ANOTHER MASS SHOOTING - Sikh Temple in WI

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

ClarkLZeuss
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ANOTHER MASS SHOOTING - Sikh Temple in WI

Post by ClarkLZeuss »

WildBill wrote:
philip964 wrote:The conservative radio talk show host and author, Michael Savage, does not have a way for me to email him my frustration with him and the bone headed things he says.

...Today he suggested that churches needed to hire armed security guards if they no longer felt safe.

...How could he considering where he has lived, so he can not imagine that a devout religious person could actually legally conceal carry a gun into their place of worship and protect everyone who is there.
Michael Savage has stated numerous times on his radio show that he supports the 2nd Amendment and that he has a Concealed Carry Permit, which is very difficult to get in Marin County where he lives. He also stated that he advised some church leaders to have armed security at their places of worship.
First of all, Bill is right. Savage is very pro-2A. But more importantly, I don't think supporting the 2A/CHL and encouraging a church to hire armed security are mutually exclusive. I think you can have both. A pastor or elder board that decides to hire armed guards is not infringing on people's CHLs. They're just doing what they think is best to protect their flock. In my church, I carry concealed and we have two armed police, and I don't see the conflict, especially considering we have a big church and a lot of kids - an active shooter would have a lot of options, so the more armed good guys, the better.

On the other hand, I haven't exactly divulged to our "church police" yet that I'm a CHL. Not sure yet how to initiate that. I'm gonna have to figure it out one of these days, though, because if there was an incident and I engaged a bad guy, I would want our security guards to know I'm one of the good guys.
"Love always protects." (1 Corinthians 13:7)

chamuiel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chamuiel »

Like the Colorado shooting, there seems to be many conflicting reports about this shooting, ie: There was a lone gunman, there was a second shooter, there was a man with the same tattoos as the shooter videotaping the shooting who disapeared. We may never know the true story of what happened.

It does provide more ammunition (pun intended) for those who want to take our guns away from us and they will waste no time exploiting this tragedy.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

ClarkLZeuss wrote:
WildBill wrote:
philip964 wrote:The conservative radio talk show host and author, Michael Savage, does not have a way for me to email him my frustration with him and the bone headed things he says.

...Today he suggested that churches needed to hire armed security guards if they no longer felt safe.

...How could he considering where he has lived, so he can not imagine that a devout religious person could actually legally conceal carry a gun into their place of worship and protect everyone who is there.
Michael Savage has stated numerous times on his radio show that he supports the 2nd Amendment and that he has a Concealed Carry Permit, which is very difficult to get in Marin County where he lives. He also stated that he advised some church leaders to have armed security at their places of worship.
First of all, Bill is right. Savage is very pro-2A. But more importantly, I don't think supporting the 2A/CHL and encouraging a church to hire armed security are mutually exclusive. I think you can have both. A pastor or elder board that decides to hire armed guards is not infringing on people's CHLs. They're just doing what they think is best to protect their flock. In my church, I carry concealed and we have two armed police, and I don't see the conflict, especially considering we have a big church and a lot of kids - an active shooter would have a lot of options, so the more armed good guys, the better.
In places like California, a "may issue" state, their isn't much of a choice between CHL and hiring security guards. There simply are enough people who have a concealed carry license.
NRA Endowment Member

philip964
Posts in topic: 7

Post by philip964 »

Well it finally happened. Radio 740 KTRH right between Rush Linbaugh segments had a news segment where they said the shooter was watched by the FBI because of his right wing conservative views.
There it is, he was a right wing conservative.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

What ticked me off at least as much as the anti-2A and anti-firearms stuff was them labeling the guy as a "veteran"...though he did serve some time in the US Army, he was booted out with an "other than honorable" discharge. I'm sure there will be some who will get all technical on me and show just why he's a veteran by some letter of the laws...but as far as I am concerned, he's a dirtbag and a failure.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Purplehood »

Heartland Patriot wrote:What ticked me off at least as much as the anti-2A and anti-firearms stuff was them labeling the guy as a "veteran"...though he did serve some time in the US Army, he was booted out with an "other than honorable" discharge. I'm sure there will be some who will get all technical on me and show just why he's a veteran by some letter of the laws...but as far as I am concerned, he's a dirtbag and a failure.
:iagree:

The implication resulting from when the casual reader fails to read on...is that he is one of the traumatized returning veterans from the Middle East who represent a potential threat to society.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 9

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Purplehood wrote:
Heartland Patriot wrote:What ticked me off at least as much as the anti-2A and anti-firearms stuff was them labeling the guy as a "veteran"...though he did serve some time in the US Army, he was booted out with an "other than honorable" discharge. I'm sure there will be some who will get all technical on me and show just why he's a veteran by some letter of the laws...but as far as I am concerned, he's a dirtbag and a failure.
:iagree:

The implication resulting from when the casual reader fails to read on...is that he is one of the traumatized returning veterans from the Middle East who represent a potential threat to society.
While this guy may not be a combat veteran, the scary part is that there are thousands of veterans who have served several tours in the middle east and all have the potential of "losing it" on society. I am convinced that serving several tours under combat stress has the potential to create some emotional/mental problems. As these folks attempt to assimilate back into civilian life over the coming years, we will likely see more of these episodes.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

03Lightningrocks wrote:While this guy may not be a combat veteran, the scary part is that there are thousands of veterans who have served several tours in the middle east and all have the potential of "losing it" on society. I am convinced that serving several tours under combat stress has the potential to create some emotional/mental problems. As these folks attempt to assimilate back into civilian life over the coming years, we will likely see more of these episodes.
I have more confidence on the young men and women who serve.

After all, the liberal theme in print and movies for decades was the psycho baby-killer, PTSD Vietnam veteran who came home and could never fit into society or have piece of mind.

However, as numerous veterans groups have shown, the reality for Vietnam veterans is quite different. When measured as an entire group, they have more stable marriages, better careers, less mental and emotional problems, less alcoholism/substance abuse, and a lower incidence of homelessness that the representatives of the same generation who stayed home and protested.

Obviously there are the exception cases on both ends of the bell curve, but on the whole the veteran is the person to place your bets on.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

03Lightningrocks

Jumping Frog wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:While this guy may not be a combat veteran, the scary part is that there are thousands of veterans who have served several tours in the middle east and all have the potential of "losing it" on society. I am convinced that serving several tours under combat stress has the potential to create some emotional/mental problems. As these folks attempt to assimilate back into civilian life over the coming years, we will likely see more of these episodes.
I have more confidence on the young men and women who serve.

After all, the liberal theme in print and movies for decades was the psycho baby-killer, PTSD Vietnam veteran who came home and could never fit into society or have piece of mind.

However, as numerous veterans groups have shown, the reality for Vietnam veterans is quite different. When measured as an entire group, they have more stable marriages, better careers, less mental and emotional problems, less alcoholism/substance abuse, and a lower incidence of homelessness that the representatives of the same generation who stayed home and protested.

Obviously there are the exception cases on both ends of the bell curve, but on the whole the veteran is the person to place your bets on.
The one VERY BIG difference. Vietnam veterans, as a rule, served one term and came home. These young men and women are serving MANY tours and rotating back and forth at rates we have NEVER had in the past war situations. My comments were not made as a lack of confidence in anyone. Which would be very disrespectful.

Your beginning line reads as if you are working under the misconception that your confidence for our men and women of the military exceeds mine. Please don't fool yourself. My father was killed in Vietnam when I was 9 years old and my brother just retired from the Army with 27 years of active duty. I lost three uncles in various wars and have nothing but the greatest confidence in our brave men and women.

jocat54

Post by jocat54 »

Lots of us served more than one tour in Vietnam.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Your beginning line reads as if you are working under the misconception that your confidence for our men and women of the military exceeds mine.
My apologies. Not what I intended,but that is the way it reads. :tiphat:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
AEA
Posts in topic: 16

Post by AEA »

jocat54 wrote:Lots of us served more than one tour in Vietnam.
Yep, I personally served 4 tours.
Not only that, while others were draft dogging, I joined. I was 17 & 1/2 and joined. Never saw a draft card.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

03Lightningrocks

No problem jumping frog... I probably over reacted a bit.

To you other fellers... Thanks for your service. :tiphat: :patriot:

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

puma guy wrote:
This was described as an "act of domestic terrorism". Interesting that shootings at Christian/Jewish places of worship are never described in that manner AFAIK.
Or the shooting of American military and civilian staff by a devout Muslim who was in contact and mentored by a know terrorist..
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

philip964
Posts in topic: 7

Post by philip964 »

bronco78 wrote:
puma guy wrote:
This was described as an "act of domestic terrorism". Interesting that shootings at Christian/Jewish places of worship are never described in that manner AFAIK.
Or the shooting of American military and civilian staff by a devout Muslim who was in contact and mentored by a know terrorist..
I kinda noticed that right off.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”