Gun Range Demanding Too Much Personal Info

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun Range Demanding Too Much Personal Info

Post by MoJo »

If you have time off on a weekday that would be excellent. I am retired and M-F are pretty much free.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

teddy salad
Posts in topic: 1

Post by teddy salad »

MoJo wrote:I am retired and M-F are pretty much free.
Congratulations. I hope to someday be able to say that sentence myself, but it's looking less and less likely with every passing year :lol::

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

Jim Beaux wrote:
Today I visited a new range in the area and was given a form asking for name, address, home & cell phone number, drivers license number (& let them make a copy), & email address.

I told the lady at the counter I would give my name & city and would leave if that wasnt good enough.
So you would not give them your address, however, you gave and let them copy your DL, which has you address clearly printed on it? Exactly what did you gained by refusing to write down your address on the form? I suspect the reason they ask for that information is in case there is an accident and they need to notify someone or give the police the information. Every gun range I've been to requires name and DL number at a minimum. Email address is just so they can send you junk mail. For those occasions I have a free yahoo account that I use. That way all my junk mail goes to that account. I have other email accounts that I only give to selected people and for the most part are junk mail free.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

longtooth wrote:Never had that. Been to a lot of ranges.
:iagree: Name, rank and serial number. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

Stumpjumper

Post by Stumpjumper »

JJVP wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:
Today I visited a new range in the area and was given a form asking for name, address, home & cell phone number, drivers license number (& let them make a copy), & email address.

I told the lady at the counter I would give my name & city and would leave if that wasnt good enough.
So you would not give them your address, however, you gave and let them copy your DL, which has you address clearly printed on it? Exactly what did you gained by refusing to write down your address on the form? I suspect the reason they ask for that information is in case there is an accident and they need to notify someone or give the police the information. Every gun range I've been to requires name and DL number at a minimum. Email address is just so they can send you junk mail. For those occasions I have a free yahoo account that I use. That way all my junk mail goes to that account. I have other email accounts that I only give to selected people and for the most part are junk mail free.

I would assume from reading the OP that the range wanted to make a copy not that he gave it to them to do so. Sometimes you need to read between the lines before jumping all over somebody or just read the next line where the OP told them the info he was willing to give. Just saying. :rules:
What chance does America have if good people do nothing?

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

JJVP wrote:Every gun range I've been to requires name and DL number at a minimum.
I have never been asked for it and I wouldn't give it to a public range. No ID is required for cash.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

Stumpjumper wrote:
JJVP wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:

I would assume from reading the OP that the range wanted to make a copy not that he gave it to them to do so. Sometimes you need to read between the lines before jumping all over somebody or just read the next line where the OP told them the info he was willing to give. Just saying. :rules:
Oops, you might be correct. I read that he gave and let them make a copy of the DL.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

Topic author
Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jim Beaux »

JJVP wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:

As long as I am the customer, I make the rules. (hope you get over that case of discombobulatis)
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Topic author
Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jim Beaux »

Stumpjumper wrote:
JJVP wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:
Thank you Stumpjumper.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

While I agree that sometimes people want more information than they really need--I just had another thought. What if something happened? An emergency of some kind-not even necessarily gun related--could be heat, heart or other things. Wouldn't you feel better knowing that they at least knew who you are? And have some method of contacting someone?--Guess it is the nurse/mother side of me thinking of those things
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

JustMe wrote:While I agree that sometimes people want more information than they really need--I just had another thought. What if something happened? An emergency of some kind-not even necessarily gun related--could be heat, heart or other things. Wouldn't you feel better knowing that they at least knew who you are? And have some method of contacting someone?--Guess it is the nurse/mother side of me thinking of those things
They can grab my wallet out of my pants if it gets to that...
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

See--I didn't even think of that! When I go to the range, I lock my purse in the trunk of my car--so essentially, I have no ID on me(other than my name monagrammed on my range bag)
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

JustMe wrote:See--I didn't even think of that! When I go to the range, I lock my purse in the trunk of my car--so essentially, I have no ID on me(other than my name monagrammed on my range bag)
Hmm...now this has me thinking. I wonder if it would make sense to keep an equivalent "Medical ID Card" in a range bag all the time. Name, Emergency Contact Info, Allergies, etc. Might be worthwhile for many.

:tiphat:

(sorry to the OP for the threadjack)
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 3

Post by E.Marquez »

JustMe wrote:While I agree that sometimes people want more information than they really need--I just had another thought. What if something happened? An emergency of some kind-not even necessarily gun related--could be heat, heart or other things. Wouldn't you feel better knowing that they at least knew who you are? And have some method of contacting someone?--Guess it is the nurse/mother side of me thinking of those things
Personally? No, I would not feel better, my sense of personal responsibility and desire for personal identity information (PII) security as well as, I don’t hand that PII to a BK employee when I go in for a burger.. nor at the ticket taker at a movie theater, or even many of the tracks I ride at..
I have no desire for a range employee to secure me (that’s my job), nor care for me (that is a medics job), nor notify my next of kin (that’s a hospital staff or LEO’s job).
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RPB »

pbwalker wrote:
JustMe wrote:See--I didn't even think of that! When I go to the range, I lock my purse in the trunk of my car--so essentially, I have no ID on me(other than my name monagrammed on my range bag)
Hmm...now this has me thinking. I wonder if it would make sense to keep an equivalent "Medical ID Card" in a range bag all the time. Name, Emergency Contact Info, Allergies, etc. Might be worthwhile for many.

:tiphat:

(sorry to the OP for the threadjack)
About $14.00 (if you can still Google discount coupon ... $5.00 off) Or, HEB had some .. I'm sure other pharmacies can get the USB drive medical records bracelets/ several companies make them
Rubber-USB drive I wear it ... kayaking/driving/working in the yard with a chainsaw ... all the time
In case info needed, insert in any USB drive, it has everything you'll ever need to know about me.
Allergies, Meds I take, doctor's home phone #, relatives ... everything
otherwise ... not their business
http://medicalhistorybracelet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “Shooting Ranges”