What is your favorite range?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
357sig
Posts in topic: 1

What is your favorite range?

Post by 357sig »

I like to shoot at Bullet Trap in Plano,Tx. It is always clean & has a very nice store with pretty good prices. Here is their site.
http://www.bullettrapinc.com/
Last edited by 357sig on Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I live in peace, but I carry a piece anyway...."

dws1117
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dws1117 »

When it's open I like the range at the National Forest. All other times of the year I frequent Shooter's Station in Conroe. I haven't found a place that I am really happy with for rifle, but it looks like Thunder Range south of Conroe will be getting a lot of my business.

one eyed fatman
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by one eyed fatman »

I'm gonna have to go with American shooting center. Their 250.00 membership fee is stiff but you don't have to join to shoot there. I shoot every two weeks and have two guns. I save money by not joining. All shooters are welcome and the range bosses are pretty dam polite.

Lindy

Post by Lindy »

ASC won't let one use suppressors there, and they have at times been hostile to pistol shooters working from holsters.

I like PSC, near Friendswood, which has neither of those problems, and enough pistol bays that you can usually find an open one to practice shooting while moving and other things which will get you tossed off most public ranges.

And it hosts an IDPA match the first Saturday of the month.

http://www.psc-range.com
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

one eyed fatman
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by one eyed fatman »

Lindy wrote:ASC won't let one use suppressors there, and they have at times been hostile to pistol shooters working from holsters.

I like PSC, near Friendswood, which has neither of those problems, and enough pistol bays that you can usually find an open one to practice shooting while moving and other things which will get you tossed off most public ranges.

Ya... I have to wonder sometimes who's side some range owner are on. But their 20 minutes from me and PSC is an hour and a half drive. I lose, you win. :(

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Does PSC allow you to stand while shooting a rifle? I haven't found any range that allows any thing other than sitting at a bench.

Some keep and AR or other type of rifle for home defense. If one were to have to employee that rifle I doubt that they are going to be sitting at a bench. They will most likely be standing. From my limited experience, each rifle shoots different between posisitions.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

PSC has two center fire rifle ranges and one .22 rimfire only range. You can stand to shoot on one of the center fire rifle ranges (Range 1), but not on the bench rest range. The bench rest range (Range 4) is 200 yds. and Range 1 has berms at 50, 100, 150, 200 & 300 yds.

Chas.

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

I spend a lot of time at Bayou Rifles, in Juliff. Was membership director for two years - honesty / disclosure - but objectively I think it is a good outfit.

Some rules - no drawing an firing from the holster - put people off. Also, to shoot supressed firearms you need to get a "mother-may-I paper" from the Board, but they always give it.

The Highpower match is the second Saturday and the all-prone 60-shot the third Sunday.

Most days after work I am at the 15 or 25 yard pistol range, unless it is raining too hard.

Purrrs,
Bobcat
"retractable claws, the *original* concealed carry"
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

As far as indoor ranges go, I really like DFW Gun range in Dallas. It changed ownership a little while back, but it's still a nice place to shoot.

http://www.dfwgun.com

Since I don't get to Dallas as often as I'd like, I usually shoot at PSC(for IDPA), Marksman(S. Houston) and Pasadena Gun Center http://www.pasadenaguncenter.com/index.htm.

Renting the Machineguns at Pasadena Gun Center is a lot of fun and not too expensive. DFW Gun range charges far more to use their SMG's.

(edit: link added)
Last edited by Paladin on Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

sensei

Post by sensei »

Lindy wrote: I like PSC, near Friendswood, which has neither of those problems, and enough pistol bays that you can usually find an open one to practice shooting while moving and other things which will get you tossed off most public ranges.

My home range also. Great place.

sensei

em1077

Post by em1077 »

Dietz's Gun Store & Firing Range, out near New Braunsfels.

$60 yearly membership or $9 all day ($7 for NRA members). No hours, just when the sun comes up to when the sun goes down. REALLY nice people, have to watch out for newbies some times on the pistols range).

ElGato
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ElGato »

PSC gets my vote, I just don't get there often enough, the Texas City range ( run by the City ) is only a half mile away from me and also very nice, well run and safe. No moving or holster work.
Tom
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

ElGato
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ElGato »

I should have said, No moving or holster work is a minus, but the way Texas City Range is set up would be impossible to do and stay safe.
Tom
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I really liked the Texas City range the few times that I went. As a matter of fact, I wish some of the range owners up here would go there and use it as a model. The benches are nice, the covered area with the concrete floor, and it was clean. What impressd me the most was the concrete sidewalks out to the target positions. No walking through mud to set your targets, unlike some of the ranges north of the city. One day the ranges up here my discover concrete.

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I am a big PSC fan. I let my membership go though because it is over an hour drive from my home. There is one that is supposed to be opening in East Harris County, off of 1942. Won't be as nice as PSC, but it will be closer.

Glenn

Return to “Shooting Ranges”