Quarterback. Maybe the FloMo Popo have more "insight" than some of us can follow. Am glad to hear it turned out as well as it did ... http://www.crosstimbersgazette.com/2015 ... -intruder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 7-28-15 Flower Mound Home Invasion

Post by MechAg94 »

She makes a point to say she couldn't carry a gun, but she clearly says she spotted the guy with his back turned toward her. She could easily have retreated to the bedroom, woke up her husband, and retreived a gun or other weapon. Called 911 also. I appreciate the willingness to go after the guy and get him out of your house, but it seems to me there are better tactics as the guy could have been better prepared with more dangerous weapons himself.

Also, that back door might look real nice, but it obviously didn't hold up well when the guy was trying to get back in.

Her point about locking the doors and such are good.

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

When a holster won't fit under your nightie, the shotgun will fit well in your hands.

There's nothing like 6 rounds of Federal #1 buckshot to take the crazy out of an unwelcome visitor.

That is one very lucky woman. You can bet the next time the perp does that, he will bring a weapon, and the person who confronts him better have a gun.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

MechAg94 wrote:She makes a point to say she couldn't carry a gun, but she clearly says she spotted the guy with his back turned toward her. She could easily have retreated to the bedroom, woke up her husband, and retreived a gun or other weapon. Called 911 also. I appreciate the willingness to go after the guy and get him out of your house, but it seems to me there are better tactics as the guy could have been better prepared with more dangerous weapons himself.

Also, that back door might look real nice, but it obviously didn't hold up well when the guy was trying to get back in.

Her point about locking the doors and such are good.
I quickly scanned through the article and I believe I remember her stating that he was between her and her children.
Now, I don't know about everyone, but there is no way I'm putting distance between myself and anyone who might harm my children. As stated before, if someone breaks in at 2:30 in the morning, they're not there for tea.

Yes she could have retreated, but if anything had happened to her children, her anguish and guilt may have been more than she could bear. I'm not going to second guess her motives at this point - I'm glad she's basically OK.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

....." the door is fixed and baseball bats are strategically placed all over the house."

Nothing like giving the next intruder plenty of weapons to access.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

LabRat makes a good point. If an intruder is between me and my kids, that is the first thing that must be corrected. In this lady's case that mentality over-rode every other consideration. She exhibited a great mindset, good instinctual action and execution, but maybe fell short in planning. Indeed she was fortunate that the intruder was no more prepared for interpersonal conflict than she was. That isn't something I'd count on, though.

It's interesting that the lady mentions guns (and not necessarily in a negative way) but then goes on to state that they have placed baseball bats in different locations in the house. A bludgeon that you know about but the intruder doesn't may be all that is needed, but it requires very close proximity to wield -- proximity that may introduce significant risks. My preference would be for a force option that works at greater than arms length. Of course, I have a habit of carrying around the house...
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Crazy dies just like anyone else when shot in the right place with the right load multiple times. Might be more than one crazy person here with a bottle of rum but I wasn't there fighting the Jason masked hoodie wearing boogieman of all our late night TV nightmares. Apparently Hubby just watched his nightie wearing wife fight the guy all the way out the front door so I'm guessing his manhood was still sleeping. Glad the family is safe and I hope they catch the guy.

This is a preposterous statement:

"For those of you that are going to tell me to get a gun...even the police said that it wouldn’t have mattered in this situation. The guy was crazy."
III

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

"Motion "censored" lights"????

And the cops tell her that a gun wouldn't have made a difference because he was crazy? I think if he was on the floor full of holes it would not matter how crazy he was.

As far as hubby just standing there watching, we have no idea what he was doing, but the whole incident probably only lasted seconds so maybe he didn't really have time to be more reactive, or maybe he, like me, knows that when the bride is in berserker mode, you stay out of the way.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

rbwhatever1 wrote:Crazy dies just like anyone else when shot in the right place with the right load multiple times. Might be more than one crazy person here with a bottle of rum but I wasn't there fighting the Jason masked hoodie wearing boogieman of all our late night TV nightmares. Apparently Hubby just watched his nightie wearing wife fight the guy all the way out the front door so I'm guessing his manhood was still sleeping. Glad the family is safe and I hope they catch the guy.

This is a preposterous statement:

"For those of you that are going to tell me to get a gun...even the police said that it wouldn’t have mattered in this situation. The guy was crazy."
Sounds like the cops were making an argument for why THEY shouldn't carry guns, since a lot of criminals are crazy, and well, guns apparently don't work against crazy.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

jimlongley wrote:"Motion "censored" lights"????

And the cops tell her that a gun wouldn't have made a difference because he was crazy? I think if he was on the floor full of holes it would not matter how crazy he was.

As far as hubby just standing there watching, we have no idea what he was doing, but the whole incident probably only lasted seconds so maybe he didn't really have time to be more reactive, or maybe he, like me, knows that when the bride is in berserker mode, you stay out of the way.
:iagree:

Before finding the intruder she had no reason to be carrying a gun at that time. Then after realizing there was an intruder and that he was between her and her boys retreating to her room to get a gun even if they had one might have given the intruder enough time to get to the kids. Mama bear went into attack mode!

If they had a gun and hubby came out with it is one of the scenarios we talk about around here every now and then. If you don't practice and aren't confident in your ability or even if you are, to take a shot under those circumstances that is a tough decision to make.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Whowuzzit said "The most dangerous place in the world is between a mama and her children!"
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

I'm still trying to figure out the "I think I'll run a few sprinkler zones at 0230" and "I was still in my nightie" angle...

As far as door locking, I'm pretty obsessive about it. It drives my wife crazy (especially when she's outside!!!).

This is a wierd story but a good reminder of some things to be cautious of...

Thanks for sharing it...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

RJGold wrote:I'm still trying to figure out the "I think I'll run a few sprinkler zones at 0230" and "I was still in my nightie" angle...

As far as door locking, I'm pretty obsessive about it. It drives my wife crazy (especially when she's outside!!!).

Thanks for sharing it...
It sounds like they have a sprinkler system that runs when they are not home or normally asleep. She was restless and couldn't sleep and decided to run a couple of zones on the sprinklers to see if the brown spots in their yard weren't getting any coverage from the sprinklers. Nothing too unusual there.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

C-dub wrote:
RJGold wrote:I'm still trying to figure out the "I think I'll run a few sprinkler zones at 0230" and "I was still in my nightie" angle...

Thanks for sharing it...
It sounds like they have a sprinkler system that runs when they are not home or normally asleep. She was restless and couldn't sleep and decided to run a couple of zones on the sprinklers to see if the brown spots in their yard weren't getting any coverage from the sprinklers. Nothing too unusual there.
Got that part... done it many times myself (although not at 0230)...

I've never done it in my night clothes...

I'm not judging, just makes the story a little strange to me...

In all seriousness, I think the number of times prowlers (or would be intruders) walk up to doors and try them is much higher than we know. I believe that locked doors are the first line of defense. Doesn't mean they'll stop all intruders but will certainly stop a number of them...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

RJGold wrote:
C-dub wrote:

Thanks for sharing it...
Got that part... done it many times myself (although not at 0230)...

I've never done it in my night clothes...

I'm not judging, just makes the story a little strange to me...

In all seriousness, I think the number of times prowlers (or would be intruders) walk up to doors and try them is much higher than we know. I believe that locked doors are the first line of defense. Doesn't mean they'll stop all intruders but will certainly stop a number of them...
I think having an intruder in one's home is a little strange. However, the stranger part of this story to me is that once he was forced outside he forced his way back in.

I have a friend that once told me he kept a handgun next to his bed, but didn't keep a round in the chamber. His theory was that if there was an intruder and he heard the sound of him racking the slide it would be like a warning and might scare the intruder off. I told him then that my locked door was the last warning an intruder will get. I, too, am also obsessive about locking all doors and windows before going to bed.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”