Conceal Carry when going to the Range?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

v-rog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Conceal Carry when going to the Range?

Post by v-rog »

Unless specified via a properly posted 30.06 sign, (assuming plastic in hand...still waiting...) I would not unholster my weapon and/or unload it prior to shooting. If the range personel have a problem with that, then it's time to explore other ranges- Plenty out there trying to stay in buisness. I want to shoot my CCW as much as I can and it is ridiculous for a CHL holder to have to do so.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

tommyg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tommyg »

When I go to a range I carry my hand gun in a small
plastic case unloaded keep it in the case until
ready to load and shoot.

Carry out unloaded in the case. Load and conceal
when I can do it descretely
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Mr.d wrote:Same here. I took my chl class here and I've gone back to shoot once and they were just fine with me walking in whilst concealed. Just showed it to them. Paid. Shot. Left.
Showed them what? :headscratch Surely not the weapon? and they don't need to see the CHL. I have only ever shown them my DL when I go there shooting. The only time my CHL comes out is when I am buying a new firearm, or the po-po stop me :)
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

tommyg wrote:When I go to a range I carry my hand gun in a small
ready to load and shoot.

IMO, it is a LOT safer to be loading and holstering my handgun while at the range than sitting in some parking lot trying to do it in the car.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
tommyg wrote:When I go to a range I carry my hand gun in a small
ready to load and shoot.

IMO, it is a LOT safer to be loading and holstering my handgun while at the range than sitting in some parking lot trying to do it in the car.
I agree....and you aren't disarmed for the walk from the car park to the range/shop. People moan about having to disarm to go to off limit establishments and here they are disarming when the don't need to. Sheesh! "rlol"
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

duns

Post by duns »

I've only been to a handful of ranges (all in Houston) but I always do some shooting with my concealed carry gun as well as with those I carried in in their boxes. No one has ever complained at my producing a gun from a holster and reholstering at the end of my session. The rangemasters have commented on it a couple of times when I was reholstering at the end of the session but only in a positive, approving kind of way. I can't see anything wrong with this practice -- provided I keep proper muzzle control -- and any range that took issue with it would not see my business again.

Gyrogearhead

Post by Gyrogearhead »

At the tactical shoot Sunday evenings at Best Shot Range in Friendswood we get reminded at the end of the session to go down to the sand trap, make ready and holster up for the trip home lest someone forget and leave with their carry gun in their range bag.

Nice folks over there! :anamatedbanana

Gerry
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

jpfrog

Post by jpfrog »

baldeagle wrote:Ask the range what their policy is. Garland Shooting Range allows it. The Bullet Trap in Plano has a sign in the window stating that all firearms must be unloaded before entering. Having said that, it's not illegal to carry concealed into/onto a gun range. The worst that could happen is that they ask you not to return, which might be a tipoff that they shouldn't get your business anyway.
+1...also, the sign that Bullet Trap has is not a 30.06 sign. Just like when entering a Cabela's/Bass Pro...same "firearms must be unloaded..." sign there too. I asked if this applied to Concealed Carry persons at Cabelas and they said no, CHL persons are permitted as long as it stays concealed. I think I got a similar response at BT, but I'd ask them first. That said, if you're carrying concealed CORRECTLY, how would they know?
-JPFROG

MMac

Post by MMac »

They don't mind CC at Shiloh, just must be holstered or bagged. I went shooting there the other day - shot my CC gun and several I brought in my bag. My friend with me also shot his CC gun, bringing his bag only for his ammo and gear.

In their tactical classes they also remind you to get set up CC when you leave, and remind you if you have a CHL why aren't you CCing.

I love that range.
Mac
Houston/Klein, TX
NRA Member
S&W M&P 9FS, 9c, Shield 9, 15-22

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

jpfrog wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Ask the range what their policy is. Garland Shooting Range allows it. The Bullet Trap in Plano has a sign in the window stating that all firearms must be unloaded before entering. Having said that, it's not illegal to carry concealed into/onto a gun range. The worst that could happen is that they ask you not to return, which might be a tipoff that they shouldn't get your business anyway.
+1...also, the sign that Bullet Trap has is not a 30.06 sign. Just like when entering a Cabela's/Bass Pro...same "firearms must be unloaded..." sign there too. I asked if this applied to Concealed Carry persons at Cabelas and they said no, CHL persons are permitted as long as it stays concealed. I think I got a similar response at BT, but I'd ask them first. That said, if you're carrying concealed CORRECTLY, how would they know?
Bullet Trap will allow you to unconceal at the line, shoot your CC weapon, then load and re-holster before leaving the line. Just no drawing from the holster.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 12

Post by sjfcontrol »

Keith B wrote:
jpfrog wrote:
Bullet Trap will allow you to unconceal at the line, shoot your CC weapon, then load and re-holster before leaving the line. Just no drawing from the holster.
Keith -- I've stated that before, too. However, that range changed hands a while back. I don't know whether the same rules apply anymore. Anybody asked them since the ownership change?
They haven't given me any grief about it, but I'm not sure they noticed, either.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission :cool:
sjfcontrol wrote:
Keith B wrote:
jpfrog wrote:
Keith -- I've stated that before, too. However, that range changed hands a while back. I don't know whether the same rules apply anymore. Anybody asked them since the ownership change?
They haven't given me any grief about it, but I'm not sure they noticed, either.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

Gyrogearhead

Post by Gyrogearhead »

Keith B wrote:Bullet Trap will allow you to unconceal at the line, shoot your CC weapon, then load and re-holster before leaving the line. Just no drawing from the holster.
In the "For What It's Worth" dept. Last time I was there you could, when you checked in at Best Shot Range in Friendswood, tell them you want to practice holster draws and they would put you at one or the other outer lanes of the range next to the wall where you can draw and fire to your heart's content. :woohoo No holster draws from any other lanes allowed though, just the two outside ones.

Gerry
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:MY general rule is to follow any posted signs, even if not specifically CHL-specific/enforceable... And then ASK...
Great way to get verbally 30:06ed. There is a very specific set of laws regarding which signs apply to you. There is no reason to ask, other than to make sure everyone knows you have a gun on you. :banghead:
Most places I'd agree with you, but not at the range.
If I'm planning on shooting my carry gun at the range, I want to know where the range officers feel it's ok to handle it.
I figure I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are "gun friendly" and just ask.
Communication seems to be a declining skill in these days of email and text messages. I like to talk with people.
If I got an answer I didn't like, better to know sooner than later, and have an opportunity for discussion.

IMO... Of course, YMMV.
AndyC wrote:If you absolutely, totally have to keep it loaded and concealed - for whatever reason - let the RO know before you get to the bench that you have a concealed firearm ("On my ankle", "On my right hip", wherever) then ask how he/she wants you to proceed. I'm seriously less than impressed when I'm down-range changing a target - and a new shooter arrives at the bench and suddenly whips out his concealed firearm as if to impress everybody and slams it on the bench before the RO can even grab him.

Don't take the ROs and other shooters by surprise that way - that's the mark of a total amateur wannabe and I have had zero compunction in making my fright and displeasure felt by calling a man a chicken-plucking idiot to his face when I got back there. Don't be a dork, and I won't have to embarrass you in front of your kid or your friends because if you're that unsafe around guns, I could give a darn what you think.
Communication... :thumbs2:
Makes the world a better place. :mrgreen:
AndyC wrote:Drawing a (loaded or unloaded) firearm from a concealed holster on arrival at the bench without sweeping someone with the muzzle seems to be next-to-impossible for most. It's the most amateurish thing which I've seen time and again, and it disturbs me on a number of levels.
A bit OT, so I'll be quick.. First time I shot to qualify for CHL was in NC. Draw from a holster was REQUIRED for the test.
Heading out the door, I couldn't find my Yaqui that I planned to use.
Unfortunately, the only things I could find were a belly band and a shoulder rig. :eek6
At the firing line, we were about a dozen shooters shooting SIMULTANEOUSLY. (Several shooters were idiots, I'll save that for another time)
Instructor (local Sheriff's Deputy) said to me "If I see you sweep anyone with that muzzle, even once, I'll fail you."
Nothing like a little extra pressure drawing from a seldom-used shoulder rig in a timed course of fire with other (very novice) shooters next to me.
I grabbed an end spot (last to the left, I'm right-handed) and shot a perfect score under a watchful eye. :woohoo
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

fulano
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fulano »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Keith B wrote:Bullet Trap will allow you to unconceal at the line, shoot your CC weapon, then load and re-holster before leaving the line. Just no drawing from the holster.
Has the Bullet Trap changed hands?

I was there right before Thanksgiving and practiced with my carry weapon then re-holstered without a problem. Its been over a year since I asked if I could infact carry inside, practice and reholster and was told that was fine. Hope things don't change.

I like the Bullet Trap. I have noticed lots more email from them starting in the late summer; almost like an effort to "market direct to the members". They hadn't really done that since I joined a few years back. :headscratch
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

Return to “Shooting Ranges”