Why does it seem like 1 in 4 gun ranges are full of jerks?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

lowonair
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why does it seem like 1 in 4 gun ranges are full of jerk

Post by lowonair »

sapper740 wrote: ask him what a Huot or a Blish device is. If he can't answer those questions, tell him thanks but no thanks.

Y'all have a happy Fourth! :patriot: :txflag:
what if i dont even know what they are? :lol:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

sapper740 wrote:I find that a lot of small people are attracted to positions of authority, not to better the venue they are associated with, but to be able to exert some control, finally, over someone else. Some RO's (Range Officers) are no different than the Hall Monitor we all used to hate in High school or the president of the Home Owner's Association where we now live. Their creed is that it's better to be opinionated than educated. I've met some really stupid RO's who border on the dangerous e.g., my first (and only) visit to one indoor range was loudly interrupted as I proceeded to the firing line with my N frame S&W's muzzle pointing up. I was rudely told that they didn't want any holes in the ceiling so they enforced a muzzle down rule. I attempted to point out that a .429" hole in the ceiling was a lot better than a ricochet off the hard concrete floor to no avail. I refused to obey what I considered an "Illegal Command" and was ejected from the range. Their loss.
The other less dangerous but more annoying type I encounter frequently is everyone's nemesis, the self -appointed "Expert". I take great issue with anyone who calls themselves a firearms expert. In fact, I will go so far as to say there is no such thing. Why? The subject is too vast for any one man (or woman) to grasp in it's entirety. My avocation, and sometimes vocation has spanned some 43 years of experience with firearms, both military and civilian. I consider myself a One Percenter. What I mean by that is that I now know 1% of all the firearms knowledge there is to know. Yes, you heard me correctly, 1%. And that is about 1,000 times more than the average shooter you will encounter at the range. So the next time you have Joe the Firearms expert come up to you at the range, ask him what a Huot or a Blish device is. If he can't answer those questions, tell him thanks but no thanks.

Wow.... just wow. :roll:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

sapper740 wrote: ask him what a Huot or a Blish device is. If he can't answer those questions, tell him thanks but no thanks.
Just so you don't have to google it,

A Huot is a fine looking woman. A Blish is what you do when she turns around and notices that you are noticing that she is Huot.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Tregs

Post by Tregs »

Purplehood wrote:

A Huot is a fine looking woman. A Blish is what you do when she turns around and notices that you are noticing that she is Huot.
"rlol"

The Annoyed Man

Purplehood wrote:

You're my new Internet Knowledge hero! So can you tell me what a "murphy bar" or a "framistram" is? Inquiring minds, and all that.....

"rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Purplehood wrote:

You're my new Internet Knowledge hero! So can you tell me what a "murphy bar" or a "framistram" is? Inquiring minds, and all that.....

"rlol"
I only have 1% of the total knowledge in that particular field. :biggrinjester:
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

The Annoyed Man

Purplehood wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Purplehood wrote:

"rlol"
I only have 1% of the total knowledge in that particular field. :biggrinjester:
Pure genius! You win this thread. :smilelol5:

#TINVOWOOT

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

The Annoyed Man wrote: You're my new Internet Knowledge hero! So can you tell me what a "murphy bar" or a "framistram" is? Inquiring minds, and all that.....

"rlol"
A "Murphy Bar" is used to move the "Knuter Valve" sideways, so you can insert a "Framistram" to check your headlight fluid.

sapper740
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sapper740 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Purplehood wrote:

"rlol"
I'm sure you're very familiar with presenting instantaneously gained knowledge via the internet as wisdom, however, in my case I learned of the Huot while visiting a Regimental museum in Canada (the docent actually allowed me to hold it!) and the Blish device while delving deeply into dusty tomes regarding the developement of historic firearms.

:tiphat: Y'all have a nice day, Derek ;>)

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Oldgringo wrote:
Purplehood wrote:It mostly appears to be the folks at the counters that have this problem. Once you get on the firing line and the range/safety folks see that you appear to know your behind from a hole in the ground they tend to loosen up.
You could have been talking about the help, teenage and otherwise, in our one grocery store if I didn't know better.
Your grocery store has a firing line?

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Judging from at least one post, I see a few general rules here:

1. Don't go into a range and argue with them over their own safety rules. If you don't like them, leave.
2. Don't complain about arrogant gun range people if you bring your own arrogance with you.
3. If you want peace and quiet and to be left alone while shooting, join a private range.
4. Always check yourself and ask the Ron White question: "Maybe it's me?". You never know.

That is just a start. :mrgreen: :txflag:

Where is the thread by gun range guys asking why 1 in 4 shooters are jerks? :lol:

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

MechAg94 wrote:Judging from at least one post, I see a few general rules here:

1. Don't go into a range and argue with them over their own safety rules. If you don't like them, leave.
2. Don't complain about arrogant gun range people if you bring your own arrogance with you.
3. If you want peace and quiet and to be left alone while shooting, join a private range.
4. Always check yourself and ask the Ron White question: "Maybe it's me?". You never know.

That is just a start. :mrgreen: :txflag:

Where is the thread by gun range guys asking why 1 in 4 shooters are jerks? :lol:
:iagree:

I think it is necessary (and also preferable) for the range officers to have authority. Sure, some of the patrons may in fact be more knowledgable than some of the range officers. However, I really would not want to see a range where everyone who thought they knew more than the range officers felt free to question and over rule them.

If you don't like the rules, discuss them with whoever runs the range in a calm manner when you are not actually on the range. If you can't get that person to come around to your way of thinking, then decide whether you can live with their rules, and if not, you are free to go elsewhere. The point being that the time for questioning rules is when you are away from the firing line, NOT in the heat of shooting.

xdfanatic

Post by xdfanatic »

:iagree:
It's always on my mind whether or not I am in the wrong in those cases. I certainly think that if you don't like the rules or the lack of that you should take your business elsewhere. I never have nor will I ever be ejected from a range. I frequent many different ranges in the Houston area and am not really "well known" at very many. Also it helps to visit ranges whenever possible when they are the least busy. Generally I do not like to have a whole lot of people on the range at the same time as I am simply because it presents a higher probability for accidents. It's also nice to have a little breathing room as well.
OIF OEF Veteran
SA XD .45 Service, SA XD .40 SC, SA XD .45 Tactical Custom, S & W 22A, Ruger 10/22, Mossberg 500A, Remington 870 Super Mag,Colt AR-15 M4 setup

RiverCity.45

Post by RiverCity.45 »

pbwalker wrote: I need to find me some 50+ year old gents to shoot with...
If you want to shoot with experienced, real shooters (not the gansta' wannabes you've encountered at The Bullet Hole), try shooting at Bexar Community Range. Friendly folks, serious shooters, none of the posturing (though every now and then you have to teach someone the rules about safety on the line, since there's no range master running the various ranges).
9/21/09 - Received license
"Nothing is so dangerous as an idea when it is the only one you have." - Emile Chartier

jamisjockey

Post by jamisjockey »

I've seen enough holes in the dividing walls, tables, and ceilings at ranges that I get why some RO's are a little jumpy.
Strange RO experiences:
-Ejected without warning from a public range in Utah for "rapid firing" a Mosin Nagant rifle. This particular rifle felt like it had gravel in the action. I was shooting once every 3 or 4 seconds at best and they had a 1 second rule. I think the RO just didn't like the noise of the Nagant.
-Indoor range in VA that allowed you to fold up the table and work from the holster, etc. Shooting my P3AT from retention at 1 yard. RO waddles over and tells me it'd be easier if I used the sights on the pistol. Ok, yeah, thanks.
-Bailey's gun range nearby here. They wouldn't let me shoot my .45 or my buddy shoot his .40 at targets closer than 25 yards. Because people have been shooting up the target holders. :headscratch The only targets they had were these dinky little guys. At 25 yards, the front sight post on my 1911 would entirely cover the target they expected me to shoot at that range.... "rlol" The icing on the cake was that I was told to put my shotgun at one stall and go shoot my pistol from another stall. No, I couldn't take the shotgun down there with me and just come back to at lane when I'm done shooting the handgun, I had to leave it at that stall. Thanks, but no thanks. They did give me a refund, though.

Most of my experiences have been good, though, which of course makes the occasional bad experience stand out more.... :headscratch

Return to “Shooting Ranges”