Never going to QUAIL CREEK again!

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
JWA4Life
Posts in topic: 2

Never going to QUAIL CREEK again!

Post by JWA4Life »

I went to Quail Creek yesterday on February 9 around 2 pm to put a few rounds through my new Bushmaster AR-15 and thought I would practice shooting a 100 rounds through my Glock 27 (which happens to be my concealed carry gun). Having my CHL on my person, I walk onto the range concealing my Glock 27 in my shoulder holster and I decide to fire my AR-15 first. Then, upon completion of firing my AR-15 I go to the pistol range. The first thing I do when I get over there is unholster my Glock 27, drop the mag, and lock the slide open and then I lay it on the table with the muzzle pointed down range. Next, I take my jacket off that I was wearing and thus I am exposing my short sleeve shirt and the wearing of my EMPTY shoulder holster. I shoot maybe 50 rounds through my Glock through one live fire series between cease fires. One of the older gentlemen who was on duty as a range officer calls another cease fire and I proceed to go and post my next target after he instructs it is safe to do so.

As I am walking back, that same range officer comes running toward me shaking his finger at me saying that I have just committed a felony and that I broke state and federal law. I ask him how he came to such a conclusion. He tells me that it is because I was wearing my weapon exposed in my holster. I firmly but politely reject the statement and as I tell him that I am a CHL and that I can carry concealed...I show him my license. He told me that it did not matter that I still "broke the law"; furthermore, he begins to talk to me like I am ignorant telling me that I need to go back and read my laws because I apparently do not know what it means to properly conceal and carry a short gun. I get irritated at this point and process to tell him a.) my gun is not in the holster right now so it is not a crime to wear a holster empty and exposed, and b.) I came into the range concealed when the holster had my Glock 27 in it and my jacket was covering it completely and it was not evident that I was carrying. So, I was not breaking any law then either considering that there was no 30.06 signage posted and there was no oral declaration from anyone stating that concealed carry was not welcomed or allowed in the range.

The range officer then told me that I was not allowed to wear the holster and then he goes to pick up my gun from the bench. I politely ask him why he is grabbing for my gun and he told me "because he could". I then told him not to touch my firearm and that I would kindly leave if he had a problem with that. Then he told me that I was being kicked out because of breaking the law and wearing an empty holster!!!!!!!!! As I was gathering my shooting materials to leave I told him he was making false assumptions in that just because I was wearing an empty holster does not mean that I carry that way. I then picked up my jacket and explained to him that I was shooting my rifle concealed with the Glock on my left side the whole time while I was on the rifle range. He just stared at me in disbelief. I went to the office to let the guys inside know of these events and I was told to depart the property.

Folks, I am sorry for being long winded here, but this really irritated me off. Quail Creek is a place that I started shooting at as a teenager in 1992 and I am displeased to say that the courtesy of the range staff there has gone down the toilet. These range officials behave as if they are the highest form of knowledge and enforcement in the world of firearms and they love to attempt to intimidate new and experienced shooters alike. This same old man who gave me the hard time tried to justify one series of comments in the midst of our bantering in that he called himself a "firearms expert". In 16 years of recreational shooting and 4 years of firearms training in the US military I have subscribed to the philosophy that people who self proclaim expertise in firearms are usually careless enough to injure themselves and others around them as a result of their inflated egos. I will never go to this range again and I highly encourage all of you, responsible and knowledgeable CHL'ers, to think twice before going to Quail Creek as you can expect to receive the same hassle. I am in the process of filing a formal complaint against this entity with the Texas Secretary of State. It will probably go without follow up but I will do everything I can to discourage others to go to this facility as I do not want any other people like me who simply love to engage in safe shooting to become as discouraged as a result of people like this.

I welcome any thoughts, comments, etc. that the forum may have to offer to add to my perspective here.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Never going to QUAIL CREEK again!

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Those guys at Quail Creek are jerks. I have had issues with them myself, and I've never been anything but cooperative and respectful with them, even when they were breathing fire down my neck. I have always been careful and safety conscious at ranges, and have always tried to scrupulously follow all their rules. I've shot at a number of ranges, both here and in California, and I have never had anyone be as overtly rude and pigheaded as the range officers at Quail Creek. If you do a search of the 'Net for complaints about Quail Creek, you'll find them everywhere. Some of them are mine.

Personally, the last time I was there was the last straw. I'm not paying someone to be rude to me. And worse yet, they do it to you in front of your kids. I'm never going back there again.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AEA
Posts in topic: 5

Post by AEA »

I have never been there but I had the website bookmarked for a future visit by a number of Mustang Enthusiasts who are CHL's. Some of them will be new CHL's and I certainly don't want them to have to go through that! :mad5

So, they have definitely lost my business and that of about 20 other people in the Mustang Club. :anamatedbanana

I have deleted the bookmark of the site from my list. :coolgleamA:

Thanks for the info and the head's up! :tiphat: :txflag:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

I had probs there too. The old Coot would scold me for firing to fast. Said I had to wait 2 seconds between shots. I was waiting 3-4 at the time. However the old fart didnt say a word to the lil gangsta 15' from me when he was banging the butt of his mag on the bench trying to get it seated in the little UZI type gun. I have no plans on going back either.
How are they goin to contain themselves when DAPS starts shooting IDPA there?
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 6

Post by PUCKER »

Been awhile since I've shot at Quail Creek - all I can say is "WOW" - what a moron (the "safety officer").

Topic author
JWA4Life

Post by JWA4Life »

PUCKER wrote:Been awhile since I've shot at Quail Creek - all I can say is "WOW" - what a moron (the "safety officer").
Yes sir...my thoughts exactly :???:
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Rokyudai
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rokyudai »

Another jaw dropping tale of ignorance going unchecked. I'm sorry for your bad experience. The best thing to do is what you did. Take off and never drop a red cent their way again. Let others know to look elsewhere for a business that actually knows how to treat a paying customer. :roll:
NRA Benefactor Member

FIFTY

Post by FIFTY »

I considered forwarding them a link to this thread. Then again, they may not be concerned if they did see it. Hard to imagine that they could be unaware of so many customers having such negative experiences at their range.

Jason73

Post by Jason73 »

I've had my fair share of issues at Quail Creek but I gotta say, this definitely takes the cake!

Its a felony and a violation of state and federal law to wear an EMPTY holster?! That has got to be the most absurd thing Ive ever heard in my life! :shock:

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 6

Post by PUCKER »

You know, it's easy to think of things while sitting at a desk reading this forum (vs. spur of the moment) - one thing I *try* to bring up in conversation with folks who are telling me that so and so is legal/illegal, etc...(when I know that they are incorrect)...is this: "Really? Can you provide me with the Texas (or Federal) Law/Penal Code on that? (sometimes worth inserting: Because if you can't, you're just blowing smoke)."

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Stopped in a few weks ago to just look around. They were rude even then.

Might have to stop by, go in with an empty holster showing and see what is said.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

AEA

Post by AEA »

Let's all get together and go in numbers with openly showing empty (no guns) holsters and BIG wads of money in our holsters............ :thumbs2:

Keep the BUG's abailable in case we have trouble with all that cash showing! :smilelol5:
1911's RULE!

agdude

Post by agdude »

Sounds like a place I need to avoid...

Just to throw this out there... even if you did have your glock in the holster, you would still be legal. If you're at a place where that type of weapon is commonly used and you are participating in the events (like at a shooting range) you may open carry according to the Penal Code.

Either way, they need to cool it... that's just insane that he would do that.
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms... Who's bringin' the chips?

AEA

Post by AEA »

agdude wrote:Sounds like a place I need to avoid...

Just to throw this out there... even if you did have your glock in the holster, you would still be legal. If you're at a place where that type of weapon is commonly used and you are participating in the events (like at a shooting range) you may open carry according to the Penal Code.

Either way, they need to cool it... that's just insane that he would do that.
VERY GOOD POINT! :iagree:
1911's RULE!

rokclimbertx

Post by rokclimbertx »

bookmark deleted...
business lost...
morons!
130 Days to TXCHL Issued

Return to “Shooting Ranges”