Where do most of you shoot at?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

jbenat
Posts in topic: 6

I feel your pain......

Post by jbenat »

O6nop wrote:I noticed thias thread started about a year and a half ago and is 5 pages long. I also noticed only one post from the Austin area. It's sad to see that there is so little to choose from in this area. Two ranges closed down this fall and even though the Eagle Peak range outside of Austin is nice, it's restrictive on rifle ammo (hollow point only). Any other ranges are a pretty far distance to travel, unless you want to go to an indoor range.

I don't understand why ranges here in the Capital area are vanishing!
You live in what is probably the most liberal city in Texas thanks to T.U. and it's political pull. You are lucky to be able to even own a gun. I live in Frisco, Tx otherwise known as Yuppyville where the gun grabbers have closed down two outdoor ranges just up the road on Hwy 380. One was just about ten minutes from my home (bought out by a developer) and the other was shut down by a liberal judge in McKinney, Tx after being there for over eight years. Now we have to drive 25 to 30 minutes to shoot in a indoor range, shoulder to shoulder with a little divider, just punching holes in paper.
We are moving to East Texas ASAP to get out of the traffic and join a good outdoor range. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :cool:
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

j1132s
Posts in topic: 2

Post by j1132s »

O6nop wrote:I noticed thias thread started about a year and a half ago and is 5 pages long. I also noticed only one post from the Austin area. It's sad to see that there is so little to choose from in this area. Two ranges closed down this fall and even though the Eagle Peak range outside of Austin is nice, it's restrictive on rifle ammo (hollow point only). Any other ranges are a pretty far distance to travel, unless you want to go to an indoor range.

I don't understand why ranges here in the Capital area are vanishing!
Hey O6nop, too bad we never got to shot at the Austin skeet and Rifle range before it closed.

There's also Capitol trap and skeet range in addition to Eagle Peak; that's about it for public outdoor ranges around Austin. BTW, both of these ranges are very clean and safe. I'll have to write a review on the Capitol Trap & Skeet some day :)

As to why ranges around Austin are closing, I think it is because the land is worth more than what the range can bring in.

Back to the original post question: I've been shooting mostly at Red's indoor range in Pflugerville (near Austin) ever since I started shooting 2 years ago.

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

I did go to the Austin skeet and Rifle range several times, I thought it was a dump, but it was a place to shoot. Under proper management, they could have made a lot of money. The Capital trap and Skeet is shotgun only, mainly for game practice. Eagle Peak has restrictions on FMJ rifle ammo.

If anyone would like to share a ride to Texas Tactical matches, near San Antonio,it may be worth the trip. (hint) ;-)

j1132s

Post by j1132s »

O6nop wrote:I did go to the Austin skeet and Rifle range several times, I thought it was a dump, but it was a place to shoot. Under proper management, they could have made a lot of money. The Capital trap and Skeet is shotgun only, mainly for game practice. Eagle Peak has restrictions on FMJ rifle ammo.

If anyone would like to share a ride to Texas Tactical matches, near San Antonio,it may be worth the trip. (hint) ;-)
I had a few conversations w/ the owner of Austin Skeet and Rifle range, and the impression I got was the he's making "good money" (he gave me a number and said it was good money). The developer who bought the land offered to "relocate" his range, but he's just too old and tired to continue it. I really miss that place since it was the only place to practice drawing/movement, nice people, and fairly close to Austin.

O6nop, I'm sending you a PM regarding to car pooling.

tsteven1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tsteven1 »

I shoot at the Fort Bliss Rod & Gun Club in town here in El Paso.
God, Guns, & Country.

bigcarl64

Post by bigcarl64 »

Shooter's Station Conroe,TX

Jason73

Where do most of you shoot at?

Post by Jason73 »

The Shooting Gallery, Ft Worth TX
The Shooters Club, Ft Worth TX
*Range Removed*
Quail Creek Public Shooting Range, Argyle TX
Bass Pro Shops, Grapevine TX (ban on silhouette targets here is silly imo :evil: )

and hopefully by summer of 2007 I will be shooting @ Tactical Edge Shooting Center Roanoke, TX

I am removing Alpine Shooting Range, Ft Worth TX from this list. I took my brother in law out there for his 30th b-day yesterday and will NEVER go back. They had a teenage range officer working there who needs a serious attitude adjustment and/or lesson in customer service. Had my pistol grip shotgun with us, bro in law went to fire it and accidently hit the ground with the shot. This little punk comes running over, gets in his face screaming at him, acting like he is going to physically assault my brother in law. Having served in the US Air Force my brother in law is well versed in safe weapons handling and did not deserve to be treated in the manner in which he did. We will never go back to this place and I suggest that none of you go there either.
(for what its worth they had another range officer there yesterday, an older gentleman wearing a US Army hat, he was very professional and courteous - its unfortunate the young punk didn't take some lessons from him.)
Last edited by Jason73 on Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Calhoun

Post by Big Calhoun »

Bullet Trap in Plano - Friendly folks, lots of bays, and a good selection of eye candy to look at afterwards.

DFWGun - Go occasionally if BT is too busy or I don't feel like driving out there. Haven't been back to shoot since they redid the left side of bays. Looked good though when I popped in about two weeks ago.

DDuck

Post by DDuck »

So far I have done all my shooting at Gibson's Outpost in Mesquite because it's fairly close. I will probably try the Garland Public Shooting in the near future.
Glock 19
S&W Mod 60 38 Spcl.
S&W Mod 65 357 Mag.
Ruger New Model Blackhawk 357 Mag.

Skipper5

Post by Skipper5 »

Shot at DFW Gun Range (last time was day before roof collapsed), Bullet Trap, Winchester>Elm Fork, and Targetmasters . Became member of Targetmasters...nice family run...pistol and shotgun on one range 18 lanes in two sections and then rifle range on other side of building. CHL instruction rooms and two family members are Instructors. Good accessories and handgun selection; knowledgeable. Good discipline on range...new a/c ventilation. Jupiter, just north of Royal/Miller Rd in Garland- 15 minutes from Preston/Royal.
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

JRG

Post by JRG »

Skipper5,

What does it cost to join Targetmasters?

JRG

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

Bullet Trap in Plano ($100 membership + $7.00 all day access) and Alpine in FW

Will probably try the Garland range soon just for curiosity's sake.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

westernamerican

Post by westernamerican »

My wife and I both shoot at ON Target on HWY 377 South of Benbrook in Whiskey Flats.......Nice Place! :thumbsup:

catsofthebase3

Post by catsofthebase3 »

Do most of my shooting at the Bullet Trap in Plano.

It's a darn shame what they do to some of these ranges. Cities pushing people out of business because guns are supposedly evil.

We should protest....

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by seamusTX »

catsofthebase3 wrote:Cities pushing people out of business because guns are supposedly evil.
Cities in Texas cannot use zoning or noise ordinances to put ranges out of business.

I'm a member of a club and I see the budget. What has the potential to put us out of business are real-estate taxes and liability insurance. The land that the range stands on would be worth millions on the open market.

- Jim

Return to “Shooting Ranges”