Texas Rep. Armando Martinez shot in head, in stable condition

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Texas Rep. Armando Martinez shot in head, in stable condition

Post by Jusme »

Never let a tragedy go without politicizing it. He is now proposing legislation to prohibit celebratory gun fire.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/01/02 ... ebratory-/

Of course we already have laws that do that but why not get some mileage out of being shot in the head?
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

Martinez said that there were a lot of people in the area celebrating the start of the new year by firing guns in the air before he was hit.

“I think that’s something that definitely needs to change.” Martinez said. “Growing up, we grew up around guns. You know, I have a (concealed handgun license). I’m a hunter. But everybody knows better than to get a gun and fire it up in the air because what goes up must come down.”
How about a new law mandating firearms safety be taught in schools? And not a curriculum devised by Moms Demand Something or Other.

Obviously Mr. Martinez "everyone knows better" is not true. Perhaps EDUCATION rather than indoctrination would be a better approach.

Besides, you can't legislate away stupidity.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

bblhd672 wrote:
Martinez said that there were a lot of people in the area celebrating the start of the new year by firing guns in the air before he was hit.

“I think that’s something that definitely needs to change.” Martinez said. “Growing up, we grew up around guns. You know, I have a (concealed handgun license). I’m a hunter. But everybody knows better than to get a gun and fire it up in the air because what goes up must come down.”
How about a new law mandating firearms safety be taught in schools? And not a curriculum devised by Moms Demand Something or Other.

Obviously Mr. Martinez "everyone knows better" is not true. Perhaps EDUCATION rather than indoctrination would be a better approach.

Besides, you can't legislate away stupidity.

Exactly, not only is would a new law be redundant, it would be no easier to enforce that the existing laws. His "everybody knows" approach is ridiculous. I think "everybody knows" it's wrong to rob liquor stores, but those who think they won't get caught will do it anyway. He probably should wait for the swelling to go down before he makes any more public statements. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

The real tragedy may be coming. I've heard it is not uncommon for brain trauma to manifest with seizures some weeks or months after an injury.

I hate to voice political concerns over an individual's trouble, but as the legislative season opens he could be back in a hospital with life changing difficulties.

I pray for Martinez' full recovery. I also pray our rights do not fall.

Put another way, I've had relatives killed in traffic accidents where alcohol was a factor. Forgive me, but that gives me no desire to further regulate either alcohol or automobiles.

Punish crime, celebrate freedom - but never with irresponsible use of guns.

At least Martinez has his LTC.

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bmwrdr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:...
As far as I'm concerned, anyone shooting a gun into the air anywhere near or in a populated area, for any reason other than legitimate defense of self and/or property, ought to have their 2nd Amendment rights infringed for some period of time, even if nobody gets hurt. This is just my opinion, nothing more. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that rights come with responsibilities; but on a moral plane, any sane person knows that they certainly do.
:iagree: Agreed, a) it is a uncontrolled shot and b) no reason to fire a hot round on new years eve, a dummy round or firecracker would be appropriate for the purpose.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Did this happen in a county that voted for Clinton?
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

tbrown wrote:Did this happen in a county that voted for Clinton?
Yep. Hidalgo County voted 2.44-to-1 for Clinton. Of all Texas counties with more than 100,000 votes cast, only El Paso had a larger margin going Hillary's way at 2.67-to-1.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”