ATV riders in Richmond shoot dog

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 6

ATV riders in Richmond shoot dog

Post by rp_photo »

A sad but excellent example of why we need to carry at all times and be alert whenever people with unknown intentions approach:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=9378280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm fairly confident that if the dog owner had been carrying and stopped the threat as allowed under Texas law, it would have been a good shoot, and in IMHO, the ATV riders would have deserved it.

Even if the dog had somehow menaced them, they had the advantage of being on a vehicle that could easily get away. And the fact that they intentionally approached the dog afterwards makes this a revenge act, not unlike chasing and shooting a fleeing human criminal.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Re: ATV riders in Richmond shoot dog

Post by jmra »

They won't stop with dogs. At some point if they are not stopped it will escalate to people.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

GlockDude26
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GlockDude26 »

they have no idea how much time, money, and love that goes into our pets. ecspecially assuming the lab was hunting dog. there's a special place in way down south for those two punks..... :mad5
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by rp_photo »

They also did a disservice to other ATV riders, a group already unpopular with some and will now be scrutinized even more.

I live close to that area and am out in similar country often. Should an ATV approach me, I will be at a higher alert color than I might have been before.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If the dog owner is correct, and I have no reason to believe he is not, then this "thug" (COPS know what I want to say) is far more dangerous than it may appear on the surface. He shot a dog knowing the owner could well have been armed. I suspect the thug would not have allowed himself to be shot by the dog owner, so he did something he knew could easily resulted in a gunfight. I'm also pretty confident he was carrying unlawfully since it is highly unlikely that a CHL would have done something like that.

Longtooth is right -- 24/7.

Chas.

howdy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by howdy »

I just don't understand this type of meanness. Did these guys get up that morning and say, "Lets go out and murder some guys beautiful dog". Did they really intend to shoot the man and instead just shot the dog. This is a very sick mind that gets a thrill out of doing this. They WILL escalate to people.

If it happened to me, it would be like the Gunny said in the Glock commercials..."Somebody picked the wrong dog to shoot"
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Oldgringo »

Yes, I would definitely being in favor of hanging the scum that did this....publicly.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 20

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

:mad5

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

george wrote:Hate to see this,

but, dog was not restrained, and on someone else's property.
So by your comments you think this was justified?

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

It reminds me of this story about some punks that shot the Lone Survivor author's dog that I just happened to catch while browsing around on YT:

[youtube][/youtube]
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

george wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

Anygunanywhere

Of course not, unless the dog had been killing his livestock, of something like that.

The point is, the dog was on someone else's property, and not under the control of the owner. There is some blame there.
Nope. No blame on the owner. The thugs killed the dog for no reason.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

george wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

Anygunanywhere

Of course not, unless the dog had been killing his livestock, of something like that.

The point is, the dog was on someone else's property, and not under the control of the owner. There is some blame there.
Not sure I agree.

There's not enough information in the report I read to tell if the property was private or public. If the property was public and in an area where leash laws don't exist (or apply), no law was broken by the dog owner.

I often work my dog in an area of levees and / or high line right of ways. It would be very difficult to work with her on a leash (i.e. long retrieves). My dog is well trained and well behaved. If I see someone else in the area I call he back to me and we wait until they clear the area. I actually stopped working with her in one city park lake because a lady who was walking there was upset that I was breaking the leash law in our town.

Unless the dog attacked the ATV riders, there is no way this was justified. I also can't find anything that says the dog owner has any blame here either.

My two cents.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 12

Post by EEllis »

I've got to say just because you carry a hammer it doesn't make everything a nail. There reportedly was no warning of the shooting and afterward you can't legally do anything. This at most was a misdemeanor crime so, no, shooting the ATV rider would not be ok. I also doubt, if the ATV rider is ever found, that his story will be anything like this one. His story will be attacked by a wild dog as owner watched and did nothing. Who is closer to the truth I don't know but the original story seem strange at best.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”