Mass Shooting in Connecticut-THREAD NAME CHANGE

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 1

Re: One child reportedly dead after gunman opened fire

Post by MadMonkey »

barstoolguru wrote: Me; personally I blame the video game that teach the kids it’s OK to kill or maim hundreds of people at a time
I'm assuming you're not a gamer... correct?

People often tend to blame things they don't understand. I have played hundreds of games since I was a kid, and a huge number of those had me shooting SOMEONE. I think I turned out alright.... and there are hundreds of thousands of other adults who had the same outcome.

I HAVE seen kids who were literally frightening to watch play the same games, however. The ones who you can tell are playing BECAUSE they get to kill people.

Is that the game's fault? No.

You can't put a simple label onto the cause of something like this. It's no more a game's fault that it is a gun's fault or the fault of the school for being there.

Games have gotten almost as bad of a rap as guns have in the past 20 years.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

rp_photo
Posts in topic: 8

Post by rp_photo »

JP171 wrote:yea he was affected, he now has carte blanch to begin that gun ban crusade, those were tears of joy, also he was flying that bird real well during the wiping off of said tears, ask any body language expert he was telling the american public he couldn't care less about what happened, just that now he has a way to further his antigun agenda.
Amen!
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 14

Post by RPB »

MadMonkey wrote:
barstoolguru wrote: Me; personally I blame the video game that teach the kids it’s OK to kill or maim hundreds of people at a time
I'm assuming you're not a gamer... correct?

People often tend to blame things they don't understand. I have played hundreds of games since I was a kid, and a huge number of those had me shooting SOMEONE. I think I turned out alright.... and there are hundreds of thousands of other adults who had the same outcome.

I HAVE seen kids who were literally frightening to watch play the same games, however. The ones who you can tell are playing BECAUSE they get to kill people.

Is that the game's fault? No.

You can't put a simple label onto the cause of something like this. It's no more a game's fault that it is a gun's fault or the fault of the school for being there.

Games have gotten almost as bad of a rap as guns have in the past 20 years.
a game he saw caused it
violent cartoons he saw caused it
a TV show he saw caused it
A movie the guy saw one time caused it
(these have also all been blamed in the past; before computer games existed)

Summary:
parents not putting blinders on kids like horses wear caused it

shies : 3rd person singular present, plural of shy
Verb

(esp. of a horse) Start suddenly aside in fright at an object, noise, or movement.
oh ... it had to be the gun/knife/black clothing/grenade launcher/fertilizer used in a bomb/natural gas pipe/car/match heads/gasoline/butane-propane tank/ inanimate object that caused it... if we did away with those things ...I guess we'd walk instead of drive and be colder and have dead grass for fueling wildfires and less protected and feeeeel safer
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
jayinsat
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Mass Shooting in Connecticut-THREAD NAME CHANGE

Post by jayinsat »

Although the left will launch a full assault on gun rights and many of you have blamed movies, games etc, I believe all those reasons miss the mark. Nothing like this happened before God, and more specifically, the fear of The Lord was banned from society and our schools. Our kids are not allowed to pray, Jesus name can't be mentioned and God, we are told, is just a fairy tell. Even Christmas is forbidden. It's X-mas so we don't offend.

Without a moral fiber, humanity will rapidly devolve into its most base form. We are clearly seeing this. Our moral foundation was built upon the 10 commandments and we've shattered that. Why wouldn't we expect evil to reign?

Who's offended now?
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

KVUE Austin just interviewed Dr Hupp, Luby's mass shooting survivor (former Representative) regarding this incident
"why treat teachers as second class citizens disallowing them to protect my children when most everyone else in the State can carry?"
or something like that

http://www.kvue.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interestingly, many of these mass shooters have a commonality ... Connecticut shooting suspect was honors student
I'm no lawyer

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Victim of Central Texas Luby's shooting discusses gun rights, CT shooting

Posted on December 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Updated yesterday at 7:21 PM

It's almost impossible to beleive {SIC} that a mass shooting could happen at an elementary school. Friday's shooting has shaken many, and renews the critical debate over gun control.
http://www.kvue.com/video?id=183582241&sec=551407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by RPB on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CoffeeNut »

Blaming a video game is just as senseless as blaming the gun. The kid had some mental issues and anger issues. No sane person plays a video game and then decides that it is OK to massacre innocents. I've played quite a few and now carry a firearm on my hip yet I have no desire to unload on children or anyone else for that matter. Blame whatever you want but in this case it was a lot more about mental health than it was about firearms and games.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

TexasGal wrote:The guns used have been confirmed to have been legally purchased and registered to the shooter's mother. I have not heard if he also got the vest from her house. Were they in a safe and he got the combination or were they not secured? I am sure this will be the subject of further discussion in the days ahead. One report was given of a former neighbor who said Adam had Asperger's and OCD. She also reported the mom was a good mom, but very restrictive and Adam was sometimes rebellious against that.
I question if it really was a bullet proof vest, or just a tactical vest. We find a lot of these are reported originally as body armour when in reality they aren't.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Ericstac
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ericstac »

Keith B wrote:
TexasGal wrote:The guns used have been confirmed to have been legally purchased and registered to the shooter's mother. I have not heard if he also got the vest from her house. Were they in a safe and he got the combination or were they not secured? I am sure this will be the subject of further discussion in the days ahead. One report was given of a former neighbor who said Adam had Asperger's and OCD. She also reported the mom was a good mom, but very restrictive and Adam was sometimes rebellious against that.
I question if it really was a bullet proof vest, or just a tactical vest. We find a lot of these are reported originally as body armour when in reality they aren't.

Right. Why would someone wear a bullet proof vest to a murder suicide? I'm sure it was just a tactical vest that served no purpose.

benenglishtx

Post by benenglishtx »

RPB wrote:a game he saw caused it
violent cartoons he saw caused it
a TV show he saw caused it
A movie the guy saw one time caused it
(these have also all been blamed in the past; before computer games existed)
Maybe comic books caused it. Back in the 1950s, there were congressional hearings and much public furor over the way comic books were turning our youth into social deviants. A big-selling book ("The Seduction of the Innocent") was at the center of the controversy.

I said that to say this: Over all recorded history, human behavior has (within broad parameters) remained consistent. When something bad happens, there's a natural tendency to want to blame some *thing*, as in a "thing" that can be easily identified and dealt with. People don't like to deal with the bigger issues that are embedded in the human condition - the existence of evil, of insanity, of sociopathy. Those are *hard* problems and it's so much easier to look for easy solutions.

I don't really blame gun-banners any more than I blame the folks who earnestly pleaded that the rise in flapper culture in the 1920s (or rap culture in the 1980s) would destroy civilization. Mostly (except for a few leaders who are willing to leverage tragedy to destroy human rights and consolidate the state- and corporate-run power structures they control) their hearts are in the right place; they want to help. They just don't think things through far enough or logically enough to realize that legislating against *things* does nothing to change what's in the human heart.
NRA - Golden Eagle; Certified Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer
Life Member - TSRA, GSSF, IHMSA, NRA Whittington Center

A-R

Post by A-R »

Worst American school massacre of all time happened ...

BEFORE "assault weapons" or "high-capacity" handguns
BEFORE video games
BEFORE God was "removed" from society
BEFORE economic collapse
BEFORE urbanization
BEFORE wide-spread single-parent child-rearing
BEFORE violent movies/TV
BEFORE the NRA-ILA
BEFORE gun-free zones
BEFORE the Internet
BEFORE conservative/liberal TV punditry

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

CoffeeNut wrote:Blaming a video game is just as senseless as blaming the gun. The kid had some mental issues and anger issues. No sane person plays a video game and then decides that it is OK to massacre innocents. I've played quite a few and now carry a firearm on my hip yet I have no desire to unload on children or anyone else for that matter. Blame whatever you want but in this case it was a lot more about mental health than it was about firearms and games.

Your right; it is about mental health BUT it’s also about the environment and something has to put the ideas into a mentally ill person. We are taught by our surroundings and things that affect us. No one wakes up and says I think I will go shoot up a school or mall, no they learn these things through games like grand theft auto and mortal combat. When playing these games it gets you adrenaline up and it starts to change the way they see life. If you’re raised in the ghetto most likely you'll never rise above that level and if you’re raised in an affluent house then most likely you'll be an achiever. We didn't have bussing and section 8 housing in a well off neighborhoods for no reason. And to back up my point here is a link:
Researchers at the Indiana University School of Medicine say that brain scans of kids who played a violent video game showed an increase in emotional arousal – and a corresponding decrease of activity in brain areas involved in self-control, inhibition and attention.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16099971/ns ... ggressive/
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

benenglishtx

Post by benenglishtx »

A-R wrote:Worst American school massacre of all time happened ...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You correctly specified "school massacre". Thanks for that. The wiki page you pointed to, however, needs editing. It says that Bath, with 38 victims, was the "fourth-deadliest massacre in U.S. history, behind the Oklahoma City bombing, the Mountain Meadows massacre and 9/11." That's clearly wrong. Offhand, the Happy Land arson murder comes to mind as having more victims. In that case, 87 people died. The killer used less than a gallon of gasoline and a couple of matches.

This is germane. Why?

Note the use of language in the media. They now refer to "mass shootings" instead of "mass murders". If they referred to "mass murders", they'd have to include Happy Land, 9/11, and a bunch of other killings. Yesterday's shooting would fall way down on the list and people would then be reminded that crazy people can find ways to kill lots of people at one time WITHOUT using guns. The nicely-alliterative phrase "mass murder" that was once common and is exactly the sort of wording that a good writer or newsreader *should* use is abandoned in favor of the more cumbersome "mass shooting" solely, in my opinion, because many folks in the media will use any excuse to push focus away from the tragedy of the loss of life and toward, however subtly, pushing a gun-control agenda.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid.
NRA - Golden Eagle; Certified Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer
Life Member - TSRA, GSSF, IHMSA, NRA Whittington Center

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

As I was flipping through the tv channels last night, Piers Morgan was literally screaming his anti gun vile. He had three guests, two anti-gun and one pro-gun. Piers and his two anti-gun guests were shouting over one another and the pro-gun guy didn't stand a chance.

This morning someone posted a u-tube video of Obama's press conference yesterday, claiming that Obama's wiping away tears was fake.

It's started folks, and I'm afraid the legal gun owners of America are in for a rough time in the coming days, weeks and months.

I'm sure that this mass massacre of children will be the straw to break the camel's back.... the only question I have is will there be a grandfather clause for already owned weapons?

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

jayinsat wrote:Although the left will launch a full assault on gun rights and many of you have blamed movies, games etc, I believe all those reasons miss the mark. Nothing like this happened before God, and more specifically, the fear of The Lord was banned from society and our schools. Our kids are not allowed to pray, Jesus name can't be mentioned and God, we are told, is just a fairy tell. Even Christmas is forbidden. It's X-mas so we don't offend.

Without a moral fiber, humanity will rapidly devolve into its most base form. We are clearly seeing this. Our moral foundation was built upon the 10 commandments and we've shattered that. Why wouldn't we expect evil to reign?

Who's offended now?
Amen, brother! And I'll tell ya what. I may get fired for it someday, but my middle school choirs still put on a CHRISTMAS concert,and my students know I pray for them daily because I tell them so. We can never apologize for our faith.
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

Return to “The Crime Blotter”