Restrictions on brass pick-up

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

alvins

Re: Restrictions on brass pick-up

Post by alvins »

the texas city public range would probably enjoy it if everyone picked up their brass. all they do is throw it away. They throw out perfectly good shotgun hulls too.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

If you don't like it, shoot a revolver! :mrgreen:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

lkd wrote:On the other hand, I've seen people abuse this by trying to sweep their bay and the 5 other bays near them. That's bad mojo.
Tonight, for example, there were two lanes occupied to my right. I asked them if they kept their brass. They replied no. I then asked if they would like me to sweep up their brass for them, and they replied that was fine with them. My brass was intermingled with their's.

I don't see that as "bad mojo". That is simply being polite.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Katygunnut
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Katygunnut »

sjfcontrol wrote:If you don't like it, shoot a revolver! :mrgreen:
Actually, the way that the rules are worded at Memorial Shooting Center and American Shooting Center is that all brass must be left and cannot be taken with you. I can't recall the exact wording and for some reason this rule is not included in the list of rules on their sites, but it is posted at the actual range. This would include brass that had been fired through a revolver. As to whether they would actually try to stop you from dropping your revolver shell casings into your range bag, who knows.

Presumably, you can take unfired bullets with you (including the brass that encases the bullet), so the brass only magically changes from your property to theirs after the bullet has been discharged.

Topic author
Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

For the record, I think that Top Gun range (in Houston) has it right. Their rule is as follows:

"All down range & abandoned brass belongs to Top Gun of Texas."

Seems like a logical restriction on not going down range and also on not sweeping up the neighboring stalls, but doesn't make you into a rule breaker by just collecting up the brass from your area.

rgoldy

Post by rgoldy »

I think you should check with ASC on the rule. They have never said anything to me about picking up my own brass from rounds I brought with me. They do not want you picking up "abandoned" brass. Yes, they do collect and recycle brass from the range. The notation about how few shooters pick up is correct, as few as 1-2 out of 10.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
JOIN NRA[/i] JOIN TSRA

Topic author
Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

rgoldy wrote:I think you should check with ASC on the rule. They have never said anything to me about picking up my own brass from rounds I brought with me. They do not want you picking up "abandoned" brass. Yes, they do collect and recycle brass from the range. The notation about how few shooters pick up is correct, as few as 1-2 out of 10.
Thanks. I will do that. I was going with the sign they have posted on the range. I interpreted this to mean that you weren't supposed to keep any of the brass, but I can't recall the exact wording.

Skaven

Post by Skaven »

I would be under the impression that your brass is your property. You paid for it, and I would like someone to just try and tell me i can't have my property.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

Skaven wrote:I would be under the impression that your brass is your property. You paid for it, and I would like someone to just try and tell me i can't have my property.
Don't take that attitude at the DPS range in Austin when you take the CHL Instructor's proficiency test. If it hits the ground, it's theirs.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

Crossfire wrote:Gun ranges, especially indoor ranges, are very expensive to build, run, and maintain. They cannot survive on range fees alone.

That is why they sell guns, ammo, targets, memberships, and scrap brass.
And when they stop allowing me to pick up MY brass, the make less profit because I refuse to spend money there.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

MoJo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MoJo »

fulano wrote:
Jrangel wrote:I've heard that at MSC, two clients started an argument over the brass pickup. So the owner decided to apply the no brass pick up rule.

Just my 2 cents.
Were they armed? :shock:
They were at a shooting range weren't they? :biggrinjester:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

fulano

Post by fulano »

MoJo wrote:
fulano wrote:
Jrangel wrote:I've heard that at MSC, two clients started an argument over the brass pickup. So the owner decided to apply the no brass pick up rule.

Just my 2 cents.
¿Surely you realize I was joking? :headscratch Although... it could have gotten nasty.....I mean when I pick up my brass my hands get beyound dirty. Do they ever wash the floors of those places??
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

fulano wrote:
MoJo wrote:
fulano wrote:

Just my 2 cents.
¿Surely you realize I was joking? :headscratch Although... it could have gotten nasty.....I mean when I pick up my brass my hands get beyound dirty. Do they ever wash the floors of those places??
I was hoping you were joking but, such an obvious question deserved an obvious answer. ;-)

Get a brass wizard - - - you won't have to get down on the floor or touch the brass till you can clean it.
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

fulano

Post by fulano »

MoJo wrote:
I was hoping you were joking but, such an obvious question deserved an obvious answer. ;-)

Get a brass wizard - - - you won't have to get down on the floor or touch the brass till you can clean it.
That is way cool. http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you ever carried it to an indoor range? I don't think it would fit in my range bag.

I try to carry out the amount of brass I took in but I will admit that I end up with a little more :mrgreen: When I go to the range with my wife I have to work hard to find her 380 brass. The majority on the floor is 9mm, 45, or 40. So I end up sorting through a lot of really dirty brass from crooks and crannys. This gizmo would simplify things.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

No, I only use it at the gun club I belong to (outdoor range). The only problem with picking up brass there is beating the "brass vultures" to it!
George Mason

Return to “Shooting Ranges”