Learn "Practical Shooting" or competitions?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 4

Learn "Practical Shooting" or competitions?

Post by Scott in Houston »

I've had my CHL about a year and I shoot at indoor ranges fairly often (almost weekly), but it's the same thing... shooting at a paper target from varying distances.

Years ago, before getting into shooting handguns, I watched a friend of mine do a shooting competition of sorts at American Shooting Center. They had you start lying down like you're in bed, you had to get up, load, and move through a set of obstacles while shooting at targets.

I've read discussions about shooting competitions that sound like you do this similar type of exercise for time and points.
I've never done this, and I admit, I'm somewhat intimidated, but you gotta start somewhere, so anyone have a good place to start?

I'd like to know of a club or range that's accepting of newbies, and that I could learn and not worry about embarrassment.
I live in Katy, but would be willing to drive around the Houston area for this.
Do they do evening events ever too? (That would help with my schedule)

skub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Learn "Practical Shooting" or competitions?

Post by skub »

I live in Katy and shot IPSC a few times several years ago out at American as well, but then my son's schedule filled up my life (he played Katy football). Now that he is a freshman in college, I have just started shooting again, this time, IDPA out west of here at Impact Zone. You might want to go out to one of the matches and just watch one week, or you can just go shoot. The matches I go to are on Wednesday nights, although I know they are having a 3 gun competition today.

PM me if you want to connect about this, or go to a match.
Theologue at large
5th Generation Texan
CHL 05/04

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

I can't really comment on the clubs in your area, but I'd recommend looking into IDPA. It emphasizes more of the practical than the competition aspect, so you'll see alot more people using stock type guns rather than tricked out competition only guns.

Most clubs are very welcoming of newcomers. If you show up planning on watching, you'll likely have people encouraging you to go ahead and shoot and even loan you any equipment you might not have. I shot the first one I attended and it went fine. Just watch the other people and take it slow and easy..don't worry about time or points your first few times through.

A-R

Post by A-R »

+2 on IDPA. I just started shooting it in Austin area and I'm hooked (hoping to shoot another match tomorrow in Liberty HIll). It's a great combination of just enough "real world" practical shooting challenge with some fun comraderie and gamesmanship.

Only slight issue I have with IDPA is that .40-cal sort of gets shut out if you really want to compete (and not just practice with your carry gun). The classifications for semi-auto - which I'm still learning - basically break down into either 9mm or .45. Because .40-cal doesn't have quite enough bullet weight to compete in the .45 class, it ends up competing against softer-shooting 9mm guns. Don't get me wrong, you can compete with .40 and if you're good you'll likely beat many competitors using 9mm. But it seems that the folks who get really into the competitve aspects all use 9mm pistols that are borderline true concealed carry guns (full size Glock 17 and even extended slide competition guns like Glock 34). So sooner or later if you hope to place well in a very competitive match, a .40-cal gun could be a disadvantage (and of course .40-cal costs about 40% to 50% more than 9mm, which can get expensive).

But above is all just competitive/gamesmanship complaints. If you just want to go shoot a match with your regular carry gun/holster set up, it is great fun and you'll learn and develop a lot as a shooter. You can save the competitiveness and gamesmanship for later. I shoot with a standard mid-size Glock, Crossbreed Supertuck holster, and a pair of Blackhawk kydex mag pouches. This is the same as my carry setup (except I sometimes use a different mag pouch).

I'd like to find a BUG match somewhere and shoot one of my small guns - Glock 27, Walther PPS, or S&W J-frame. Also thinking of trying a carbine match sometime. Watched some guys compete in carbine a few weeks ago and going through the course with an AR just looks COOL :drool: and a heckuva lotta fun.

http://www.idpa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cbunt1 »

austinrealtor wrote:
I'd like to find a BUG match somewhere and shoot one of my small guns - Glock 27, Walther PPS, or S&W J-frame.
It's a "little" out of your area, but the Shiloh (Houston) IDPA group runs a BUG match on the 5th Thursday nights. Sign-up at 6:30, hammer-down at 7.

There was talk of the Thunder (Conroe) IDPA group running some scheduled weekend BUG matches as well, but since I've moved out to the Northwest side, I haven't been very active with that group lately (Hard to make 6:30 hammer-down from where I work). Perhaps one of their regulars here could help with that.

Thread hijack over!
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

G192627 wrote:
I'd like to know of a club or range that's accepting of newbies, and that I could learn and not worry about embarrassment.
Wednesday Nights
-- Conroe, TX (Thunder Gun Range) -- Thunder Tactical Shooters -- Sign-in 6:00, Hammer-Down 6:30
-- Brookshire, TX (The Impact Zone) -- West Houston IDPA -- Sign-in 5:00, Hammer Down 6:00
Thursday Nights
-- Houston, TX (Shiloh Tactical Shooters) -- Shiloh Indoor Range -- Sign-in 6:30, Hammer-Down 7:00

I've shot with all three groups at different times, and they are all welcoming of newcomers...in fact, all encourage newcomers. There's also a new group in League City at the new Arms Room. I haven't shot there yet, but I promise you they'll welcome you with open arms (no pun intended).

Rumor has it that the Tactical Shooters Club is about to start something at Spring Guns and Ammo as well, but I don't know any details yet...wouldn't surprise me if they end up running Tuesday nights!

So yes...ALMOST any night you can free up you can find a place to shoot IDPA. And don't let the competition scare you--IDPA is a game where beginners can be just as competitive as masters.

bnc

Post by bnc »

There will be an intro to IDPA clinic held at the TexasCHLforum day at the PSC range in Pearland Oct. 23, sign up and join us!

viewforum.php?f=105

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Awesome info guys! Thanks. I think I'll try IDPA and likely at Impact Zone near here. I was thinking I'd watch first but I might as well try it then too. What have I got to lose besides pride? :)

I am not really as worried about winning or competing as much as I am about learning to shoot better and in a more "real world" scenario, etc. (as opposed to standing and shooting at paper)
I carry either a Glock 19, 26, 27, or 32 daily so I'll just use one of those. Likely the 19 first because of capacity and ammo costs. I don't really even know if I'm a good shooter. At local ranges when I compare to my neighbor's shooting I usually feel like I'm ok, I figure this will really tell me.

I have several holsters IWB and OWB. I'll likely start with the OWB. I don't have a magazine holster. I guess I need one of those!

Topic author
Scott in Houston

skub wrote:I live in Katy and shot IPSC a few times several years ago out at American as well, but then my son's schedule filled up my life (he played Katy football). Now that he is a freshman in college, I have just started shooting again, this time, IDPA out west of here at Impact Zone. You might want to go out to one of the matches and just watch one week, or you can just go shoot. The matches I go to are on Wednesday nights, although I know they are having a 3 gun competition today.

PM me if you want to connect about this, or go to a match.
Thanks! I'll check my schedule and when I can go, I'll pm you and we can meet out there. It's always good to meet others in the area with the same interest.

G.C.Montgomery
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

G192627 wrote:I've had my CHL about a year and I shoot at indoor ranges fairly often (almost weekly), but it's the same thing... shooting at a paper target from varying distances.

Years ago, before getting into shooting handguns, I watched a friend of mine do a shooting competition of sorts at American Shooting Center. They had you start lying down like you're in bed, you had to get up, load, and move through a set of obstacles while shooting at targets.

I've read discussions about shooting competitions that sound like you do this similar type of exercise for time and points.
I've never done this, and I admit, I'm somewhat intimidated, but you gotta start somewhere, so anyone have a good place to start?

No one is born with a gun in hand and we all started somewhere. I'm in Katy too and I shoot with WHIDPA at the Impact Zone (Wednesday evenings and 1st Saturday morning of the month). I also shoot with the new Sportsman Outlet, IDPA type club on Tuesday nights in Humble. I keep meaning to go hang out with the growing Monday night crowd down in League City at the Arms Room just to support the club and business but, given that home is just east of Fulshear, that's a long drive in the wrong direction for me.

Here's my advice. Check your ego at the door/fence when you show up and don't worry about being embarrassed. We shooters tend to point and laugh at each other a lot but, it is all in good fun. I'm imfamous for hosing away with total disregard for that funny bump on the end of the gun called a front sight. The thing that has kept me in the shooting sports since I was fourteen years old is the camaraderie that comes with the shooting community as a whole. Yes, there are some folks with egos bigger than Texas itself but, these folks a few and far between. Most folks/clubs welcome new shooters and do everything we can to help them along and grow the "brotherhood of the spiral tube." If you can make it to the Impact Zone in Brookshire by 6pm on a Wednesday evening, we can easily get you rolling. Anyone there would be more than happy to help. I probably won't be there this Wednesday but, I should be around next week.

To get to the Impact Zone, head out to Brookshire and take 359 up through Pattison. Hang a left at 529 and then a right at Kerr Road (there's a big utility sub-station at this intersection). As you head down Kerr Rd, look for a mailbox made out of IPSC targets on your left, directly across from a metal gate with skulls (cows, goats, and horses...not people) tied to the adjoining fence posts. That's the entrance...Be mindful of Uncle Phil's livestock. If you hit a cow, you'd better be hungry and have your check book handy. PM me for additional info.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

Blinking Dog

Post by Blinking Dog »

G.C.Montgomery wrote: Here's my advice. Check your ego at the door/fence when you show up and don't worry about being embarrassed.
This is excellent advice. I have long held the belief that the male ego is one of the biggest impediements to becoming a better shooter.

So like GCM says, check your ego. I'd suggest getting some instruction, because without proper instruction you may be reinforcing bad habits. And secondly, IDPA is geared towards the self-defense concept, which seems to be what you are looking for. Many clubs have let themselves get swayed into the competition mode a bit too much for my taste, but if self-defense is what you're looking to practice for then IDPA is as good as it will get for you in the way of organized groups. You might meet some folks at IDPA who are willing to shoot with you at a range that has "tactial bays" on a non-event day, and you can set up your own scenarios. I favor this, as it lets you train in an even more "real world" style without the gamesmanship and some of the rules. For instance, folks who design IDPA stages sometimes come up with odd scenarios and (to me) round counts that don't make sense. So you can do it yourself too, if you find the right range.

Good luck.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

G192627 wrote:
I have several holsters IWB and OWB. I'll likely start with the OWB. I don't have a magazine holster. I guess I need one of those!
If all goes well w/work, I'll be at Shiloh on Thursday night. I will have an extra double-stack mag pouch in my bag...if I'm not there, someone will. I've never known of a problem rounding up equipment at an IDPA match.

Bring your appetite. We traditionally go to Freebirds after the match...

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Thanks again guys. I travel a bit for work, so the next Wednesday I have in town, I'll be heading to impact zone!
I'm hoping that will be before October is over.

Good advice regarding ego. I should have known better. I've been a driving instructor with Porsche Club and that also translates into your first time on the track. Most males think they already know how to do it. The male ego is an issue there too.

See you guys at Impact Zone. I'll post on here when I'm sure I can make it. And I'll pm a couple of you too.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

There are USPSA / IPSC matches in the Houston area every Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday.

To find locations see:
http://www.texassouthsection.com/
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

jpierce30

Post by jpierce30 »

We will be back on schedule to shoot IDPA matches on the 4th Saturday of the month in January. Come on out we always have a good number of new shooters and always have a great time. Check out PSC-IDPA.com or PSC-Range.com for details.

GCM - I like the "brotherhood of the spiral tube" think I will have to rob that from you and start using it!

Jim

Return to “Shooting Ranges”