'doing target practice', man injures neighbor kid

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
spolct
Posts in topic: 4

'doing target practice', man injures neighbor kid

Post by spolct »

i know exactly where this is, and the yards are decent sized mostly due to the small house sizes, but nothing even close to target practice size. doesn't pass my sniff test (that he was 'just' target shooting), but either way the dude is in jail. i also think the phrase 'doing target practice' is a bit wonky, but it seems that there is generally little to no editing of online news stories on that site.
Cristian Manzano, 20, was doing target practice in a yard in the 400 block of West Yarmouth Street when one of the bullets went through a kitchen window next door, striking the child, police spokesman Lt. Max Geron said.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/D ... 44461.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 'doing target practice', man injures neighbor kid

Post by philip964 »

Judge: please sentence him to jail for a long time.

txnative1951
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txnative1951 »

If he can't grow a better mustache and beard that that, he *deserves* to be in jail. :)

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

There are several experimental cures for "stupid" on the market. So far, Zyklon B has proven to be the most effective.
Last edited by Oldgringo on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

HKMike

Post by HKMike »

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"According to records, Manzano has previously been arrested for possession of a controlled substance, marijuana possession and possession of a prohibited weapon." Surprised to read he has a criminal history. (sarcasm meter pegged at 10)

Topic author
spolct
Posts in topic: 4

Post by spolct »

article was updated, and wonkiness removed. the police spokesperson's statement now says:
Cristian Manzano, 20, was firing a weapon in a yard in the 400 block of West Yarmouth Street when one of the bullets went through a kitchen window next door, striking the child, police spokesman Lt. Max Geron said.

i'm now a bit bothered that the article makes it seem like guy with a history of drug and weapon related arrests doing a little target shooting in his backyard in a heavily populated area of oak cliff is fairly normal. maybe its just how i read it.
DALLAS — A nine-year-old girl was fighting for her life Saturday night after Dallas police said a neighbor's target practice went horribly wrong.

still not really buying the guy's target practice story.

eta: relevant quotes

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

I'm trying to figure out the likelyhood that I would be free in my backyard with a gun if I had the criminal history this guy has. I doubt that I would.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Why this gangbanger is out of his cage? Sending him to Arizona to be rehabilitated under the tent.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

philip964 wrote:Judge: please sentence him to jail for a long time.
:iagree: I am thankful that he didn't kill the girl. No more "second chances" for this guy.
NRA Endowment Member

txnative1951

Post by txnative1951 »

HKMike wrote:http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com
"According to records, Manzano has previously been arrested for possession of a controlled substance, marijuana possession and possession of a prohibited weapon." Surprised to read he has a criminal history. (sarcasm meter pegged at 10)
Here's as better link for you:

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2014/03 ... tion.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The "prohibited weapon" charge is curious though. It could mean a lot of things.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sec. 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(1) an explosive weapon;
(2) a machine gun;
(3) a short-barrel firearm;
(4) a firearm silencer;
(5) a switchblade knife;
(6) knuckles;
(7) armor-piercing ammunition;
(8) a chemical dispensing device;
(9) a zip gun; or
(10) a tire deflation device.
I'm thinking more likely a switchblade knife or knuckes.

On a side note, what I find interesting is the "tire deflation device" being listed. That sounds rather broad. Surely they aren't talking about something like this:

But from the wording of the statute, it would seem that basically many tire repair kits would contain a "prohibited weapon".

Ooops... A bit more reading on that page and it seems that they are talking about things like "spike strips" that the police use. Still, it seems like an odd thing to classify as a "prohibited weapon".

Also, they define "zip gun" as "a device or combination of devices that was not originally a firearm and is adapted to expel a projectile through a smooth-bore or rifled-bore barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance". That seems a bit broad in my opinion and could actually be used to hinder people hobbyists who might try designing their own firearms.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

txnative1951 wrote: Also, they define "zip gun" as "a device or combination of devices that was not originally a firearm and is adapted to expel a projectile through a smooth-bore or rifled-bore barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance". That seems a bit broad in my opinion and could actually be used to hinder people hobbyists who might try designing their own firearms.
Back in the '70s I can remember one of the neighbor kids making a marble gun out of galvanized pipe and a firecracker. It was pretty potent. Guess that would be a big no no now.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

This neighborhood is obviously conditioned to the sound of gunfire if it was no big deal and he was never reported or told to stop by his fellow neighbors. He's definitely a moron and possibly living in a neighborhood full of other morons. Hope the girl is okay.
III

FL450

Post by FL450 »

jmra wrote:
txnative1951 wrote: Also, they define "zip gun" as "a device or combination of devices that was not originally a firearm and is adapted to expel a projectile through a smooth-bore or rifled-bore barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance". That seems a bit broad in my opinion and could actually be used to hinder people hobbyists who might try designing their own firearms.
Back in the '70s I can remember one of the neighbor kids making a marble gun out of galvanized pipe and a firecracker. It was pretty potent. Guess that would be a big no no now.
So I guess potatoe cannons are out
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

FL450 wrote:
jmra wrote:
So I guess potatoe cannons are out
Use to love playing with spud guns.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

rbwhatever1 wrote:This neighborhood is obviously conditioned to the sound of gunfire if it was no big deal and he was never reported or told to stop by his fellow neighbors. He's definitely a moron and possibly living in a neighborhood full of other morons. Hope the girl is okay.
Who's to say it wasn't the first time he was doing this and before they could even make a call he had shot through the window? I doubt the neighbors would have allowed it to have gone on before and not reported it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “The Crime Blotter”