CAll TO ACTION

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 4

CAll TO ACTION

Post by Jim Beaux »

We have to step up & help Lt. Cmdr. White. His actions are inspiring.
Here’s what needs to happen. Flood the phone of SecNav Ray Mabus and SecDef Carter and ask them whose side they’re. Demand the charges being brought against Lt.Cmdr White be immediately dropped. If those charges are not dropped, I will personally lead the charge to have Carter and Mabus removed from their positions.
Allen West
“A Navy officer and Marine reportedly returned fire at the shooter who killed five service members in Chattanooga, Tenn., even though current policy does not permit military members to carry firearms on facilities such as those where the attack occurred.

The cold-blooded assault killed four Marines and one active-duty Navy reservist. The center’s commanding officer, Lt. Cmdr. Timothy White, used his personal firearm to engage the shooter during the attack, according to sources quoted in the Navy Times. A report from The Washington Post said that one of the Marines killed in the shooting might have been carrying a 9 mm Glock and possibly returned fire on the shooter.

At the time, Western Journalism wrote, Lt. Cmdr. White could face disciplinary action for violating policy about possessing a weapon on the facility that was supposedly a gun-free zone.
http://allenbwest.com/2015/08/whats-hap ... lood-boil/
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 12

Re: CAll TO ACTION

Post by Taypo »

Much as I love Col. West, he may want to quit grandstanding and wait to see if charges are actually brought before he stirs the pot any further. If someone in the food chain is dumb enough to file, then I'll be right there with the crowd trying to melt phone lines.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

I say Hooray to LCdr White for knowingly violating the rules to provide for his own self protection and those of others. But, he made a conscious decision to violate the rules, and he knew the penalties. If the allegations are true, he should be punished for violation of regulations, recognizing that his CO will have a lot of leeway on how to go.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

jmra

Post by jmra »

So, it would be perfectly fine for teachers to break the law and carry in schools as long as they don't get caught until they have to use the gun on an active shooter?
I have no doubt what the response would be on this forum if a teacher with a CHL was busted with a gun in school if there was not an active shooter, but somehow it all becomes ok once a shooter shows up?
I think some of us need to research situational ethics and see if that is a road we want to travel.
Last edited by jmra on Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

ELB

Post by ELB »

I don't know that this (Lt Cmdr being charged) is true, but I am greatly saddened and angered that I even have to consider it might be true, know the current state of our government and military "leadership".
USAF 1982-2005

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

jmra wrote:So, it would be perfectly fine for teachers to break the law and carry in schools as long as they don't get caught until they have to use the gun on an active shooter?
I have no doubt what the response would be on this forum if a teacher with a CHL was busted with a gun in school if there was not an active shooter, but somehow it all becomes ok once a shooter shows up?
I think some of us need to research situational ethics and see if that is a road we want to travel.
:iagree:

Topic author
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

jmra wrote:So, it would be perfectly fine for teachers to break the law and carry in schools as long as they don't get caught until they have to use the gun on an active shooter?

:roll: You should try comparing apples to apples.

There is a difference between the duties, purpose & training of a soldier & those of a teacher. Disarming a soldier on duty is as outrageous as banning a teacher from talking in the classroom - both serve no logical purpose. :headscratch
~Unknown

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baldeagle »

The Navy just issued a non-denial denial
"Stories of Navy personnel being charged with an offense are not true. There is still a long way to go in reviewing the facts of this tragic incident, but at this time we can confirm no service member has been charged with an offense," the Navy said in a statement posted to social media.
IOW, we haven't done anything - yet. But that doesn't mean he won't be charged in the future - although now that we're having to go public, we're having second thoughts......
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I have an answer to this - if a citizen turns a blind eye to the law and ends up being a benefit to society, society should turn a blind eye to that one infraction. Society gets to choose with the benefit of hindsight. Let the rules slip one time since lives were saved, or enforce the rules to no particular purpose other than to say the good samaritan should have been denied the chance to be of service. Seems clear.

As for situational ethics, maybe that should always play a part. I don't want the merits of any case against me judged with respect to demographics or statistics. I want the merits of my particular case evaluated.

But I do understand the concern. Laws should apply equally and at all times.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Jim Beaux wrote:

There is a difference between the duties, purpose & training of a soldier & those of a teacher. Disarming a soldier on duty is as outrageous as banning a teacher from talking in the classroom - both serve no logical purpose. :headscratch
#1: How many serving members of the military have ANY pistol exposure? Now, take your answer and subtract the MP's, the officers, the MI guys and the SF guys. I'll gladly stand behind putting armed guards on entrances of any federal/state/military installation, but allowing the rank and file to carry concealed is asking for trouble. In this instance, its an officer we're discussing so he, at minimum, had M9 exposure.

#2. Your comparison to a teacher not talking is also moot - that's part of the job description, or mission. A recruiter doesn't need a weapon to fulfill the mission.

We're rapidly approaching the point where we need to follow the Israeli model of troops behind armed all the time, but until that changes the law is what it is.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Well I have thought about "situational ethics".

I consider forcing an ordinary citizen who is not otherwise disqualified to be unable to defend themselves an immoral and improper law anyway. Self defense is a God-given right and last I checked he outranks Austin. So any teacher caught carrying while otherwise not doing anything illegal would get a pass from me if I was on a jury. Jury nullification is also a time-honored principle in which ordinary citizens can rule the legislature overstepped its bounds.

And if you want top continue down that road, you could include carrying in bars and other forbidden places.

That said, I am also a practical man who has weighed the trade-off between complying with certain laws I do not agree with and avoiding the risk of having adverse legal consequences. Generally, I will comply.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Taypo wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:

#1: How many serving members of the military have ANY pistol exposure? Now, take your answer and subtract the MP's, the officers, the MI guys and the SF guys. I'll gladly stand behind putting armed guards on entrances of any federal/state/military installation, but allowing the rank and file to carry concealed is asking for trouble. In this instance, its an officer we're discussing so he, at minimum, had M9 exposure.

#2. Your comparison to a teacher not talking is also moot - that's part of the job description, or mission. A recruiter doesn't need a weapon to fulfill the mission.

We're rapidly approaching the point where we need to follow the Israeli model of troops behind armed all the time, but until that changes the law is what it is.
You havent provided anything but baseless rhetoric. There is no sense in engaging you. Have a good day.
~Unknown

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Jim Beaux wrote:
Taypo wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:

You havent provided anything but baseless rhetoric. There is no sense in engaging you. Have a good day.
Baseless rhetoric? You called out someone else's comparison with one of your own, but when yours doesn't pass the smell test you take your ball and go home?

jmra

Post by jmra »

Jim Beaux wrote:

Like the recruiter who recently shot himself in the leg while illegally carrying? We aren't talking SEAL Team 6 here.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Well I have thought about "situational ethics".

I consider forcing an ordinary citizen who is not otherwise disqualified to be unable to defend themselves an immoral and improper law anyway. Self defense is a God-given right and last I checked he outranks Austin. So any teacher caught carrying while otherwise not doing anything illegal would get a pass from me if I was on a jury. Jury nullification is also a time-honored principle in which ordinary citizens can rule the legislature overstepped its bounds.

And if you want top continue down that road, you could include carrying in bars and other forbidden places.

That said, I am also a practical man who has weighed the trade-off between complying with certain laws I do not agree with and avoiding the risk of having adverse legal consequences. Generally, I will comply.
:iagree:
I think it is important to note though that we all know the rules and the laws going in. I knew I couldn't carry at work before I took the job. I could have taken a job where I could have carried but I didn't. So when I make the choice to work in an environment that bans carry and I agree to the set of rules and laws that accompany that decision and then decide not to abide by them, am I not the one being immoral and improper?
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”